Should Masons have firearms?

Winter

I've been here before
I see no problem with packing in a Lodge building as long as it is not carried into the Sanctum Sanctorum. Remember the Rite of Destitution.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Bob and Winter, I'm interested in your side thread. So I might need in on the PM.

So Ohio is looking like we're going to have SB17 signed into law which would allow those with a CCW to carry into places with a class d liquor license. This now adds restaurants, stadiums and bars. As long as the permit holder is not intoxicated in any way. These building can still place a conspicuous {sp} sign saying "NO Carry Here" basically.

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
Bob and Winter, I'm interested in your side thread. So I might need in on the PM.

So Ohio is looking like we're going to have SB17 signed into law which would allow those with a CCW to carry into places with a class d liquor license. This now adds restaurants, stadiums and bars. As long as the permit holder is not intoxicated in any way. These building can still place a conspicuous {sp} sign saying "NO Carry Here" basically.
Sounds good.

batman820

I am 43, I have been carrying a gun since I was 18 in the Army. I got my FL CCW adn have carried everyday of my life. I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I know that there are plenty of LEO brothers at my lodge and we all carry. However, I was taught that in open lodge there should be nothing worn or carried on your person of an offensive or defensive nature, (unless you are the tyler).

Joe PM Hibiscus Lodge #275 2001

Why wouldnt a mason be allowed to carry a gun? As long as you abide by the laws then I see no reason why not....... but they should be checked at the door of the Lodge.

Zack

Bro Gary,
wasn't there legislation concerning guns on lodge property introduced at GL this year?

G

Gary

Bro Gary,
wasn't there legislation concerning guns on lodge property introduced at GL this year?
Yes there was, and it was shot down. (pardon the pun.) :D

It was too prohibitive to pass. Not only would it have infringed on our constitutional rights, it would have prevented the display of collections or anything like that.

John Wagner

Very simple answer. Look at the Constitution. Or just stop by my place In Pa. That will answer your question. I collect guns.lol

goomba

The first time I showed up at lodge in uniform the Jr. Deacon told me I couldn't come in with my gun own. The lodge was already tyled. So I told him I wouldn't come back to lodge while I was on duty. The WM asked what was going on and set to let me in as I was. I will say this plainly, if I was not allowed to carry my weapon in the lodge (on or off duty) I would not return to the lodge. To me this issue is that important.

Winter

I've been here before
On Duty, I can see why you wouldn't want to relinquish your weapon. Although wouldn't your Department have an issue with you going to a Lodge meeting when you should be on patrol? Off duty, either secure it in your vehicle or leave it at home. It is an important enough issue that it has a part in our ritual. No offensive or defensive weapon in the Lodge room when open. If your Lodge provides gun lockers outside the Lodge room, fine. But if the GL says don't bring your gun to Lodge, I think that is pretty sad that you wouldn't go to Lodge.

goomba

On duty I have a lunch break. You may think it is sad, so do I. The reasoning in the ritual was explained to me and that I was fine with. There is a difference between a candidate and a brother. However, I do not have any issue with my Brother's having an opinion different than mine. I will tell you why (and what I told members of my lodge). Our lodge is literally right beside the police department in the town I work in. If I walk out of the lodge and come in contact with someone who I have arrested and they wish me harm, I refuse to not be armed. If I knew when and were disaster was going to strike I would not be there.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
After our degrees, do we relinquish our keys, coins, and rings before entering Lodge? How about your Past Master's Jewel?

Just trolling, I guess...

S&F

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
After our degrees, do we relinquish our keys, coins, and rings before entering Lodge? How about your Past Master's Jewel?

Just trolling, I guess...

S&F
Takes the bait like a rabid squirrel.....
One of my Brothers carries all the time, he wears his holster into Lodge, but has not carried in the Lodge since we read over the edict.
But you are correct, I have a pen knife with the S&C and "Masonic Lodge" printed on it.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Many of the lodges in my area have purchased gun safes that are placed the either the Secretaries office or in the anti-room . NO ONE , is allowed to carry weapons (guns) into a Tyled lodge meeting in my jurisdiction .

ETA : If a police officer has just got off duty and comes to lodge , I can live with it . We have cops in my local lodges who show up to lodge in uniform , but they do lock their weapons up in the lodge gun safes .

Winter

I've been here before
Sorry brother, I'll clarify. The "sad" comment was more in reference to a brand new Mason dictating what rules and edicts of the Order are acceptable to him. I did my time in the trenches of law enforcement. I was even in the gang unit in an area that had serious problems. I never carried inside Lodge and I was just fine. I know you will take this post personally even though it is not meant that way, but there is nothing I can do about that. The reason why I take such umbrage to your desire to carry a weapon into the sanctum sanctorum is because it shows a serious disrespect for the purpose of that space that has been set aside for our personal connection to Deity. That is one of the reasons for the Rite of Destitution that has no distinction between a candidate and a full Brother.

goomba

Brother Winter I did not take and offense. Please don't think that. I enjoy reading your post and hearing what you have to say. We just differ in this area. Some things are more important to some than others. The firearm issue is one that is very important to me. I don't expect anyone other than me to feel this way about it. Again please don't think I took what you said as me being upset with you.

Consider this a cyber yet very manly hug.