MM Topic I just read an interesting blog...

Laudable Pursuits...ORIGINALLY was a book written by PGM Dwight Smith of the GL of Indiana F&AM in the 1960's about the state of masonry in America.....

Laudable Pursuit: A 21st Century Response to Dwight Smith is the article by the Knights of the North..... and I know that one of its authors is a member on this forum

G

Gary

Laudable Pursuits...ORIGINALLY was a book written by PGM Dwight Smith of the GL of Indiana F&AM in the 1960's about the state of masonry in America.....

Laudable Pursuit: A 21st Century Response to Dwight Smith is the article by the Knights of the North..... and I know that one of its authors is a member on this forum
Thanks for the clarification Brother!

I enjoyed the blog and see great promise in what the author has written. I, too, am a young Mason and see things very much through the same lens that he does. While he may be seeking to address the symptoms versus the problem, I think that what is critical is that he is seeking to address something. He is not sitting idly by with the expectation that someone else will do the fixing. Nor does he seem to be content with the fact that it cannot be fixed. So for that I applaud him.

Perhaps more importantly, the response to his blog from some of the Brothers in this thread is a bit frustrating. Comments like (paraphrasing here) “he clearly doesn’t understand the politics of Freemasonry yet” or “the hierarchy will not allow change” are misguided in my opinion. It reminds me very much of the people who complain that “the government is oppressing us” or “the government is taking us down the wrong path”, etc. My response to those people and my response to the Brothers here is the same…. “You are the government. You are the hierarchy. You drive the politics.” Members of the Grand Lodge are Brothers just like you and I. If you want to see change, you need to be that change. Are there entrenched good old boy networks in the GL lines? Probably. I am still too young as a Mason to know. But the bottom line is that if you want to see change, you need to be involved. There are certainly enough Brothers who would like to see change in Masonry to have an impact. But it is not an overnight change and will take years, most likely. We need to lead this change by example. We need to be involved in the politics and the hierarchy. Masonry, Government and Society in general can all be impacted when people seek to impact it. We either lead the charge or stop criticizing. One thing is certain. By criticizing those who are stepping out to make proposals and lead change, we will only ensure that it never happens. Just my opinion.

Your Brother,

Jason

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I agree with a lot the young brother has to say also.

In my area there is a lodge that has gone towards more of a T.O. Lodge, they have put in a dress code of dark suit, tie & white gloves and they have good attendance at their regular meeting. Some issues arose when they tried to change the ritual of the GL of NE and do some things that are not approved and are deemed not proper by the Deputy Grand Custodian of their area. There was some fallout and a couple of brothers, who were the originators of the movement to T.O., got upset and (IMO) acted rather childish and threatened to drop out of Masonry altogether. It has since calmed down, and they are getting along much better.

I like the idea of the T.O. Lodge but it is not within the length of my cabletow to drive th 106 miles to attend their lodge the night before my own lodge meeting. The trip home is a killer, and, as Secretary, I need to get all the meeting items ready for our meeting the next night. There is another T.O. Lodge in NE but it is even furthur away (over 200 miles). I have tossed around the idea of starting a T.O. Lodge in my hometown but that is all the furthur it has gotten.

Winter

I've been here before
I don't think anyone here was criticizing him personally. What we were bitching about is the fact that people keep saying the same thing about the same problems and very little if anything gets done about them. That is what was being criticized. Good for him for speaking out. His idea about how to effect change was silly, though.

Trust me, spend as long as myself and some others here have spent trying to effect positive change in our own jurisdictions and you'll get frustrated too.

G

Gary

I enjoyed the blog and see great promise in what the author has written. I, too, am a young Mason and see things very much through the same lens that he does. While he may be seeking to address the symptoms versus the problem, I think that what is critical is that he is seeking to address something. He is not sitting idly by with the expectation that someone else will do the fixing. Nor does he seem to be content with the fact that it cannot be fixed. So for that I applaud him.

