3rd degree mason

sebutler1234

Im getting ready to return my 2nd degree, I was told last night that it is an option to return my 3rd degree, my question is after my 2nd degree return will i be going through the 3rd degree ceremony?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
It is hard to tell . We do not put on the MM degree in my lodges on Stated meeting nights as it is a rather long degree . We will set a called meeting , most of the time on Friday evenings or Saturday mornings . You would have to check with a member (Secretary or Master) of your lodge and see when they will put on the work as we all do things a little different .

As for returning your MM Catechism , I would highly recommend you doing it . Get it out of the way as soon as you can after you are Raised while it is fresh in your mind . I never tell my new Masons that it is "optional" as most will not return it . In Kentucky , you can not sit as a Warden or Master without returning your MM catechism and receiving your proficiency card from the Grand Lodge .

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
It is hard to tell . We do not put on the MM degree in my lodges on Stated meeting nights as it is a rather long degree . We will set a called meeting , most of the time on Friday evenings or Saturday mornings .

As for returning your MM Catechism , I would highly recommend you doing it . Get it out of the way as soon as you can after you are Raised while it is fresh in your mind . I never tell my new Masons that it is "optional" as most will not return it . In Kentucky , you can not sit as a Warden or Master without returning your MM catechism and receiving your proficiency card from the Grand Lodge .
I agree with Ashlar -- return the MM Cathechism as soon as you can
In Nebraska you are unable to hold even an appointed office until you return your MM Catechism.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
It is hard to tell . We do not put on the MM degree in my lodges on Stated meeting nights as it is a rather long degree . We will set a called meeting , most of the time on Friday evenings or Saturday mornings . You would have to check with a member (Secretary or Master) of your lodge and see when they will put on the work as we all do things a little different .

Ohio you have 90 days to return it. Now I'm not sure if that is steadfast law though.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
You must report to the Sec. who files an extension for you. I truly haven't seen anyone take longer than that or having had need to address it.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
What happens if you do not return it in 90 days ?
If no extension is given by the WM, you get the boot (EA degree). I've only seen this happen when a man enters the Lodge and doesn't put forth an effort to learn the catechism. Once they get past the EA, generally they move right along. If you need more time, the Lodge will work with you.

The MM catechism isn't that hard if you've made it that far, and to not give it back to the Lodge is disrespectful IMHO.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
If no extension is given by the WM, you get the boot (EA degree). I've only seen this happen when a man enters the Lodge and doesn't put forth an effort to learn the catechism. Once they get past the EA, generally they move right along. If you need more time, the Lodge will work with you.

The MM catechism isn't that hard if you've made it that far, and to not give it back to the Lodge is disrespectful IMHO.

I agree that is disrespectful and I will add downright lazy . I figured the EA and FC degrees had time limits in some jurisdictions , what I was asking was for a Master Mason , since that was the where the discussion was going .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I'm not sure if we have a time limit here or not. I want to say that it's 90 days for each degree. It's just not as strictly enforced for MM, but there is plenty of peer pressure for it's completion in a timely manner.

I'll have to snoop around in the Masonic Digest to se what I can find. Bro. Zack may know the answer for our jurisdiction.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I just took it for granted that Buckeye was talking about the MM catechism . I was surprised that they had a time limit on it for them , so I was wondering what would happen to a Master Mason after 90 days .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I'm not sure if we have a time limit here or not. I want to say that it's 90 days for each degree. It's just not as strictly enforced for MM, but there is plenty of peer pressure for it's completion in a timely manner.

I'll have to snoop around in the Masonic Digest to se what I can find. Bro. Zack may know the answer for our jurisdiction.

You have 6 months in Florida to give back EA and FC. If you do not give back MM you have to wait a year before joining any other bodies. I think there is something about having to give back to go through the line too, but its too early to remember that. Look around 37.xx

It was on one of the MM Exams

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
You have 6 months in Florida to give back EA and FC. If you do not give back MM you have to wait a year before joining any other bodies. I think there is something about having to give back to go through the line too, but its too early to remember that. Look around 37.xx

It was on one of the MM Exams
Yeah, That's what I thought. I knew about having to wait to join the other bodies if you didn't complete it. I took those MM exams last year, but I couldn't remember all of the details for this question.

6 months is roughly 90 days for each degree for the EA/FC. It seems funny to me that there wouldn't be a regulation for a time constraint on the MM.

I'll have to look at the Digest when I get home tonight.

Hiram's Scouter

Ashlar2006, I see you are from Kentucky and I remember you talking about Rush Lodge, do you belong to one of the lodges in Ashland? I would like to do some visiting with some more of the Kentucky Lodges and watch you work, I am going to vistit Rush for their next MM degree. I belong to Lawrence 198, we have many Kentucky brothers visit, dont know if I have meet you their or not.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Grand Lodge of Ohio Codes and By-laws:
Chapter 27
Conferring of Degrees
Sec. 27.02 Advancement and Examination of Candidates
(c) The Master shall require each Master Mason within two months after his obligation to take and pass the examination in open Lodge as to his proficiency in the M.M. Degree unless, for sufficient reason to be stated on the record, an extension or extensions of time given by the Master. Immediately following the examination the Lodge by majority voice vote shall determine whether the examination is or is not satisfactory.
(d) A Master Mason who neglects or refuses to comply with the requirement is hereby declared to be suspended but may reinstate himself by aquiring and passing such examination.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Grand Lodge of Ohio Codes and By-laws:
Chapter 27
Conferring of Degrees
Sec. 27.02 Advancement and Examination of Candidates
(c) The Master shall require each Master Mason within two months after his obligation to take and pass the examination in open Lodge as to his proficiency in the M.M. Degree unless, for sufficient reason to be stated on the record, an extension or extensions of time given by the Master. Immediately following the examination the Lodge by majority voice vote shall determine whether the examination is or is not satisfactory.
(d) A Master Mason who neglects or refuses to comply with the requirement is hereby declared to be suspended but may reinstate himself by aquiring and passing such examination.
Call me a purist, but I agree with this completely.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Call me a purist, but I agree with this completely.
I'm pretty fond of it. Now ODCers get a pass from this. As will the August 2012 class, who will have a mass Raising in D.C.

I managed to return my examinations at the following stated meetins. 2-3 Weeks after the Obligations.:4-bounce::3-rockon::4-transform:

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I'm pretty fond of it. Now ODCers get a pass from this. As will the August 2012 class, who will have a mass Raising in D.C.

I managed to return my examinations at the following stated meetins. 2-3 Weeks after the Obligations.:4-bounce::3-rockon::4-transform:
Same here. My catechism instructor would have inserted his boot up my jaxie if I didn't. :1-wink-grin:

Oh yea.. well I returned mine the same night as my degree.... went out into the parking lot an memorized it while on a break..................:1-say-no::1-say-no:

No what...that was S. Brent Morris 33°..........my bad!!!:1-say-yes:

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Oh yea.. well I returned mine the same night as my degree.... went out into the parking lot an memorized it while on a break..................:1-say-no::1-say-no:

No what...that was S. Brent Morris 33°..........my bad!!!:1-say-yes:
Yup. I was going to say you stole that from Bro. Morris... LOL