Reading list

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Right now , since I finished up my Scottish Rite degrees , it's " A Bridge to Light " .
I've always liked " the Meaning of Masonry " by W. L. Wilmshurst . I've read a few times and find something I've missed . Mackey's " Encyclopedia of Freemasonry " is a good one . " The Craft and it's Symbols " by Allen E. Roberts is great for new MM's .

I bought S. Brent Morriss's " Complete Idiots Guide To Freemasonry " so my wife could read it get better explaination of Freemasonry . It's actually pretty good .

rustybones49801

A Rough Ashlar
I am burning through the Hiram series by Lomas, then on to Mackeys encyclopedia. I have bought Morriss's book as well and have left it in the living room(for guests.....)

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Well, goodness, let's start it here and them the mods can sticky it.

I'm re-reading Carl Claudy right now. Out of print, but anything you can get of his is great!

G

Gary

I'm currently reading Albert Pike's Esoterika "The Symbolism of the Blue Degrees of Freemasonry". It's Transcribed and Annotated by Arturo de Hoyos.

Brother de Hoyos recommended it to me after I asked him some questions about the Degree lectures. I've learned more in the preface alone than I ever thought possible. I'll be re-reading this book a couple of times for sure.

Then it's on to Morals and Dogma...

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Pass it over to me when your done Gary . Joking , I have to pick myself up a copy of that .

Right now , I am reading both Morals and Dogma during the day AND "The Masonic Myth" by Jay Kinney .

G

Gary

I've thumbed through the copy of Morals and Dogma in my Lodge's library, unfortunately they won't let it leave the room. It's a tome for sure.

I've tried several times to buy a copy online, but the source either sells out before my order completes or the book just winds up being crazy expensive on Ebay.

Jason says he may be able to help me out, so a side by side with MD for the 21st century may be in order if he comes through.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
A side by side is the way to read it IMO .

I have a Brother/friend who is a purist and will not read the new Morals and Dogma . I am trying to talk him into giving it a chance .

G

Gary

I wonder what he is opposed to? Is it that he thinks the work is somehow changed?

Times change, and sometimes a different perspective on an older topic adds relevance to the overall message of the work. Take Sun Tsu's The Art of War for example. It's not only applied to warfare but business and other strategic planning as well. Had we not looked at it from a different view, it's applications may not have been fully realized. Jes sayin'

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I wonder what he is opposed to? Is it that he thinks the work is somehow changed?

Times change, and sometimes a different perspective on an older topic adds relevance to the overall message of the work. Take Sun Tsu's The Art of War for example. It's not only applied to warfare but business and other strategic planning as well. Had we not looked at it from a different view, it's applications may not have been fully realized. Jes sayin'
He is just a purist and likes the old writing styles . He will eventually come around and read it because he can not go without reading anything and everything Masonic .

G

Gary

He is just a purist and likes the old writing styles . He will eventually come around and read it because he can not go without reading anything and everything Masonic .
Resistance is futile..His curiosity will get the best of him...LOL

D.J.Elliott

I have just finished "Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry" by John Robinson. Very interesting read and definitely made me think about the birth of the Craft.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I have just finished "Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry" by John Robinson. Very interesting read and definitely made me think about the birth of the Craft.
Yes, that is an interesting book. My problem with it is the way he comes to conclusions: there's evidence of Templars in Scotland. Therefore - the Templars became Masons. There's a big piece of reasoning missing in the middle.

BroGregWilson

I'm in! Just finished "The Lost Keys of Freemasonry" written by Brother Manly P. Hall. Originally published in 1923, this book is now in print with an ISBN 1-58542-510-9. Interesting to read something that was written so many years ago.

Fraternally,

Bro Greg

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Doh!

Yes, that is an interesting book. My problem with it is the way he comes to conclusions: there's evidence of Templars in Scotland. Therefore - the Templars became Masons. There's a big piece of reasoning missing in the middle.
You mean the "then a miracle happens" part?:D

Meant to put a quip in this piece of the thread and hit the wrong button.