Perhaps more importantly, the response to his blog from some of the Brothers in this thread is a bit frustrating. Comments like (paraphrasing here) “he clearly doesn’t understand the politics of Freemasonry yet” or “the hierarchy will not allow change” are misguided in my opinion. It reminds me very much of the people who complain that “the government is oppressing us” or “the government is taking us down the wrong path”, etc. My response to those people and my response to the Brothers here is the same…. “You are the government. You are the hierarchy. You drive the politics.” Members of the Grand Lodge are Brothers just like you and I. If you want to see change, you need to be that change. Are there entrenched good old boy networks in the GL lines? Probably. I am still too young as a Mason to know. But the bottom line is that if you want to see change, you need to be involved. There are certainly enough Brothers who would like to see change in Masonry to have an impact. But it is not an overnight change and will take years, most likely. We need to lead this change by example. We need to be involved in the politics and the hierarchy. Masonry, Government and Society in general can all be impacted when people seek to impact it. We either lead the charge or stop criticizing. One thing is certain. By criticizing those who are stepping out to make proposals and lead change, we will only ensure that it never happens. Just my opinion.

Your Brother,

Jason
Bro. Jason,

The next time you want to quote me, please don't paraphrase. I expect to get full credit for my comments. I don't get offended when people don't like what I have to say so don't worry about that.

You see, there is little if anything that can be done instantaneously. Those of us that want to see the changes, must place ourselves in positions to do so. We have to wait out the longevity of those who disagree with our linear way of thinking. Either that, or buy your way to the top. If you don't believe me, ask your Grand Line officers how much they spent to get where they are. Either way, good luck with that endeavor, as the GL officers recycle themselves in the line.

Thinking that these changes occur by simply showing up in Lodge and doing what you think should be done, will land you in deep water with the GL. If you are going to implement change, you have to do it over a long period of time.

I had the same misconceptions about the fraternity as you do. I got a very rude awakening as soon as I started asking questions and bumping the system. If it weren't for a couple of Brother Masons who taught me some survival skills, I would have left after I received the Master Mason degree, and never looked back.

Lax67

I'll go out on a limb here and say that most young guys that come in recognize the problems, or at least symptoms of the underlying problems, and then earnestly, with good intentions, proceed to espouse suggestions and "new ways" of doing things to better the institution. After doing so, they are met with indifference and apathy from existing members. I think that creates frustration and some new/young brothers turn to writing blogs, articles, etc and outline a list of complaints centered on the unwillingness of Masons to change or responde to 'new ways' or 'new ideas'

As a relatively young, and most definitely new Mason I'm tempted to follow down that path as well. But I also recognize that a new guy can't possibly come into an established organization and expect immediate change that would conform to HIS way of thinking, or that brothers will listen to his "great" suggestions.

I think new/young Masons would be better off if they focused on participating in their blue lodge, learning as much as they can, ask questions, and then keep notes as to what they'd like to do differently as they move into the top three chairs.

For example, I read Laudable Pursuits: a 21st Century Response and think there's some great ideas in there. I'll keep some of those ideas in mind as I move through the chairs and attempt to nudge things in different directions to implement those ideas.

I guess in short, new Masons need to be more patient and let this new experience unfold slowly for themselves.

G

Gary

I think everyone in this discussion is on the same page. We all want to improve our experience in Freemasonry.

Making changes at the individual Lodge level is a great start. New Master Masons should get involved with their Lodges. If so inclined, they should get in the chairs and work towards WM.

That isn't the only route one can direct change. I respectfully submit that change IS already occurring. Masonic Education/ Ritual study has enabled many Masons to build solid foundations for Masonry. Many of us don't feel we need to be only a social club.

Bro. Jason,
The next time you want to quote me, please don't paraphrase. I expect to get full credit for my comments. I don't get offended when people don't like what I have to say so don't worry about that.
Duly Noted.

