Forum Question from Elsewhere

Off topic a bit here.... but I have a thought...not sure if it will fall nto the intellectual realm or not:

Masonry is not a observation only sport...it does require some participation to get the full effect....

G

Gary

Masonry is guided by the map...YES...... but do you think everyone has the exact same map.... I do not, I believe the map may look the same but there will be some slight variations.... the variation is the personal values one... and as a mason we are to stick by our personal values....and have integrity. We are not to waiver on issues such as moral ones.... nor are we to say or suggest that another Brothers are wrong....I believe that that is why the compass is used as a symbol......it opens and closes to fit each one differently...
I believe the map laid out in ritual has the same terrain. How you interpret the symbols, is where some variation comes in. That said, the rudiments are the same.

Since you brought tools (I'm glad you did!), you drive my point home. The compasses are NOT one of the common working tools in the U.S. for a reason. They evaluate the work done, and lay out the plans. I work with the common gavel, the 24 inch gauge, plumb, and the square.

The virtues instilled by the mastery of those tools is what makes the Mason.

G

Gary

Masonry is guided by the map...YES...... but do you think everyone has the exact same map.... I do not, I believe the map may look the same but there will be some slight variations.... the variation is the personal values one... and as a mason we are to stick by our personal values....and have integrity. We are not to waiver on issues such as moral ones.... nor are we to say or suggest that another Brothers are wrong....I believe that that is why the compass is used as a symbol......it opens and closes to fit each one differently...
I believe the map laid out in ritual has the same terrain. How you interpret the symbols, is where some variation comes in. That said, the rudiments are the same.

Since you brought tools (I'm glad you did!), you drive my point home. The compasses are NOT one of the common working tools in the U.S. for a reason. They evaluate the work done, and lay out the plans. I work with the common gavel, the 24 inch gauge, plumb,level,and the square.

Since you brought tools (I'm glad you did!), you drive my point home. The compasses are NOT one of the common working tools in the U.S. for a reason. They evaluate the work done, and lay out the plans. I work with the common gavel, the 24 inch gauge, plumb, and the square.

Yep, the map has the same terrain on it but it does not have only one path...there can be many paths to the end of the journey.

As for the tools...I couldnt agree more and we master the tools by the plans laid out by our individual compasses..... and that is where the big difference in masonry is..... your work may not be laid out just the same as mine..... that is where the integrity comes in..... we must stick to the work laid out for us as individual masons.....

G

Gary

Where is Coach when you need him! :rolleyes:

I'm going to push the issue, and say that we are in agreement with the mastery of the tools part. The road map of your path to mastery is not the issue, it's the principles that we have learned from the symbols and externally manifest by our actions that gives us the common thread.

Where is Coach when you need him! :rolleyes:

I'm going to push the issue, and say that we are in agreement with the mastery of the tools part. The road map of your path to mastery is not the issue, it's the principles that we have learned from the symbols and externally manifest by our actions that gives us the common thread.
He likes to give us almost enough rope to hang ourselves....:eek:

I agree 100%........

G

Gary

He likes to give us almost enough rope to hang ourselves....:eek:

I agree 100%........
For me the rope isn't that long....LOL :p

It is my sincere hope that I was able to make my point. How effective I was at the delivery, well .... :eek:

I still don't think there is that much of a difference in Masons. The fraternity as a whole has differences but not the lessons taught. I do see your point of view though.

Oh...I do see your point and I think we are closer in thought than it may seem..... I just like to make counter points to take the discussion deeper. Its my way of prodding and poking........ how much fun would it be if we just agreed.....being a yes man is not the best way to get some light out for the masses.

As for rope....pssshhh...I think at times I already have the noose around my neck.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Oh...I do see your point and I think we are closer in thought than it may seem..... I just like to make counter points to take the discussion deeper. Its my way of prodding and poking........ how much fun would it be if we just agreed.....being a yes man is not the best way to get some light out for the masses.

As for rope....pssshhh...I think at times I already have the noose around my neck.
I agree with you FM99. :D

G

Gary

Oh I see how it is... taking his side are you? More Face Book pokes for you buster! :p

I often wonder if people think we are nuts. I thought for sure Brother Winter would chime in on this debate. He probably read the thread a said the looneys are at it again!

G

Gary

I like this , I would love to put this on a huge poster board and hang it in lodge .
As WM, I don't see why you couldn't. As the old saying goes, "If the shoe fits..." Those that are uncomfortable with it may need to examine themselves more critically.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Oh I see how it is... taking his side are you? More Face Book pokes for you buster! :p

I often wonder if people think we are nuts. I thought for sure Brother Winter would chime in on this debate. He probably read the thread a said the looneys are at it again!
Poke on! To explore a subject beyond the envelope is the path to discovery.

CoachN

Builder Builder
I like this , I would love to put this on a huge poster board and hang it in lodge .
You have my permission - just give credit :D
Okay, if we were to live by Coach's adage, then what of the appendant bodies? YR,SR,KT,OES,Shine,Commandry,etc?
They would have to adhere to this adage, as in, show how what they are doing to "actually does Build Better Builders" and doing so without distracting Masons (in other ways) from this primary activity or disband/detach from Freemasonry.

G

Gary

I wonder if anyone in my Lodge would notice if I put up a sign with Coaches quote on it. <snicker>

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
OK since I got an ego stroke.

We are all given the same key to the map, the map is laid out before us but then it gets tricky.

My map is the same Masonic map that every FM is shown. Masons know it to be a map and handle it as such. My map also come with a skewed version of a Christian map that I lay over top and mark my path accordingly with the tools I have mastered. Bro. Winter's map of religion is different as is a Islamic map. My path is highlighted and by the meshing of the two. The branching out routes is different but that's how we learn. I find out what was in your path and adjust my pace accordingly.

We need the GL's, it gives us some sense of consistency and regularity but once your in it's up to us to search and learn. I stick with the rules set out by my GL but like the Constitution, if it's not delegated there the power falls to me.