FreeMasonry Vs. Princehall Masonry

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
My petition did not mention my color, only asked if I was free-born and of age and some other stuff to help them do a background check properly.
We have Brothers of color on the rolls of my Lodge, I have not met any of them yet. They are either just card carriers or just too busy to attend.

brothaofdes

Virginia was where the first Masonic Lodge was established in the United States making the Scottish Rite the oldest Fraternity here.
This is very interesting especially since I have been doing some research on the origins of Masonry in the US. The earliest references I have found is a document dating around 1705 in Philadelphia. Most lodges at that time were run using the old constitutions and there is little to no documentation of any lodge meetings.

If what you are saying is true (and I have reason to doubt you), I would love to see where you obtained evidence of Virginia being the first lodge in the colonies. This topic fascinates me because of the lack of any form of official, or even unofficial, documents.

topdown09

i think it was Racially influnced. the start of PH Masons becouse if im correct PH was not allow 2 joing the white lodge but was alloewd to start his own and peform the same rituals. that being said , thanfully today we have goottn more away from the racial aspect( though not completely) there are blacks in the so called whit lodges and whites in Ph lodges, I knw of a brother who moved to Washington state and said the 1st PHA lodge he went to he was the only blk man there

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
(snip)there are blacks in the so called whit lodges and whites in Ph lodges, I knw of a brother who moved to Washington state and said the 1st PHA lodge he went to he was the only blk man there
Yeah, the first time I went to a local PHA District meeting (I'm a 'Geo. Washington' Mason), one of the first Brothers I saw was Len, a tall blond guy, whom I ass-u-me-d was from one of 'our' lodges. I was wrong, he's now WM of one of the PHA lodges.

S&F

Brother Heath

In Maryland both groups have signed a mutual recognition agreement a few years ago. Last Thursday night my Lodge hosted the second annual meeting (at a Lodge) of both Grand Lodges, they meet regularly to confer on topics and build mutual friendships.

To my knowledge, they are no more different in their work than say one jurisdiction that is "Ancient, Free and Accepted" vs. another that is "Free and Accepted" masons, i.e., Maryland and California as an example.
Good afternoon,,
I am a rather new Fellow Craft Brother and I happen to be African-American. I am Ancient Free & Accepted as opposed to Prince Hall (which is VERY popular and local in my area of New Jersey).
To be perfectly honest, outside of my amateur studies in the early 90's, which I had looong forgotten, I didn't remember that they different "organizations" w seperate lineages, for lack of a better word. After my EA initiation, my lodge Brothers explained that I was AF&AM--and I didn't think much of it until I started paying attention to some of my lodge Brothers along w members of my Motorcycle CLub who happen to be PHA.
My President, who is a Master, will not even discuss Masonry w me or another club-mate/Brother who is AF&AM.
He says he doesn't really care, but was told by his WM that PHA cannot have Masonic discussions w others (my word), presumably AFAM/International, etc.
I have another club-mate who is also a higher degree PHA Mason, who WILL casually discuss Masonry, but only enough to say that PHA is the real deal and everything else is "clandestine".
Its annoying and rather frustrating.
Have a great evening, Brothers.

Winter

I've been here before
Different jurisdiction, Brother Heath, have different relations with the PHA in their area. For instance, I am a Wisconsin Mason and we enjoy excellent and healthy fraternal relations with our PHA Brothers. But I live now in Florida where never the two shall mix.

Bob Franks

Good afternoon,,
I am a rather new Fellow Craft Brother and I happen to be African-American. I am Ancient Free & Accepted as opposed to Prince Hall (which is VERY popular and local in my area of New Jersey).
To be perfectly honest, outside of my amateur studies in the early 90's, which I had looong forgotten, I didn't remember that they different "organizations" w seperate lineages, for lack of a better word. After my EA initiation, my lodge Brothers explained that I was AF&AM--and I didn't think much of it until I started paying attention to some of my lodge Brothers along w members of my Motorcycle CLub who happen to be PHA.
My President, who is a Master, will not even discuss Masonry w me or another club-mate/Brother who is AF&AM.
He says he doesn't really care, but was told by his WM that PHA cannot have Masonic discussions w others (my word), presumably AFAM/International, etc.
I have another club-mate who is also a higher degree PHA Mason, who WILL casually discuss Masonry, but only enough to say that PHA is the real deal and everything else is "clandestine".
Its annoying and rather frustrating.
Have a great evening, Brothers.
This is distressing.
To quote Paul Bessel [at bessel dot org slash masrec slash phachart dot htm] "April 25, 2002
Recognition was contingent on PH GL voting similar recognition, and visitation details to be worked out in the future. This was done.
In April 2004, the GL of NJ adopted a "blanket" recognition policy, where it recognizes all Prince Hall Grand Lodges that are recognized by the PH GL of NJ and "mainstream" Grand Lodges in the jurisdiction of those PH GLs."

You might check with your GL, and make certain that the "Prince Hall Masons" you've met are of the GL that yours recognizes. Something really sounds fishy here.
There is also a "Prince Hall Origin [PHO]" set of GLs that neither group recognizes. Heck there's lots of guys out there calling themselves Masons whom we don't recognize.
Further investigation is certainly in order.

S&F

Bill_F

Masonry

Yes, there is a difference. Without going into the history of why, I can tell you that the reason has nothing to do with race whatsoever. Free and Accepted Masonry is the fraternity that I am a member of. Prince Hall Masonry is sometimes identified as Ancient Free and Accepted Masonry, however, there are some Ancient Free and Accepted fraternities that are not Prince Hall Masons. The word "Ancient" does not have anything to do with the age of these fraternities. Free and Accepted Masonry is the oldest fraternity, and Ancient Free and Accepted Masonry came about later. These two Fraternities do not have any ill will for one another, however, if you join one of them you can not join the other until you demit your membership.
I belong to a lodge of F&AM now. If I were to move to a state where it was AF&AM, I would have to demit my membership here? Is this true?

Winter

I've been here before
The designations of "F.&A.M." and "A.F.&A.M." have no actual meaning anymore. Those are hold-overs to back to the quasi-civil war in Freemasonry between the Antients and the Moderns. They only show where a modern jurisdiction received its Warrant from. Jurisdictions have grown and developed independently since then and this designation has nothing to do with a Mason in good standing moving and living in a separate jurisdiction.

Bob Franks

We have a local county social meeting of Masons from the 2 grand lodges for dinner every 2 months. The traditions, customs, and pride are strong on both sides. Much would be lost if there was consolidation or merger.
I enjoy seeing the differences in ritual when when I travel, either nearby, distant, or abroad! I treasure the prospect of seeing another aspect of my Craft.

S&F