You see, there is little if anything that can be done instantaneously.
I agree here Brother. The blog being discussed doesn’t propose any instantaneous changes, per se. He simply proposes using the guidelines already in place that are simply not followed today. He wrote:

“There are also some of us, probably most of us, who like the materials we have been given by our Grand Lodges and just want our brothers to use them. Just use them. That’s all.”

Those of us that want to see the changes, must place ourselves in positions to do so. We have to wait out the longevity of those who disagree with our linear way of thinking. Either that, or buy your way to the top. If you don't believe me, ask your Grand Line officers how much they spent to get where they are. Either way, good luck with that endeavor, as the GL officers recycle themselves in the line.
I don’t think anyone, at least as I read it, it proposing any changes that require Grand Lodge involvement. Again, he is simply asking that we do what is already expected (with the exception of the alcohol consumption).

Thinking that these changes occur by simply showing up in Lodge and doing what you think should be done, will land you in deep water with the GL. If you are going to implement change, you have to do it over a long period of time.

I had the same misconceptions about the fraternity as you do. I got a very rude awakening as soon as I started asking questions and bumping the system. If it weren't for a couple of Brother Masons who taught me some survival skills, I would have left after I received the Master Mason degree, and never looked back.
Perhaps they are misconceptions. Again, I am a young and admittedly idealistic Mason, but I have absolutely no intention of learning “survival skills” to deal with Grand Lodge or any other aspect of Masonry. I have no fear of “deep water” or any other potential backlash from Grand Lodge for promoting Masonry in Lodge. I plan to continue to practice Masonry as I believe it was designed to be practiced and will seek to influence others accordingly. I have no grand notion that a year from now or potentially ever that my entire Lodge will see Masonry as I see it. That is ok. I will continue to offer suggestions to improve the Lodge experience. I will continue to promote Masonic education. I will continue to lead as much as possible by example. I will do so with the understanding that many, perhaps even most, of my Lodge Brothers came to Masonry seeking nothing more than a social club. I do not fault these Brothers as much as those that allowed them to pass through the West Gate. But the presence of Masons who do not want to practice Masonry should not prevent us from doing so.

As you have stated, I think that the majority of us are on the same page. We differ only in our perceived willingness to push back on the system. At the end of the day, we are all just Brothers with differing opinions, but that is what is so great about meeting on the level. A quote to ponder as we think about bringing about change:

“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.” Winston Churchill

G

Gary

Duly Noted.\

:p

I agree here Brother. The blog being discussed doesn’t propose any instantaneous changes, per se. He simply proposes using the guidelines already in place that are simply not followed today. He wrote:

“There are also some of us, probably most of us, who like the materials we have been given by our Grand Lodges and just want our brothers to use them. Just use them. That’s all.”
That's just it. If you read my jurisdictions "list" of approved materials, you'd be sorely disappointed by the lack of esoteric material. If you like ad nauseum references to masonic etiquette, rules and regulations, etc., then that is different.

My jurisdiction doesn't offer me what I'm interested in as far as their masonic materials.

Perhaps they are misconceptions. Again, I am a young and admittedly idealistic Mason, but I have absolutely no intention of learning “survival skills” to deal with Grand Lodge or any other aspect of Masonry. I have no fear of “deep water” or any other potential backlash from Grand Lodge for promoting Masonry in Lodge. I plan to continue to practice Masonry as I believe it was designed to be practiced and will seek to influence others accordingly. I have no grand notion that a year from now or potentially ever that my entire Lodge will see Masonry as I see it. That is ok. I will continue to offer suggestions to improve the Lodge experience. I will continue to promote Masonic education. I will continue to lead as much as possible by example. I will do so with the understanding that many, perhaps even most, of my Lodge Brothers came to Masonry seeking nothing more than a social club. I do not fault these Brothers as much as those that allowed them to pass through the West Gate. But the presence of Masons who do not want to practice Masonry should not prevent us from doing so.

