FreeMasonry Vs. Princehall Masonry

Derric

Is there any difference between the two types of Masonry? Besides the PrinceHall Masons being african-americans, of course. I spoke briefly about this with a Freemason, but we didn't get deep into the topic. I'm asking because people in the south are still separating the two. So, I'm curious to know if there's any difference in what's being taught or any other differences.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Short answer , there is no difference . We practice the same rituals with just a few subtle differences .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I cannot answer that question, I have never attended a PHA lodge, and I don't know of any in my local vacinity.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Sadly here in Florida their Lodges are not recognized. I would love to attend one someday. From reading about the history of PHA it all seems pretty much the same.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I need to add to my previous post that this is what I have been told by PHA Masons and what I have gleaned from PHA Masons on the internet .

Blaine B. Gemeny

Brother Hiram
Prince Hall lodges are not recognized solely on the fact that they can not trace their origins to either the Grand Lodge of Scotland or England, and is not based at all on the Racial Make-up or identity of their members. My family came to this great land from Europe to Colonial Virginia where they brought the Grand Idea of free masonry with them. Virginia was where the first Masonic Lodge was established in the United States making the Scottish Rite the oldest Fraternity here. Our family name Gemeny is Ancient which means we can trace our roots back to the Grand Lodges.

widow's son #68

So Mote It Be
Prince Hall lodges are not recognized solely on the fact that they can not trace their origins to either the Grand Lodge of Scotland or England, and is not based at all on the Racial Make-up or identity of their members. My family came to this great land from Europe to Colonial Virginia where they brought the Grand Idea of free masonry with them. Virginia was where the first Masonic Lodge was established in the United States making the Scottish Rite the oldest Fraternity here. Our family name Gemeny is Ancient which means we can trace our roots back to the Grand Lodges.
I challenge you first to go to the UGLE website and see who is recognized and who is not also who has the only remaining chater/ Warrant in the US, after this call the UGLE and ask who can be seated in an open meeting at the UGLE i think you'll find the truth EXTREMELY alarming ...I know for 100% that most princehall masons can!!!!! are origins are solid ive stood next to the orginal charter at african lodge #459 guarded 24/7 at bank in a sealed vault. i would like to see anyone elses charter.....good luck

McOwenJ

Is there any difference between the two types of Masonry? Besides the PrinceHall Masons being african-americans, of course. I spoke briefly about this with a Freemason, but we didn't get deep into the topic. I'm asking because people in the south are still separating the two. So, I'm curious to know if there's any difference in what's being taught or any other differences.
There should not be any difference! Freemasonry is a true Brotherhood of Men who all recognize the Fatherhood of God. It is not in keeping with true Masonic principles to discriminate against any race,color,religion or nationality! Having separate Lodges for white,black,and etc should never of happened if our Masonic brothers were truly following Masonic principles. Keeping certain races,colors,religions or nationalities out of any Masonic Lodge is UN MASONIC and IRREGULAR according to the purest form Freemasonry because it contradicts with the Brotherhood of Men and the Fatherhood of God! Let us not forget it was not until 1984 before the Grand Lodge of Utah stopped barring Mormons(Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)from joining or attending its Lodges. The Grand Lodge of Iowa recognizes the Prince Hall Lodges and Masons(visa versa) and this the way it should be! I look forward to the day when we have full and complete unification!!!

gmharim

I agree with u McOwenJ, I can't wait to see the day that we as men and as masonic brothers be recognizes as one organization other than separate organizations. It just upsets me so see a wonderful organization split and have animosity against each other

Freemasonry

Masonry

Yes, there is a difference. Without going into the history of why, I can tell you that the reason has nothing to do with race whatsoever. Free and Accepted Masonry is the fraternity that I am a member of. Prince Hall Masonry is sometimes identified as Ancient Free and Accepted Masonry, however, there are some Ancient Free and Accepted fraternities that are not Prince Hall Masons. The word "Ancient" does not have anything to do with the age of these fraternities. Free and Accepted Masonry is the oldest fraternity, and Ancient Free and Accepted Masonry came about later. These two Fraternities do not have any ill will for one another, however, if you join one of them you can not join the other until you demit your membership.

McOwenJ

We all need to work for full unification!

Thanks! We all need to work for full unification! One step at a Time!

cavetter

Actually, the UGLE recognized the PHAGL of Connecticut as Regular in 1982. Since then, almost all the "Regular" GLs in the US are in fraternal relations with the PHAGL within the jurisdiction. The only hold outs are in the southeastern US. When I was Junior PM of my Lodge in Japan, we recognized the PHAGL of Washington, and the GM and his grand line came to Tokyo from Washington to be received with private Grand Honors. The PHA Lodge near us actually uses the Okinawa Masonic Center for their meetings.

Winter

I've been here before
Brother Blaine,

PHA can actually trace it's origins to England. Prince Hall and the 14 other African-American Masons applied for and recieved their Warrent from the Grand Lodge of England in 1784 and they formed African Lodge #459 (Later changed to #370).

They were struck from the Roles, like all American Lodges, in 1813 when the Antients and Moderns reconciled and renamed itself African Lodge #1.

Since then, the major issue wasn't the color of their skin but rather the manner in which the PHA Grand Lodge was formed.

From the UGLE report on PHA: Notwithstanding the unusual transformation of its original Lodge into a Grand Lodge, the philosophy and practice of Prince Hall Masonry today are of exemplary regularity.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
As far as regularity is concerned: The United Grand Lodge of England has sealed the deal. According to them, PHA Lodges ARE regular. The combined Grand Lodges of the United States have put their stamp on it, too: all but five or six Grand Lodges in the USA recognize PHA as regular. Regularity is NOT the issue.

The original warrant allowing African-American Lodge to work is extant, and but for a few slips of the human kind, would be considered perfect (in a legal sense) by anyone. So, UGLE and most of the GL's here in the USA have no issue with PHA. So why don't we abandon the argument that PHA is not regular? Hmm?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
+ 1 PHA Grand Lodges are Regular wether they are recognized or not .

I would also like to add that I do not like the title of this thread . (1) there is no versus , it is not so-called Mainstream against PHA or vice versa . And (2) PHA Masonry IS Freemasonry .

There is one thing that has always bothered me concerning so-called Mainstream and PHA . They say we are no different , which we are not , yet we continue to label each other and label ourselves . Most every Freemason who is a member of Prince Hall states just that , they say they are a PHA Mason . It is not like I go around saying I am a GL of KY Mason , because I do not , I am a Freemason .

If we want to come together as Freemasons , then let's leave the titles out of the equation . Let's just say we are all Freemasons , who happen to be members of the GL of (place your jurisdiction here) or the PHAGL of (same as before) and quit dividing ourselves up into two different camps .

Winter

I've been here before
Well said, Ashlar.

Here in WI we have many joint events and visit each other's Lodges on a regular basis. I feel fortunate to have done so.

csalazar1830

I am so glad that the Masonic environment is such a place where you don't have to worry about intolerance. I am a Mormon, and other Christian denominations always call us evil and satanic. We're Christians just like they are. Its great to be able to be with people of other faiths and denominations and not worry about it. Not really relates to the post,but oh well.