Can we get Masonry growing again?

cemab4y

Nearly all Grand Lodges are experiencing a decline in membership. I used to work for the US Census bureau in statistical analysis and data collection.

What do you think about this trend? Should USA Masons do anything to reverse it? IS there anything we can do to get Masonry growing again?

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
There are 'discussions' that would indicate that this is the global warming of FM, a decline before a resurgence, and other 'discussions' that state that the
Craft needs a face lift, & yet other 'discussions' .....

My point of view is that we need to make Blue Lodge attendance mandatory for appendant body members,

OR maybe its time for the appendant bodies to close their doors and bring Brothers back to the Blue Lodges, when there were 100s of thousands Brothers, there was a need for them, if nothing else to give a Brother a place to feel apart. This is not to disparage the work/charity done in those groups, just that there are not enough bodies for all the bodies.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Nearly all Grand Lodges are experiencing a decline in membership. I used to work for the US Census bureau in statistical analysis and data collection.

(1)What do you think about this trend? (2)Should USA Masons do anything to reverse it? (3)IS there anything we can do to get Masonry growing again?
1) This is not a bad thing.
2) Masons should encourage it.
3) Yup. First off, STOP CONFUSING "FREEMASONRY" WITH "MASONRY." They are not the same thing and they never will be. Secondly, Adopt a stern philosophy of attraction and drop all promotional efforts. This would force the remaining "Masons" to put into practice what "Freemasonry" espouses so that there will be far less "Freemasons" and far more "Masons."

Your ball Brother. Jog with it well.

FF Sparky

from what I see Connecticut is raising on average 50 Masons a month, to about 10-15 deaths of older members. it may be a slow increase, but its still an increase. we have about 8 petitions on the board now for the spring. All EMRs. with 3 more months to go before next degree

FF Sparky

Want more interest in Masonry? Start going through your friends, see who you would think is worthy and well qualified. We just recently raised 2 of my friends(I've been a Mason for 9 months) if they each bring in 2 members, and those bring in 2 members. I think this is how it should be, not through advertising and EMRs(except me, I was an EMR...:p ). This way here we are getting petitions of people we know too.

What do you think about this trend? Should USA Masons do anything to reverse it? IS there anything we can do to get Masonry growing again?

Its simple:

QUALITY over QUANTITY..........

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...

From the statistics I have seen (and we all know how accurate statistics are), Masonry is growing in the USA, albeit slowly. There is, right now, an estimated one and one half million of us in the USA and another three to four million worldwide.

duncan1574 said:
My point of view is that we need to make Blue Lodge attendance mandatory for appendant body members
Strangely, the Masons who are active in York Rite in my town are, for the most part, active in Blue Lodge as well. The one notable exception works at his church on Lodge night. Shall we throw him out for his commitment to service? Who will make the determination if someone's reasons are 'good enough'?

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
My problem with mandatory attendance is you take away the " Of my own freewill and accord" aspect.......
Consider this... If you join a fraternity you are expected to participate. You are not to use it as a stepping stone to get where you'd rather be (appendant body) and never show your face in the Blue Lodge again. Not saying that you are guilty of this, I'm saying many many other brethren are.

IMO, There are those who don't bother to do the Work of the first three degrees. Most especially the work of the EA. This causes them to spread themselves WAY too thin. They lack time management skills, and as Builders they lack the ability to see that their foundation is weak or in some cases, non-existent. They are unable to circumscribe their desires and keep their passions within due bounds because of this. This becomes a scenario of "joiners" for the sake of belonging not Masonic education.

Consider this... If you join a fraternity you are expected to participate. You are not to use it as a stepping stone to get where you'd rather be (appendant body) and never show your face in the Blue Lodge again. Not saying that you are guilty of this, I'm saying many many other brethren are.

