MM Topic I just read an interesting blog...

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Much of what I have to say has already been stated .

Being new does not mean you can not make changes in your lodge . What I did was found like minded brethren who has been around for a long time and dropped hints . They would take my "hint" and run with it . When , I (or they) had gotten one project off the ground , I would start dropping hints again until I ( or they) got another idea up and running . I really do not care who received the kudos , just as long as they had gotten done .

This is one of the problems I have seen with new Masons , they come in with guns blazing and leave all disappointed when they can not make all the changes they want all at once . You have to learn to play the system . You can get what you want through the older brethren , you just have to find the right brothers open to suggestions and use them to your advantage . And you can not expect everything to turn around within months , you have to make changes a little at a time so you will not throw the old heads into fits . I have found you can slip something by the old heads , one idea at a time , much easier than throwing everything at them at once . It has taken me years to get my lodge closer to where I want it to be , I am still working at it , but it is getting there .

G

Gary

Much of what I have to say has already been stated .

I will add that we have education in lodge , not to deep , just enough to peak their interest , but not enough to bore the members as not everyone is into it . What we do have is a local group who gathers once or twice a month on our own that delves into the deeper meaning of Freemasonry . I attend , but like here , I simply sit back and soak it in . When they look at me for input , I merely give them them a hand gesture to proceed , I am just soaking it all in .

Being new does not mean you can not make changes in your lodge . What I did was found like minded brethren who has been around for a long time and dropped hints . They would take my "hint" and run with it . When , I (or they) had gotten one project off the ground , I would start dropping hints again until I ( or they) got another idea up and running . I really do not care who received the kudos , just as long as they had gotten done .

This is one of the problems I have seen with new Masons , they come in with guns blazing and leave all disappointed when they can not make all the changes they want all at once . You have to learn to play the system . You can get what you want through the older brethren , you just have to find the right brothers open to suggestions and use them to your advantage . And you can not expect everything to turn around within months , you have to make changes a little at a time so you will not throw the old heads into fits . I have found you can slip something by the old heads , one idea at a time , much easier than throwing everything at them at once . It has taken me years to get my lodge closer to where I want it to be , I am still working at it , but it is getting there .

That's good advice Bro. Ashlar.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Thanks Bro. Gary .

But do not take it that I am saying new Masons can not stand up in lodge and make suggestions for change , new programs , education etc; etc; because they have every right to do so . What I am saying is that do not throw out to much at the Craft at once . Pick something , run with it , get it done and then try something else later down the road . Get the older brethren who think as you do on your side , let them propose changes while you are still new because , as much as I hate to say it , they will be taken more seriously by the old heads as they have been around much longer .

chodapp

Knights of the North were a group of Masons from across North America that got together on a forum a few years ago to hash out what the problems in Masonry were and how we could fix them. The end result was a document called Laudable Pursuit. The KotN upset some people and are now defunct, but you can still download the most excellent document Laudable Pursuit here:

http://www.knightsofthenorth.com/documents/laudablepursuit.pdf

MRF is the Masonic Restoration Foundation.

Masonic Restoration Foundation
The Knights of the North went on to form The Masonic Society, and Laudable Pursuit has influenced about 5 years' worth of officers and GL officers. Freemasonry makes changes like trying to turn an oil tanker. It takes time, but the changes are happening now.

The Knights of the North went on to form The Masonic Society, and Laudable Pursuit has influenced about 5 years' worth of officers and GL officers. Freemasonry makes changes like trying to turn an oil tanker. It takes time, but the changes are happening now.
Word has it that some very smart Brothers collaborated on the project...;)

G

Gary

Interesting background Bro. Hodapp. Thanks for sharing!

I wanted to share an experience that I had on Saturday that I think very much pertains to this discussion.

I attended a JW/SW workshop and we happened to be joined by a Grand Lodge officer. He was asked if he had any general comments to share and said the following:

(paraphrasing again, sorry)

"I think it is great that you are all here today learning about the business side of Masonry, but I want to remind you that what is more important is the Brotherly side of Masonry. It is critical that we recognize that each and every man that walks through the Lodge door is your Brother...and he should be treated as such.

