3rd degree mason

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Grand Lodge of Ohio Codes and By-laws:
Chapter 27
Conferring of Degrees
Sec. 27.02 Advancement and Examination of Candidates
(c) The Master shall require each Master Mason within two months after his obligation to take and pass the examination in open Lodge as to his proficiency in the M.M. Degree unless, for sufficient reason to be stated on the record, an extension or extensions of time given by the Master. Immediately following the examination the Lodge by majority voice vote shall determine whether the examination is or is not satisfactory.
(d) A Master Mason who neglects or refuses to comply with the requirement is hereby declared to be suspended but may reinstate himself by aquiring and passing such examination.
Hmmm... Do you go dark? I had to wait to give back my FC because we went dark for 3 months back then. Gave the group behind us to catch up, and then we split up again upon who knew it better. A few took a little longer.

It stunk because we got the MM right before the Holiday season at UPS. No time off after Thanksgiving.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Hmmm... Do you go dark? I had to wait to give back my FC because we went dark for 3 months back then. Gave the group behind us to catch up, and then we split up again upon who knew it better. A few took a little longer.

It stunk because we got the MM right before the Holiday season at UPS. No time off after Thanksgiving.
We do go dark and that gives an automatic extension. I actually just let the Officers know that we've been telling everyone 90 days when it's 60.

Had fun cooking at breakfast at the Lodge and raising money for god causes.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Grand Lodge of Ohio Codes and By-laws:
Chapter 27
Conferring of Degrees
Sec. 27.02 Advancement and Examination of Candidates
(c) The Master shall require each Master Mason within two months after his obligation to take and pass the examination in open Lodge as to his proficiency in the M.M. Degree unless, for sufficient reason to be stated on the record, an extension or extensions of time given by the Master. Immediately following the examination the Lodge by majority voice vote shall determine whether the examination is or is not satisfactory.
(d) A Master Mason who neglects or refuses to comply with the requirement is hereby declared to be suspended but may reinstate himself by aquiring and passing such examination.
Outstanding , this was what I was looking for . My coach did not give me a chance to say yeah or nay regardless , he just showed up at my house two days after I was Raised to start practicing .

I like this rule .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Ashlar2006, I see you are from Kentucky and I remember you talking about Rush Lodge, do you belong to one of the lodges in Ashland? I would like to do some visiting with some more of the Kentucky Lodges and watch you work, I am going to vistit Rush for their next MM degree. I belong to Lawrence 198, we have many Kentucky brothers visit, dont know if I have meet you their or not.
Sent you a PM . I was over in your neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago , a visit to Frogtown to hear a friends band . Best food in Ironton !

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
[snip]
Hmm, you work for UPS? Can you look for a package?... :D

[snip] Look around 37.xx

It was on one of the MM Exams
You wanna explain "37.xx"? I have no idea what you are referring to.

[snip]
Ummm, how can anyone have Masonic Conversation with one suspended...?
I would think teaching the catechism would constitute conversing upon the secrets of Masonry.

S&F

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Hmm, you work for UPS? Can you look for a package?... :D
Ha, you want to talk about security. They do not mess around when it comes to missing/open packages. One of the reasons they go through Holiday help. Mostly it is young adults who think they can score pills/packages. Those people do not play around, nor have much of a sense of humor. That also includes things when it comes to uniforms/badges.

Ummm, how can anyone have Masonic Conversation with one suspended...?
I would think teaching the catechism would constitute conversing upon the secrets of Masonry.
S&F
Ya know Brother B..... I was thinking the same thing. How would one teach the catechism to someone suspended.....it is a violation of my OB to have masonic discussions/conversations with a suspended mason.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
We typically go over the exam book with the candidate. Also having learned the other two they are pretty adept at deciphering it.

That being said I asked. The response was "If he contacted his mentor or the Lodge and let us know the information would then given to the WM and the process of extension would be applied."

jaya

In NC we have 6 months between degrees or you need to ask for an extension. If for some reason you take the EA and/or FC degree and decide not to return to the lodge, you can come back even years later and continue on with a full vote of the lodge. I have yet to see someone not get an extension that asked for it however. The MM cat is completely optional here. It is required if you are wanting to go through the chairs. Interesting thing is right now I am coaching a brother on the 3rd degree that was raised 57 years ago. He had not been very active in lodge while he was in the military. He is doing a great job and will return it in about a week at our next stated. I would encourage anyone that is in a jurisdiction that is optional on the 3rd cat to do it as soon after the degree as they can while it is still fresh to them. You might never know when or how you might need it in the future. It is much easier to learn it now than 57 years later.

Just curious..... to those in a jurisdiction that require the MM to be returned...... What do you do if a MM transfers their membership to your Lodge?

jaya

Both. And what if a brother from outside moved in but had a third degree proficiency card proving he returned it?

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Within the jurisdiction of OH, newly obligated MM do not recieve their dues card, apron, or Bible until after the cat. is returned. If a member wanted to change Lodges within the district he would have to have completed it or the GL wouldn't let it happen. Also, if your jurisdiction didn't require it and you're a lawful, card carrying member then welcome.

So...... if you are transferring from a GL that has no "proficiency" card to the GL of OH then you have nothing to prove before getting your card?

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
Just curious..... to those in a jurisdiction that require the MM to be returned...... What do you do if a MM transfers their membership to your Lodge?

Upon recieving a petition for dual membership or tranferring membership from another jurisdiction, the Grand Lodge office will contact said jurisdiction and will receive from them information including date of Initiation, date of Passing, date of Raising, a date of Proficiency as well as a certificate of good standing which will be forwarded to the lodge the brother has petitioned. I personally have not had a dual member or tranfer of membership which did not include a date of proficiency, so I am unable to say whether Nebraska would require the proficiency to be returned in these cases.

Upon recieving a petition for dual membership or tranferring membership from another jurisdiction, the Grand Lodge office will contact said jurisdiction and will receive from them information including date of Initiation, date of Passing, date of Raising, a date of Proficiency as well as a certificate of good standing which will be forwarded to the lodge the brother has petitioned. I personally have not had a dual member or tranfer of membership which did not include a date of proficiency, so I am unable to say whether Nebraska would require the proficiency to be returned in these cases.
Here, we have no such thing as "date of proficiency"..... once raised, you are a MM and entitled full rights just like any other MM....there is no proficiency card from the GL nor any specific requirements from the GL to move through the chairs.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I guess that is why we should know the bylaws & constitution of our jurisdictions. Or at least have a copy to refer to.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
If your jurisdiction does not require the MM proficiency to be returned in order to receive the dues card, then the way I read my jurisdiction's bylaws, we would be able to accept said petition without that man having to get a proficiency card.
A subordinate lodge in Nebraska is not supposed to communicate with a lodge from another jurisdiction with regards to any petitions for dual memberships or transferring memberships. We can communicate with outside lodges for the purpose of awarding 50, 60 or 70 year membership certificates to our members who may reside in another jurisdiction. Or for doing Masonic services.