IMO, There are those who don't bother to do the Work of the first three degrees. Most especially the work of the EA. This causes them to spread themselves WAY too thin. They lack time management skills, and as Builders they lack the ability to see that their foundation is weak or in some cases, non-existent. They are unable to circumscribe their desires and keep their passions within due bounds because of this. This becomes a scenario of "joiners" for the sake of belonging not Masonic education.
I agree with ya.... but there is a big difference in "expected" and "mandatory"

mandatory takes away freewill......

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member

What are the penalties for not meeting the expectations of the Lodge? Currently, there are none. That is why many blow off the Blue Lodge in favor of doing something else with their time.

Mandatory participation can be set up to have an acceptable number of excused absences. Not necessarily that you have to attend every meeting or else...Just sayin'...

Before anyone goes off on me, I belong to an appendant body. I put my Lodge first.

What are the penalties for not meeting the expectations of the Lodge? Currently, there are none. That is why many blow off the Blue Lodge in favor of doing something else with their time.

Mandatory participation can be set up to have an acceptable number of excused absences. Not necessarily that you have to attend every meeting or else...Just sayin'...

Before anyone goes off on me, I belong to an appendant body. I put my Lodge first.
Again... I agree and I am a member of appendant bodies as well...

If you had "mandatory" attendance all you would get is a bunch of b!tching and wining .... I would rather have those who attend voluntarily ( own freewill and accord) in attendance. It is one of the requirement of a candidate .... no need to change it for the members....

CoachN

Builder Builder

Stop! You have me at "Consider thie..."

If you "freely" take an Obligation and don't follow through, you're exercising your freewill to not take your Word seriously! as will all others that think it through.
What are the penalties for not meeting the expectations of the Lodge? Currently, there are none. ....
Oh, but there are penalties and every one of them is experienced by both the Brother who doesn't do the Work and the Lodge that hosts him. They just don't recognize that all the havoc they experience is a result of Brothers not doing the Work. They think that it's just "life" happening.
Again... I agree and I am a member of appendant bodies as well...
Well, I'm not. Too much BL Work to do.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Stop! You have me at "Consider this..."
LOL!

If you "freely" take an Obligation and don't follow through, you're exercising your freewill to not take your Word seriously! as will all others that think it through.
Agreed.

Oh, but there are penalties and every one of them is experienced by both the Brother who doesn't do the Work and the Lodge that hosts him. They just don't recognize that all the havoc they experience is a result of Brothers not doing the Work. They think that it's just "life" happening.
True. I stand corrected. Maybe I should have phrased my response better. The Brothers don't see what the penalties are...

Well, I'm not. Too much BL Work to do.
Well, I'll agree that there is much Work to be done in the BL. Personally, I joined an appendant body to supplement the Work I do in the BL. It was purely for research, and development on my part. I'm pretty sure that I joined for the right reasons. I enjoy the additional allegory, and the hecatombs that are presented to me. That's no bull... or is it? :1-wink-grin:

mandatory attendance at lodge............... must have skipped that section in my OB...:confused:

again I will say quality over quantity is what I would prefer at Lodge.... but that is just me.

And I joined the appendant bodies to get a snazzy hat and or a jacket..... but have not received either.....:1-wink-grin:

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
mandatory attendance at lodge............... must have skipped that section in my OB...:confused:
Yup... You may want to read the fine print... :1-wink-grin:

again I will say quality over quantity is what I would prefer at Lodge.... but that is just me.
Agreed.

And I joined the appendant bodies to get a snazzy hat and or a jacket..... but have not received either.....:1-wink-grin:
You joined in the wrong jurisdiction then.... j/k :4-poke1: LOL

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I do remember something in the lectures saying while your attendance is not mandatory, it is however greatly appreciated.......
You have to look a little deeper than the surface of what was said in the lecture. You obligated yourself to the fraternity. That implies active participation, among other things. The crux of this conversation was attendance. You can't receive Light in Masonry if you don't actively seek it. The Lodge provides it to all who attend.

As Bro. Coach pointed out, you demonstrate the integrity of your word by not taking those obligations lightly.