Can we get Masonry growing again?

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
To answer #4 in your post;

IMHO, we need to adhere to our standards and increase Masonic Education and mentoring of candidates. You can't have a solid foundation without this. Build a structure on a weak foundation, and it will crumble under it's own weight.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
As one of the lodge ambassadors, I've been calling some of our "rusty brothers" to let them know we miss them and try to find out why they are not coming. The highest number of responses is that they can't come because they have had to take on additional work to make ends meet. The second most common answer I got was illness either in the brother or a close family member he needs to take care of. Next was embarrassment at not remembering the words, grips, signs and tokens. There were a couple who are fighting in Afghanistan. Not one said an appendent body was taking up all their time.

Granted, 20 phone calls is not a big sample.

The brothers who have forgotten the signs, grips, etc. are the easiest to deal with. The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts has a new program called "Master Builder" that is specifically for the rusty brother. The program reintroduces all the required knowledge and give the man a set of goals to accomplish for which he gets a pin, certificate and dinner with the Grand Master.

Illness is handled by offering the lodge's and my personal assistance. I make sure the men fighting in Afghanistan are remembered in our prayers. If the man is working two jobs or his work takes him far from the lodge, there's not a lot to be done except thank him for his continued support of the lodge.

My lodge, district and jurisdiction is growing. We don't do one-day classes any more other than some very special circumstances, like military deployments. We do reach out to the community but good men must still join of their own free will and accord.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
In regards to asking people in my jurisdiction I can tell someone that "if you ever became interested I would sign your petition"

CoachN

Builder Builder
I cannot justify calling any member who, upon raising and continuous attendance, found typical meetings killing any further desire to participate in what the organization had to offer, and asking him to subject himself to further disinteresting activities.

The organization alluded to making them better men. If this was not a misleading allusion, what exactly is its plan to do so?

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
As one of the lodge ambassadors, I've been calling some of our "rusty brothers" to let them know we miss them and try to find out why they are not coming. The highest number of responses is that they can't come because they have had to take on additional work to make ends meet. The second most common answer I got was illness either in the brother or a close family member he needs to take care of. Next was embarrassment at not remembering the words, grips, signs and tokens. There were a couple who are fighting in Afghanistan. Not one said an appendent body was taking up all their time.

Granted, 20 phone calls is not a big sample.

The brothers who have forgotten the signs, grips, etc. are the easiest to deal with. The Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts has a new program called "Master Builder" that is specifically for the rusty brother. The program reintroduces all the required knowledge and give the man a set of goals to accomplish for which he gets a pin, certificate and dinner with the Grand Master.

Illness is handled by offering the lodge's and my personal assistance. I make sure the men fighting in Afghanistan are remembered in our prayers. If the man is working two jobs or his work takes him far from the lodge, there's not a lot to be done except thank him for his continued support of the lodge.

My lodge, district and jurisdiction is growing. We don't do one-day classes any more other than some very special circumstances, like military deployments. We do reach out to the community but good men must still join of their own free will and accord.
In Wisconsin we have the "Traveler's degree" aka the "Rusty Nail".

FF Sparky

Now there is mention here about getting more members, there are answer on we need quality over quantity. What I see is empty Lodges, I been to a couple now and brothers are being initiated with 3 to 5 members on the sidelines. there are alot of empty seats. would be nice to have regular full houses. Especially on degrees.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
True, but I think a fuller house would be nicer, more inspiring for newly initiated Brothers, and other things.
You mean like a packed house at a theater? I don't think it's wise to judge by appearances. Ask Master Yoda...

FF Sparky

Not saying packed, but more than 3 to 5 on the side.

I went to an EA degree last night, it was 2 lodges combining to initiate 4 members. out of 2 Lodges other than officers and me(visiting) there was 3 other members......out of TWO Lodges

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Not saying packed, but more than 3 to 5 on the side.

I went to an EA degree last night, it was 2 lodges combining to initiate 4 members. out of 2 Lodges other than officers and me(visiting) there was 3 other members......out of TWO Lodges
Well that's a whole different story! Wow...

It's curious that for an EA or FC degree there generally is also a fairly sparse turn out in my district. Albeit not as small as you described. Now, for a MM degree, they come out of the wood work!

To me, It would seem appropriate to have the same turn out as the MM at every degree. Especially an EA degree.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Well that's a whole different story! Wow...

It's curious that for an EA or FC degree there generally is also a fairly sparse turn out in my district. Albeit not as small as you described. Now, for a MM degree, they come out of the wood work!

To me, It would seem appropriate to have the same turn out as the MM at every degree. Especially an EA degree.
I have been screaming this for years brothers .