As you have stated, I think that the majority of us are on the same page. We differ only in our perceived willingness to push back on the system. At the end of the day, we are all just Brothers with differing opinions, but that is what is so great about meeting on the level. A quote to ponder as we think about bringing about change:

“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.” Winston Churchill
Oh, make no mistake, I'm not afraid to push against the grain either. But I feel you are headed for either a great deal of heartache or worse if you think you don't need to learn some survival skills. You say you aren't afraid of deep water, I respectfully submit that you probably haven't ever been swimming with the sharks yet either. Those that run the machine that is Freemasonry, have no intention of letting anyone change it in any substantial way. It is designed to survive. By that I mean that it needs members. At whatever cost, it needs numbers. That often leaves little guarding at the West Gate.

I know of a Brother who has rattled some very tall trees in his jurisdiction GL. Not because he is a trouble maker, but because he seeks to improve Masonry (notice that I didn't say Freemasonry. There is a BIG difference) and the GL doesn't like what he proposes. They've blocked him at every turn.

For his troubles, he has basically been insulted, given the run around, and it has cost him a great deal financially. I'm surprised that they haven't gunned to boot him from the fraternity for being a problem causer. So much for acting upon the Square and meeting on the Level.

If you can make changes, or even support what has already been established in your jurisdiction, by all means do so. I wish you a lifetime of good fortune in that endeavor.

Brother Gary,

I appreciate your response and your perspective. In response, I think that two main areas of focus have arisen in our discourse.

First is what our expectation is in terms of successfully bringing about change. I will share my own perspective. I would love to go to Lodge twice a month to meet with like minded Masons and study the esoteric teachings of the Craft late into the night. Enjoy a nice meal (something not served on a Styrofoam plate). Dress up a bit and leave feeling like I had made strides in my quest to become a better man. This would be my ideal. I do not see this happening on a regular basis. But what I can see happening is going to Lodge twice a month and sharing, at least at a cursory level, some of the knowledge that I have gained in my studies of the esoteric side with my less informed Brothers. I can see an interest in further study by those passive Light seekers who were afraid to talk about deeper meanings because it interfered with minutes, bills and charitable donation discussion time. I can see Brotherly Love being displayed in leading the Lodge to take better care of its members. I can see a slight increase in attendance by the older Brothers who stopped coming because the standard of ritual work had gone down so much because they see or hear of a new focus on ritual. More importantly, I can see all of this without any tree rattling at the GL level. For my esoteric studies, I seek out like minded Brothers outside of my Lodge whether in forums like this or in small, private meet-up groups. I see this as a success. The reading list for my jurisdiction is probably not much different than yours. Would I like to see that change? Of course. But I do not see that as being a key metric in the successful changes needed.

Freemasonry (attempting to use Freemasonry and Masonry appropriately J ) has so many foundational issues, that the in-Lodge study of esoteric material is one of the least of my worries. I attend a Lodge with a membership of 100 that sees at most 15-20 members present, 12 or so that are Past Masters. We have Brothers that are in nursing care and in distress that have never received a call from our Lodge! Brotherly Love and Relief are far from being applied as they should be. Truth, Masonic Education, as you allude to is nothing more than a few canned short-talks from Grand Lodge four times per year. That is something that can easily be changed. So in terms of my expectations, I see successful change coming in several small chunks and over the long haul just as you suggest.

Secondly, you are possibly right in your submission that I have yet to swim with the sharks. But I see Freemasonry from a different, perhaps naive, perspective. There are no sharks. There is nothing and nobody within the machine that can do me any harm. I am a man and a Mason. The un-Masonic backlash that could perhaps befall me from an entrenched network of GL officers does not change that. Now, I am not blind to what you have seen. There is a great deal of un-Masonic behavior within the world of Freemasonry. Despite our words, we are often far from meeting on the Level, and acting upon the Square. But as a Mason I feel not only entitled, but obligated to point out and attempt to correct these types of behaviors among my Brothers. Whether that Brother has a “Worshipful”, “Right-Worshipful” or “Most-Worshipful” as a title, I see him as a Brother and will treat him accordingly. Will this land me in “trouble”? Perhaps. But the only thing that they can ever take away from me is a dues card…and I do not need a dues card to live as a Mason.

