Can we get Masonry growing again?

You have to look a little deeper than the surface of what was said in the lecture. You obligated yourself to the fraternity. That implies active participation, among other things. The crux of this conversation was attendance. You can't receive Light in Masonry if you don't actively seek it. The Lodge provides it to all who attend.

As Bro. Coach pointed out, you demonstrate the integrity of your word by not taking those obligations lightly.
BUT..."MANDATORY" attendance requirements would do no good to gain further light.... it would bring out the old curmudgeons that just want to cause trouble.....those that are required to be there would only darken the light those that freely and gladly attend seek.......... That is the crux against mandatory attendance requirements.....I say if they dont want to be there.....good on them, we that freely attend can use their dues money as we see fit, that is perfect time to establish new ideas and such...like masonic education.....

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
BUT..."MANDATORY" attendance requirements would do no good to gain further light.... it would bring out the old curmudgeons that just want to cause trouble.....those that are required to be there would only darken the light those that freely and gladly attend seek.......... That is the crux against mandatory attendance requirements.....I say if they dont want to be there.....good on them, we that freely attend can use their dues money as we see fit, that is perfect time to establish new ideas and such...like masonic education.....
Sure it would. By it's very nature, it would cause quality to reign over quantity. Those old curmudgeons wouldn't stick around long because they don't want to be there to begin with.

Sure it would. By it's very nature, it would cause quality to reign over quantity. Those old curmudgeons wouldn't stick around long because they don't want to be there to begin with.
What do ya do with the curmudgeons then.... kickem out??

And how do ya think the quality will reign?? Have you ever been forced to attend a class you really didnt want to be at??? I have and I know not much light/knowledge was gained..... only those seeking the light will find it.... you can lead a horse to the water but not make them drink.... same with freemasons.....

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
What do ya do with the curmudgeons then.... kickem out??
Nope. Do what I did in my Lodge. Encourage their participation. Establish a solid Masonic education program. That and the WM has to enforce harmony within his Lodge.

The brothers who are there for trouble making will only call attention to themselves and will either go with the flow or migrate elsewhere. In short tell them to SHADAPPPPP!!!!! :1-wink-grin:

Nope. Do what I did in my Lodge. Encourage their participation. Establish a solid Masonic education program. That and the WM has to enforce harmony within his Lodge.

The brothers who are there for trouble making will only call attention to themselves and will either go with the flow or migrate elsewhere. In short tell them to SHADAPPPPP!!!!! :1-wink-grin:
I do see your point but I will say if I had a lodge with 100 members and only 12 or so wanted to be there, I would rather have them there seeking knowledge than the rest of the gang being there and not wanting to be there..... without the curmudgeons being there, you just may be able to accomplish more without them than you can with..... it is the perfect time and opportunity to do some things "daring" that you would never get past the fuddy duds.......

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
In my case, I was able to get the fuddy duds to participate. Again, this boils down to a Lodge having a WM who will lead. There was some grumbling in my Lodge too. That changed after a while.

In my case, I was able to get the fuddy duds to participate. Again, this boils down to a Lodge having a WM who will lead. There was some grumbling in my Lodge too. That changed after a while.

The kicker here is...... it was not mandatory...... I firmly believe you will do much better in a voluntary system then you will in a mandatory system....

Sometimes the fuddy duds really are interested but just need their pilot light re-ignited for their lights to shine again....

jaya

I do not think that there is a huge issue with freemasonry. Look at the huge decline between 1929 and 1940 as well. The numbers were dropping then and then we had a huge increase between 1940 and and 1960. Society changed and people quit joining things during the 60s and 70s, We lost an entire generation. Now we are seeing younger men become interested again trying to connect with history of their grandfathers. There is a slow increase. You will start to see more GL's have increase in memberships over the next few years.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Isn't Masonry growing? By the fact that we're having this conversation, in a place that people who search "the decline of masonry" would find. Bringing light to the situation and having enough "young" men and minds that can argue for and against it's growth on a modern means a communication means we are growing. Freemasonry is increasing it's Light of the World. Heck Kentucky just got a lot more "recognized" Masons this year lol.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
The kicker here is...... it was not mandatory...... I firmly believe you will do much better in a voluntary system then you will in a mandatory system....

Sometimes the fuddy duds really are interested but just need their pilot light re-ignited for their lights to shine again....
No, It wasn't mandatory. I think we are arguing a moot point here. The whole issue is that if it were mandatory for attendance on a regular basis in the BL, you'd see a definite change in Freemasonry. It would be more of an enforcement of guarding the Western Gate. If the Brethren won't guard the gate before the ruffians enter in the first place, it needs to be protected after the fact.

To be clear, I don't see a mandatory edict ever happening. I agree with you on several points, I was just offering a debate to bring to Light the real issues at hand.

No, It wasn't mandatory. I think we are arguing a moot point here. The whole issue is that if it were mandatory for attendance on a regular basis in the BL, you'd see a definite change in Freemasonry. It would be more of an enforcement of guarding the Western Gate. If the Brethren won't guard the gate before the ruffians enter in the first place, it needs to be protected after the fact.

To be clear, I don't see a mandatory edict ever happening. I agree with you on several points, I was just offering a debate to bring to Light the real issues at hand.
HEY bucko!!!!...... I am the one that is supposed to offer a differing opinion....

I was hoping for some back up, but as usual I was left to my own devices...LOL
Fireman keeps me on my toes. It's like a chess game.
You dont need any back up........ it is easy to stand when you have many supports..... but standing alone and not bending..... that is the test.....

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
You dont need any back up........ it is easy to stand when you have many supports..... but standing alone and not bending..... that is the test.....
True, I think I weathered the test well. But it shouldn't have been me to do that. Bro. Russ started the debate. I just decided to play devil's advocate. Oh, Bro. Russ???? Your turn in the ring with Fireman...LOL

Seriously though, Regardless of whether attendance is mandatory or not we will still wind up with the same numbers in Lodge. Those that want to be there will show up. Those that don't regardless of a rule, will find a way to either avoid it or go somewhere else. A leopard doesn't change his spots.

Eliminating the appendant bodies will do more harm than good for those who are involved in them for the sake of Masonic Light, and not social reasons. Until the BL steps up to offer what they do, they are needed. Masonry is evolving. Freemasonry in general is slow to respond to that.

True, I think I weathered the test well. But it shouldn't have been me to do that. Bro. Russ started the debate. I just decided to play devil's advocate. Oh, Bro. Russ???? Your turn in the ring with Fireman...LOL
And i couldnt just leave ya hanging and let the cricket start chirping could I:1-say-no:
Bro Russ..... will it be broad swords or rhetoric???

Seriously though, Regardless of whether attendance is mandatory or not we will still wind up with the same numbers in Lodge. Those that want to be there will show up. Those that don't regardless of a rule, will find a way to either avoid it or go somewhere else. A leopard doesn't change his spots.
You are correct on this.... and dont get the big head... just because I agree with ya doesnt mean I am gonna let ya off easy all the time....:1-shy: