MM Topic I just read an interesting blog...

G

Gary

This was penned by a young Mason. Take a look at what he has to say about the direction of our fraternity, and what we can do about it:

How To Save Freemasonry

I don't normally post links to other sites, but I'd like to discuss this topic in this thread. Please let me know what you think...

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I like it and agree with most everything he stated . I can care less about the alcohol and cigar bit ,as there is NO smoking in my lodge for health reasons of some of our older members and we either partake of alcohol or we don't , matters not to me because it is not something I am worried about .

Lax67

As a somewhat new Mason myself I echo his expressed thoughts, though not in there entirety, and particularly to his view of appendant bodies. I would also add Freemasonry: The Reality by Tobias Churton to his list of recommended reads.

Winter

I've been here before
Blah blah blah. It's all been said a thousand times before. Nobody was listening then and few are listening today.

[insert nasal voice] "There are no standards in the Craft Lodge, appendant bodies stole my new Masons, we can't drink in Lodge."

We have known the problem for some time, yet few lodges actually implement anything to effectively combat the problems. And if they do try something and results are not seen immediately, then they are deemed a failure. We already know what the issues are. What we need are concerted efforts across the board to work to solve them.

What I didn't like about his blog was the statement that Masonry does not need a dress code, that it can be done in casual clothes. I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.

The reason we dress up for Lodge is the same reason people dress up to attend whatever divine services they engage in. (or used to) Does the Great Archetect care if we wear a suit and tie to Lodge? Of course not. Don't be silly. By dressing in a particular and careful manner when engaging in practices that touch on the divine creates a distinct separateness. That we are engaged in the "Other" and that it is different from our mundane life. That it is important, unique, and requires our attention in a way that is special and sacred.

By approaching the divine or sacred aspects of our life in a manner no different than that with witch we go to a fast food restaurant, are we really experiencing the sacred correctly?

G

Gary

I chuckled to myself when I read it. The Brother obviously hasn't been properly indoctrinated into the politics of Freemasonry.

I do applaud him for saying what HE wants to get out of the fraternity though. If more mason's were open like that it could quite possibly enhance our fraternity, and allow it to grow in a positive direction that is beneficial for all of the brethren.

CoachN

Builder Builder
I chuckled to myself when I read it. The Brother obviously hasn't been properly indoctrinated into the politics of Freemasonry.

I do applaud him for saying what HE wants to get out of the fraternity though. If more mason's were open like that it could quite possibly enhance our fraternity, and allow it to grow in a positive direction that is beneficial for all of the brethren.
Agreed! :D

G

Gary

Blah blah blah. It's all been said a thousand times before. Nobody was listening then and few are listening today.

[insert nasal voice] "There are no standards in the Craft Lodge, appendant bodies stole my new Masons, we can't drink in Lodge."

We have known the problem for some time, yet few lodges actually implement anything to effectively combat the problems. And if they do try something and results are not seen immediately, then they are deemed a failure. We already know what the issues are. What we need are concerted efforts across the board to work to solve them.

What I didn't like about his blog was the statement that Masonry does not need a dress code, that it can be done in casual clothes. I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.

The reason we dress up for Lodge is the same reason people dress up to attend whatever divine services they engage in. (or used to) Does the Great Archetect care if we wear a suit and tie to Lodge? Of course not. Don't be silly. By dressing in a particular and careful manner when engaging in practices that touch on the divine creates a distinct separateness. That we are engaged in the "Other" and that it is different from our mundane life. That it is important, unique, and requires our attention in a way that is special and sacred.

By approaching the divine or sacred aspects of our life in a manner no different than that with witch we go to a fast food restaurant, are we really experiencing the sacred correctly?
LOL... if you read the comments at the bottom of his blog, I made a short comment about that.

While I do agree that what he said has been presented before, the fact remains that NEW Masons feel this way. They are the future of the fraternity. That to me, means that there is potential for change (albeit not immediate).

Winter

I've been here before
And that is one of the worst problems facing us today. A new Mason comes in and sees right away these glaring issues and at the same time they are allowed no tools to fix them.

My own situation when I joined the Craft many years ago is still affecting many new Brothers. I had this deep thirst to study the mysteries of Freemasonry and delve into the teachings but there was no one in my Lodge who could teach me. They knew the ritual words (mostly) and kept the lights on, but there was not much more than that. I was fortunate to find a teacher soon after I joined who had moved here from Scotland and was steeped in the old traditions. Bu that option just isn't available to most.

So they get frustrated and many just stop participating, even if they keep paying their dues and wearing the ring. becoming "paper masons". Or of they do actually try and shale things up, the "Old Guard" step on them, sometimes brutally. I agree it is great that he sees these issues and wants to change them. But his first line of attack, "wait till the old bastards die off" is a poor strategy.

Winter

I've been here before
<snip> I do applaud him for saying what HE wants to get out of the fraternity though. If more mason's were open like that it could quite possibly enhance our fraternity, and allow it to grow in a positive direction that is beneficial for all of the brethren.
We tried that with the Knights of the North and Laudable Pursuit and look where that got us.