Right now is dues collection time and there is something that I want to drive home. I am not concerned with losing members who just have no interest in Masonry. For some men, Masonry just isn't what they are looking for....and that is ok....I am concerned with men leaving Masonry because we have failed in our obligation to treat them as Brothers. We are first and foremost a fraternity. Do not get caught up in the business side of Masonry and treat your Brothers as just another dues paying member."

I was so refreshed to hear this from a GL officer and approached him afterwards to thank him for his comments. He reiterated what he had said and thanked me for a recent blog post in the Millennial Freemason that had apparently found its way into his mail box on charity. He and I saw Masonry very much the same and he was very concerned that we were losing sight of our Fraternal bonds because of our financial bonds. I just wanted to share this because to me it confirmed that GL does not always have to be the barrier. As far as this Brother and his intentions in the Grand Lodge Line, I think that we have good things to look forward to.

Just wanted to share...

Your Brother,

Jason

CoachN

Builder Builder
I wanted to share an experience that I had on Saturday that I think very much pertains to this discussion.

I attended a JW/SW workshop and we happened to be joined by a Grand Lodge officer. He was asked if he had any general comments to share and said the following:

(paraphrasing again, sorry)

"I think it is great that you are all here today learning about the business side of Masonry, but I want to remind you that what is more important is the Brotherly side of Masonry. It is critical that we recognize that each and every man that walks through the Lodge door is your Brother...and he should be treated as such.

Right now is dues collection time and there is something that I want to drive home. I am not concerned with losing members who just have no interest in Masonry. For some men, Masonry just isn't what they are looking for....and that is ok....I am concerned with men leaving Masonry because we have failed in our obligation to treat them as Brothers. We are first and foremost a fraternity. Do not get caught up in the business side of Masonry and treat your Brothers as just another dues paying member."

I was so refreshed to hear this from a GL officer and approached him afterwards to thank him for his comments. He reiterated what he had said and thanked me for a recent blog post in the Millennial Freemason that had apparently found its way into his mail box on charity. He and I saw Masonry very much the same and he was very concerned that we were losing sight of our Fraternal bonds because of our financial bonds. I just wanted to share this because to me it confirmed that GL does not always have to be the barrier. As far as this Brother and his intentions in the Grand Lodge Line, I think that we have good things to look forward to.

Just wanted to share...

Your Brother,

Jason
Thanks Brother Jason.

How in the world did this guy climb in the organization and, what's more, can we clone him?

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Thanks Brother Jason.

How in the world did this guy climb in the organization and, what's more, can we clone him?
I believe the DGM (next in line) is using "The Future of Freemasonry is You" theme this year. I've been told it will have more focus on education. :eek:
Someone found out the secrets!:p

CoachN

Builder Builder
I believe the DGM (next in line) is using "The Future of Freemasonry is You" theme this year. I've been told it will have more focus on education. :eek:
Someone found out the secrets!:p
Education?!?! What's that got to do with... oh, never mind...

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
The question is what is the education focused on? I for one like our new Asst. LEO's approach. We recently had a dicussion of morality, with some quotes from "Fight Club" and some other places. Talked of the CO who made his troops write there own obituaries.

piginthepoke

I was just going to have a read after getting the email bulletin and the blog no longer exists :/

Edit: I found the cached version on google. It was certainly an interesting blog post.

jaya

I wonder why he removed his blog???? Part of his post can be found on the Dummies blog found at Freemasons For Dummies: "Saving Freemasonry". As for change. Nothing changes if nothing changes. By that I mean if we continue to do the exact same thing, we will get the exact same results. Change can not be rapid. We must take time to effectively change Freemasonry. There are a few of us in line that have started working together planning for the next few years. Also, the GL of NC has training events for lodge officers as well as a school for deacons to help teach them and give them the tools to make their year in the east as effective as possible. If things work out the way I have been told, I should be attending Wilkerson College this comming year.