I can tend to be very long winded and at times come across as harsh. I hope I have not done so in this case. I enjoy these discussions and feel that they can only strengthen us as Masons and in the long run the machine itself as well.

Your Brother,

Jason

G

Gary

Brother Gary,

I appreciate your response and your perspective. In response, I think that two main areas of focus have arisen in our discourse.

First is what our expectation is in terms of successfully bringing about change. I will share my own perspective. I would love to go to Lodge twice a month to meet with like minded Masons and study the esoteric teachings of the Craft late into the night. Enjoy a nice meal (something not served on a Styrofoam plate). Dress up a bit and leave feeling like I had made strides in my quest to become a better man. This would be my ideal. I do not see this happening on a regular basis. But what I can see happening is going to Lodge twice a month and sharing, at least at a cursory level, some of the knowledge that I have gained in my studies of the esoteric side with my less informed Brothers. I can see an interest in further study by those passive Light seekers who were afraid to talk about deeper meanings because it interfered with minutes, bills and charitable donation discussion time. I can see Brotherly Love being displayed in leading the Lodge to take better care of its members. I can see a slight increase in attendance by the older Brothers who stopped coming because the standard of ritual work had gone down so much because they see or hear of a new focus on ritual. More importantly, I can see all of this without any tree rattling at the GL level. For my esoteric studies, I seek out like minded Brothers outside of my Lodge whether in forums like this or in small, private meet-up groups. I see this as a success. The reading list for my jurisdiction is probably not much different than yours. Would I like to see that change? Of course. But I do not see that as being a key metric in the successful changes needed.

Freemasonry (attempting to use Freemasonry and Masonry appropriately J ) has so many foundational issues, that the in-Lodge study of esoteric material is one of the least of my worries. I attend a Lodge with a membership of 100 that sees at most 15-20 members present, 12 or so that are Past Masters. We have Brothers that are in nursing care and in distress that have never received a call from our Lodge! Brotherly Love and Relief are far from being applied as they should be. Truth, Masonic Education, as you allude to is nothing more than a few canned short-talks from Grand Lodge four times per year. That is something that can easily be changed. So in terms of my expectations, I see successful change coming in several small chunks and over the long haul just as you suggest.

Secondly, you are possibly right in your submission that I have yet to swim with the sharks. But I see Freemasonry from a different, perhaps naive, perspective. There are no sharks. There is nothing and nobody within the machine that can do me any harm. I am a man and a Mason. The un-Masonic backlash that could perhaps befall me from an entrenched network of GL officers does not change that. Now, I am not blind to what you have seen. There is a great deal of un-Masonic behavior within the world of Freemasonry. Despite our words, we are often far from meeting on the Level, and acting upon the Square. But as a Mason I feel not only entitled, but obligated to point out and attempt to correct these types of behaviors among my Brothers. Whether that Brother has a “Worshipful”, “Right-Worshipful” or “Most-Worshipful” as a title, I see him as a Brother and will treat him accordingly. Will this land me in “trouble”? Perhaps. But the only thing that they can ever take away from me is a dues card…and I do not need a dues card to live as a Mason.

I can tend to be very long winded and at times come across as harsh. I hope I have not done so in this case. I enjoy these discussions and feel that they can only strengthen us as Masons and in the long run the machine itself as well.

Your Brother,

Jason
Bro. Jason,

Don't worry about being long winded. You certainly don't come across as harsh (at least not to me). I also enjoy discussions like these. There are a few of us who participate in them, and there are a majority who read, and don't respond.

Either way, we learn from each other. I like you. You've got moxie. ;)