Want to make some positive changes in your Lodge? Look at the MRF.

Lax67

We tried that with the Knights of the North and Laudable Pursuit and look where that got us.

Want to make some positive changes in your Lodge? Look at the MRF.
Winter, what are the Knights of the North, Laudable Pursuit and MRF?

Winter

I've been here before
Winter, what are the Knights of the North, Laudable Pursuit and MRF?
Knights of the North were a group of Masons from across North America that got together on a forum a few years ago to hash out what the problems in Masonry were and how we could fix them. The end result was a document called Laudable Pursuit. The KotN upset some people and are now defunct, but you can still download the most excellent document Laudable Pursuit here:

http://www.knightsofthenorth.com/documents/laudablepursuit.pdf

MRF is the Masonic Restoration Foundation.

Masonic Restoration Foundation

Since 2001, the MRF has been conducting research on the problems affecting American Masonry, identifying successful practices and offering realistic solutions aimed at reversing negative trends. We have interviewed hundreds of young men about their perceptions of Masonry, and what they seek in the lodge experience.

Lax67

Thanks, I'll read the pdf and look at the website.

So can anyone provide an explanation as to what the author of the blog article meant when he said the Word is an allegory? I petitioned a chapter in March, my first degree is scheduled for November, but I'm beginning to second guess joining a chapter and instead want to focus 100% of my efforts on Blue Lodge, in the spirit of what was written in the blog article. If this question is off topic, let me know.

Winter

I've been here before
Thanks, I'll read the pdf and look at the website.

So can anyone provide an explanation as to what the author of the blog article meant when he said the Word is an allegory? I petitioned a chapter in March, my first degree is scheduled for November, but I'm beginning to second guess joining a chapter and instead want to focus 100% of my efforts on Blue Lodge, in the spirit of what was written in the blog article. If this question is off topic, let me know.
Discussion of the "word" and it's meaning would be too difficult, I believe, to be carried out on a forum. Secrecy would necessitate too much vagueness to be effective. Look at the issues we had with the discussions recently on the word from the second degree! Even one of MY posts got reported! LOL

Zack

First of all I am admittedly a cynic and a skeptic.

I read nothing new. As a matter of fact, I have said or at least thought of most everything the Brother stated in his blog. Here and there is the "cry of the voice in the wilderness", occasionaly heard but mostly goes for nought.

Sad to say, but imo, nothing is going to change. Repeat, nothing is going to change. Nothing has changed in my 30+ years as a MM.

The way I see it is most members don't care whether Masonry changes or not. Most are satisfied just belonging and paying their dues. The majority of those that do attend lodge are satisfied with the way things are. And this satisfaction with the way things are goes all the way up the ladder.

Brother Winter mentioned "Knights of the North" and "Laudable Pursuit". When this first came out I really thought it would be the turning point. I mean how could it not? So many truths were in "Laudable Pursuit" and so many solutions to so many problems were offered. As Brother Winter said, but in different words, it fell on deaf ears.

I truly believe that FM has reached the tipping point and is going to get worse before it changes for the better. I also believe that it will be better for it. I wish I could be around to see if it happens.

Just my opinion.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Sorry Brother Winter... were you saying something? :p
...We have known the problem for some time, yet few lodges actually implement anything to effectively combat the problems. ...
If you combat the symptoms, they will never go away because the "cause" is never addressed.
And that is one of the worst problems facing us today. A new Mason comes in and sees right away these glaring issues and at the same time they are allowed no tools to fix them.
What he sees are the symptoms...
But his first line of attack, "wait till the old bastards die off" is a poor strategy.
WHAT!? That's not how you're supposed to do it?!?!?! Please say it ain't so!!!! :eek:
Discussion of the "word" and it's meaning would be too difficult, I believe, to be carried out on a forum. Secrecy would necessitate too much vagueness to be effective. ...
The M's Word is not a secret; it's a mystery though -- to most. That's what causes all the difficulty. ;)

G

Gary

Discussion of the "word" and it's meaning would be too difficult, I believe, to be carried out on a forum. Secrecy would necessitate too much vagueness to be effective. Look at the issues we had with the discussions recently on the word from the second degree! Even one of MY posts got reported! LOL

Yup, but it wasn't a personal slight. It was a whisper of brotherly counsel to avoid any potential issues. We love you and you know it. ;)

CoachN

Builder Builder
...I truly believe that FM has reached the tipping point and is going to get worse before it changes for the better. I also believe that it will be better for it. I wish I could be around to see if it happens.
Yuppers. Me too! ;)

G

Gary

@ Bro. Zack:

Laudable Pursuit is one of the finest documents I have read. It may have fallen on deaf ears for the 'current' hierarchy of Freemasonry, but rest assured it did not die.

Those brave Brothers did not create that work in vain. That document will carry on and be a beacon of light for future generations. I myself am one of those who will carry the torch. I'm not positive, but I think Brother Winter, and a few others here might be along for the ride with me.