Chewing the inside of my jowells off to avoid argument

Brothers,
I work with a severe crack-pot at work. He has accused Masonry of so much (his latest is the we're trying to genetically create fully functioning hermaphrodites) and tries to goad me into argument because he we are charged not to go into arugment with the dull and ignorant. However, I am chewing the inside of my jowells off to avoid saying something other than "It's not true". I have been keeping it together (hooray for me :)) but it is getting more difficult each day. Fortunately I only have to deal with that person for two hours a day (we work different shifts). So I am here venting my frustration here! Thank you brethern for allowing me to let off some steam. I feel better now.

G

Gary

People like that have no life. Arguing is their only reason for existence it seems. This guy "knows" you aren't supposed to argue?

Don't argue, just make him look like an idiot. Ask him to produce tangible proof of his accusations, or shut up. It's considered harassment in the work place. Which is against the law. Something to the effect of creating a hostile work environment....

Yeah when I said, "what you're saying is untrue", he fired back with telling me that he knew that I was not allowed to argue about it. When I tried to point out thast I was not arguing but answering an accusation with a simple "not true", he then pointed out that I am now "arguing" by answering to that. One other guy I work with said to me, "Don't pay attetion to that fool. He can't even figure out which end of a hammer you're supposed to use!"

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Brothers,
I work with a severe crack-pot at work. He has accused Masonry of so much (his latest is the we're trying to genetically create fully functioning hermaphrodites) and tries to goad me into argument because he we are charged not to go into arugment with the dull and ignorant. However, I am chewing the inside of my jowells off to avoid saying something other than "It's not true". I have been keeping it together (hooray for me :)) but it is getting more difficult each day. Fortunately I only have to deal with that person for two hours a day (we work different shifts). So I am here venting my frustration here! Thank you brethern for allowing me to let off some steam. I feel better now.
You're doing well and would only incite this nutjob if you were to do more. A laugh and a shrug work well for me. Always refuse a battle of wits with an unarmed man :)

G

Gary

So, responding in any way shape or form constitutes arguing to him. :rolleyes:

This idiot thinks that because we are supposed to be mild mannered and not incite arguments that that gives him free license to harass you.

Since you now have witnesses, the next time this guy opens his pie hole tell him to take it up with his supervisor and that you've filed a hostile work environment charge. That'll shut him up unless he likes the unemployment line. Don't forget to give him a friendly smile afterwards. You wouldn't want to be rude. :D

Ask him to spell his last name, very slowly. And to speak into the button.

Winter

I've been here before
Or just bring a camera to work and walk up to him, don't say a word, take a bunch of pictures of his face and then walk away! lol The tin-foil-hat crowd are so easy to get wound up!

Winter/486,
As funny as that would be, it would also cause much disharmony on the job site and the Airmen that I work with would quickly "throw me under the bus" for causing a distubance.:eek: It would be funny otherwise!:D

G

Gary

Well, you could always opt to play to his fears, and tell him that the order is well aware of him and will be watching him. Something to the effect of needing harvest some body parts for our hermaphrodite experiments... hand him some tin foil and tell him to wear it as a hat to prevent us from reading his mind.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I would have fun like GaryE said. Ashlar's advice would be more useful, but someone like that I would just have some fun with. Ask him if he wants a ride in my space ship. Bring him some tin foil, or better yet, tell them we control the tin foil supply and that bubble wrap is the new thing. Want to see the photograph of the shooter on the Grassy Knoll? I can get you a tour of Area 51.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
While all the above suggestions would be fun (and are meant to be fun), I think you'd do best to just say "Uh-huh" and then ignore the guy. If he can't get a rise out of you, he should soon back off and leave you alone. If he won't leave you alone, you may eventually have to file harassment charges against him and that would not be pretty. But ... don't threaten him, don't play games with him, and above all, don't enter into discussions with him about the craft. There's that old internet adage: Don't feed the trolls. You'll never convince him of the truth, so why bother trying? He's happiest getting you all hot & bothered, so don't get hot & bothered. After a short while of this, he'll move on to other targets.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
[snip]
Don't argue, just make him look like an idiot. Ask him to produce tangible proof of his accusations, or shut up. It's considered harassment in the work place. Which is against the law. Something to the effect of creating a hostile work environment....
Pulling out my BA in HR, harrassment is in the eyes of the victim, if this guy is creating, as Gary put it, a 'hostile work environment', you have to tell the harrasser to 'stop', that what he is doing bothers you, do it in front of witnesses. When he next starts up on you, you can then go straight to management and report him for harrassment. Be sure to use the word 'harrassment' and that you have told him to stop. FM bashing is no different than religious, gender, sexual orientation harrassment and falls under the same harrassment laws. Managers HAVE to respond to those accusations or the state government could get involved.

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
Did I catch you using the word Airmen? Please tell me this is not happening on a military installation... :mad:

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Managers HAVE to respond to those accusations or the state government could get involved.
Indeed. Or we could just all don hoods and show up at the offender's front door with torches and pitchforks ...

Hey, Russ ... what's that EIEIO in your signature? You're not even an MM yet. Don't make me break out my pitchfork, Brother.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Indeed. Or we could just all don hoods and show up at the offender's front door with torches and pitchforks ...

Hey, Russ ... what's that EIEIO in your signature? You're not even an MM yet. Don't make me break out my pitchfork, Brother.
I'm a joiner?
Oh & here is partial list of my letters

:confused: PPL, CX, HP, BA M/C & HR, ULC.
R-C&S, RM, PG, GPR.

Sir Duncan Russell Comyn,
Noble Cleric of Clan Ironwolf,
Defender of Scotland

Old Sim
Gunners Mate
Wil's revenge

Jamie Elliott
Chaplain for the Free Company of the Outlanders

Did I catch you using the word Airmen? Please tell me this is not happening on a military installation... :mad:
Fortunately, the two of us are Civil Service but yes it is on a military installation. A couple of Airmen approached me about being aprt of the Fraternity and They are both u our Lodge's newest EA's! Actually the G.I.s (for the most part) have a lot of Respect for the AF&AM!

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
I second the idea of bringing this to HR if he persists in harassing you. His knowing that you're not supposed to argue is not a license for him to try and keep baiting you.

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
I tend to go the other way when dealing with people like that by telling them the most outlandish things I can possibly think of. Just the other day I told my grandmother that part of being a MM is that I swore a blood oath to kill a KoC on sight. She just laughed at me and said that her husband (a Mason and my grandfather) had friends in the KoC. I just looked blankly at her and said "He had blood on his hands that you will never know about...." I like to keep her guessing.

I also once told a crackpot that the reason I joined was so that I would get a heads up when the masons finally unleashed the zombie virus on the world.