MM Topic What do you consider Masonic Education to be?

G

Gary

I saw a discussion elsewhere, and this question was posed. What are your thoughts?

Winter

I've been here before
That's easy.

ed·u·ca·tion noun /ˌejəˈkāSHən/ 
educations, plural

1. The process of receiving or giving systematic instruction, esp. at a school, university, or a Masonic lodge

2. The theory and practice of teaching Masonic history, ritual, symbolism and values

3. A body of Masonic knowledge acquired while being educated in a Masonic Lodge by fellow Masons

4. Information about or training in a particular field or subject like Freemasonry

5. A particular stage in the process of being educated, as in EA, FC, or MM in Freemasonry

6. An enlightening experience, for example, Freemasonry

Note: Bold portion are mine added to the standard definition of education

G

Gary

I should have stipulated that everyone could answer except Bro. Winter.... :p

Well... I guess superficially, the answer would appear obvious as you pointed out. We are in total agreement BTW-

But.... (There is always a but isn't there...) The discussion I was reading seemed to get into a debate about it.

Alchemy, Mysticism, and other studies began popping up as other avenues of Masonic Education.

G

Gary

Let me guess....good ole George???
Well, he sort of had a hand in it. Personally, I question his intentions in some of those discussions. But I digress.

The main part of the discussion was between myself & Bro. Martin. He was explaining how the term Masonic Education seemed to have morphed into a code that meant a great many things to different people. We were discussing a totally different topic, but that particular subject came up, and I found it interesting.

That's when I thought it would be interesting to see what others thought about it here.

Winter

I've been here before
I was, of course, being cheeky with my response. ;) I thought it would get a chuckle.

The full range of material that can be studied under the guise of masonic education is likely incalculable.

I'll be quiet now! LOL

CoachN

Builder Builder
I saw a discussion elsewhere, and this question was posed. What are your thoughts?
"Masonic Education" is training that "Builds Better Builders."

This in contrast with "Freemason Education", which trains organizational members to preserve the Code that is the Freemason Organization.

G

Gary

"Masonic Education" is training that "Builds Better Builders."

This in contrast with "Freemason Education", which trains organizational members to preserve the Code that is the Freemason Organization.
The Nagyan Theory... :D

I went on to reply in that thread that The EA/FC degrees taught a great deal of M/E to me. The MM degree showed me that there were many who did not want to do the work to learn the lessons of the first two degrees, and the Nagyan theory kicked in...

I also went on to say that many of these other topics that were presented were merely saying the same things taught in the three degrees, but only in a different way. I saw nothing new in them, and therefore they were irrelevant to Masonic Education in my mind.

FF Sparky

I think Masonic education is a matter of how a brother uses what he learns.

Is he learning to be a good ritualist? Having the knowledge to share

Or is he learning to be a better man? Taking that knowledge and using it for your Work?

Some learn to teach

Some learn to build

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
IMO: It is the path from Point 'A' (darkness) to Point 'B' (light). That path is as varied as the Brothers who travel it, as we each step into Lodge with a unique set of experiences, backgrounds, spirituality, etc.

CoachN

Builder Builder
...Alchemy, Mysticism, and other studies began popping up as other avenues of Masonic Education.
Are these other avenues of Masonic Education or are they more theological and philosophical based Education?

G

Gary

I think Masonic education is a matter of how a brother uses what he learns.

Is he learning to be a good ritualist? Having the knowledge to share

Or is he learning to be a better man? Taking that knowledge and using it for your Work?

Some learn to teach

Some learn to build
Interesting perspective, but wouldn't that be a result of Masonic Education and not the education itself?

IMO: It is the path from Point 'A' (darkness) to Point 'B' (light). That path is as varied as the Brothers who travel it, as we each step into Lodge with a unique set of experiences, backgrounds, spirituality, etc.
True, but aren't there fundamental things that are taught to accomplish this?

G

Gary

Are these other avenues of Masonic Education or are they more theological and philosophical based Education?
I feel they are theological and philosophical based.

From what I get on that forum is the thought that these influenced Masonry.
You get that from one brother in particular, but I don't think it's the general consensus of the forum. His argument is fatally flawed in that he can't substantiate his claims.

CoachN

Builder Builder
From what I get on that forum is the thought that these influenced Masonry.
I believe Masonry influenced them. Please keep in mind Masonry is the art & Science of Building. I contend that Masonry Built them.
I feel they are theological and philosophical based.
Me too!
You get that from one brother in particular, but I don't think it's the general consensus of the forum. His argument is fatally flawed in that he can't substantiate his claims.
What is his claim?

G

Gary

He tries to associate the term LIGHT (capitalization intended) as being an alchemical source that Freemasonry borrowed.

He doesn't really make a point, instead he tries to get others to prove that his theory is wrong. His thought that there were alchemists who were Masons meant that they borrowed certain terms/allegory from alchemy to develop Freemasonry. At least that's what I got out of his thread before my brain turned off. LOL

Duncan1574

Interesting perspective, but wouldn't that be a result of Masonic Education and not the education itself?

True, but aren't there fundamental things that are taught to accomplish this?
The easy answer is that the rituals and lecture show what we need to know, the truth is that our life experience brings us to Masonry as we seek the next step in our development. So the fundamentals are taught elsewhere and brought into Lodge.

G

Gary

The easy answer is that the rituals and lecture show what we need to know, the truth is that our life experience brings us to Masonry as we seek the next step in our development. So the fundamentals are taught elsewhere and brought into Lodge.
Good answer, but I submit that some of the life experience may be lacking for some when they enter the fraternity. The rituals point to these life lessons. Those who are more experienced with them see this as a review. Those who lack certain skill sets are tasked with working toward mastery of them.

Using myself as an example, some of the steps in the FC stairway are a daunting task for me. Unfortunately, I slept through school, so I'm forced to learn the lessons more thoroughly now.

CoachN

Builder Builder
... So the fundamentals are taught elsewhere and brought into Lodge.
If one is lucky enough to recognize all this! My experience is that most are not.
Good answer, but I submit that some of the life experience may be lacking for some when they enter the fraternity. The rituals point to these life lessons. Those who are more experienced with them see this as a review. Those who lack certain skill sets are tasked with working toward mastery of them...
I agree!

Duncan1574

Good answer, but I submit that some of the life experience may be lacking for some when they enter the fraternity. The rituals point to these life lessons. Those who are more experienced with them see this as a review. Those who lack certain skill sets are tasked with working toward mastery of them.

Using myself as an example, some of the steps in the FC stairway are a daunting task for me. Unfortunately, I slept through school, so I'm forced to learn the lessons more thoroughly now.
AHA! Some of us are further down the path than others, Coach's point is well taken, either by design, lack of caring, environmental, social, or familial influences a Brother arrives at the doors of a Lodge, knocks and the door is opened. What is revealed as new and what is uncovered as old is that Brother's unique path through Masonry.

I spent years searching for, even trying to create, what this Brotherhood that I discovered in a chance encounter with one of my now Lodge Brothers, has had available for centuries.