3rd degree mason

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
If your jurisdiction does not require the MM proficiency to be returned in order to receive the dues card, then the way I read my jurisdiction's bylaws, we would be able to accept said petition without that man having to get a proficiency card.
A subordinate lodge in Nebraska is not supposed to communicate with a lodge from another jurisdiction with regards to any petitions for dual memberships or transferring memberships. We can communicate with outside lodges for the purpose of awarding 50, 60 or 70 year membership certificates to our members who may reside in another jurisdiction. Or for doing Masonic services.
That's what I was going to say. The first GL would forward all info to my GL showing he is a full member. Now and OH boy wouldn't be able to go out to even visit without a Brother to vouche for him until his exam. Seeing as he has no dues card. They could use Ohio's test oath... in Ohio.

If your jurisdiction does not require the MM proficiency to be returned in order to receive the dues card, then the way I read my jurisdiction's bylaws, we would be able to accept said petition without that man having to get a proficiency card.
A subordinate lodge in Nebraska is not supposed to communicate with a lodge from another jurisdiction with regards to any petitions for dual memberships or transferring memberships. We can communicate with outside lodges for the purpose of awarding 50, 60 or 70 year membership certificates to our members who may reside in another jurisdiction. Or for doing Masonic services.
This is the same here as well.... I will venture a semi-humble guess that this is the standard across the board.

thebrianmo

Returning the MM in Ohio is NOT optional. You are not permitted to vote in Lodge, nor to receive your dues card until you have done so.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Progressing through the degrees

So, how do the various jurisdictions qualify a brother to progress to the next degree? [I realize this would not apply to One Day Classes]
Here is NC (AF&AM), we have a catechism (a set order of questions and answers to be memorized, or at least, the answers by the candidate) that must be 'returned' in open lodge. Interestingly, The Code specifies the catechism may not be returned "in the anteroom.'

34 years ago in Indiana (F&AM), the catechism was 98% similar, but I do not recall ever repeating it in lodge. I think Jack, my mentor, informed the WM when I was proficient. Several weeks after my MM Degree, Masons at lodge commented that I had not begun to work on that catechism, and I felt shamed into getting it done!

In 2010 I attended a FC Degree in Wisconsin and observed one of the three candidates demonstrate his proficiency. Part of it was the Ob, but the rest seemed much more free-form, and there was an essay written by the candidate about what the experience meant to him.

So, how does your jurisdiction do it?
I am especially interested in how non-US Masons are progressed!
Please state clearly what jurisdiction you are describing.

S&F

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
In the GL Wisconsin, the reciever of a degree is given a cyphered catacism booklet, that contains the tools of that degree, the OB, and a series of questions that are related to the ritual of that degree.

jaya

They get a cipher? Here in NC it is all mouth to ear and the cipher is not even allowed to be used in coaching.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
They get a cipher? Here in NC it is all mouth to ear and the cipher is not even allowed to be used in coaching.
Yes, Jaya, here in Wisconsin there is a cipher. The stuff that a candidate receives is a special booklet (one per degree) that contains the stuff he will need to return to the Lodge for posting. Most of it is NOT ciphered, but there is a section that is. The Wisconsin Program posting was put together so that a Mason would be able to 'talk about the fraternity' to others in an accurate manner. It is not at all what the old-fashioned posting lecture was like (I miss the old-fashioned posting).

jaya

Interesting. We have a cipher but like I said, it is not allowed to be used for coaching. There are actually 2 books. The first is a small one called the Bahson manual and contains the non secret parts of the work. It is written out in English. The other book is the Official Standard of Work (OSW) and is our cipher. Using the cipher in coaching can lend someone in big trouble.

I like the mouth to ear because it helps develop relationships. It also leads to good discussions sometimes between the coach and candidate. That can be a great thing.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
We noticed that when we went to Maryland and Virginia. We have a cipher exam book for the candidates that changes for each degree. The whole thing is coded. Is it a F&AM thing to have one?

We noticed that when we went to Maryland and Virginia. We have a cipher exam book for the candidates that changes for each degree. The whole thing is coded. Is it a F&AM thing to have one?
No... many F&AM do thing different than OH.... we do it different in IN, WV is a mouth to ear...KY...they do things pretty unique too...F&AM really has nothing to do with it....

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Welp, there goes that theory.... oh no not theories again. Anyways. And I've heard such. I want to visit quite a few jurisdictions.

jaya

We have a vocabulary that helps decode the cipher. There is one per lodge and each DDGL is issued one.

FF Sparky

We have something like 95 lodges in Connecticut with 105 different ways to do ritual...lol. Connecticut gives a ciphered book of the catechism. At least my lodge does.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
We have something like 95 lodges in Connecticut with 105 different ways to do ritual...lol. Connecticut gives a ciphered book of the catechism. At least my lodge does.
The only option for posting in GLofWI is the candidate posting their OB in Lodge, the rest is required.

As for different ways to do ritual and as I have visited several GLofWI Lodges over this past year, there are variances, sometimes by Lodge tradition, sometimes by Brothers being human (@ my Raising my OB had a repeated, duplicated, furthermore. (I am thinking his wife thinks I'm cute)).

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
The only option for posting in GLofWI is the candidate posting their OB in Lodge, the rest is required.

As for different ways to do ritual and as I have visited several GLofWI Lodges over this past year, there are variances, sometimes by Lodge tradition, sometimes by Brothers being human (@ my Raising my OB had a repeated, duplicated, furthermore. (I am thinking his wife thinks I'm cute)).
Bwahahahahaha!!!!!