AngelicHuman

How long on average does it take to become a master mason?

Also, may I have an example of something I may be asked to do if I became a member.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
The timeframe is dependent on your dedication to postings and learning.
A typical question: Have you been conficted of a felony

AngelicHuman

Oh no, I never have been convicted of a felony. Are you just asking, or is that one of the actual questions to become a member?

AngelicHuman

Oh I see. That one would only make sense =).

A fellow classmate was explaining to me how he has been invited to join his local lodge after i mentioned I was thinking of petitioning myself. He mentioned his friend's father that has been a member for 10 years i think. When i asked him his rank, he said he was not a Master Mason. Now, im not sure if his lack of knowledge of masonry led him to believe his friends father was not a master mason or if it is actually true.

There is only 2 steps to pass for full membership, and 10 years seems like a long time to wait =)

Winter

I've been here before
A: You cannot be invited to join. It is a decision you must come to on your own.

B: There are no "ranks" in Masonry. While many degrees have numbers in ascending order, and it is true that a man is not considered a full Mason until the 3rd degree, a so-called "higher" degree does not place a man in a position of power.

AngelicHuman

Thank you winter.

Power is not of my interest. I am lacking knowledge of masonry, and confused myself into thinking that there can be many master masons in a lodge :S.

Secrets are also not of any interest to me. Truth however is of great interest.

Certain secrets of the highest degrees are only facts that were discovered prior to the age of Masonry, and they were closely Guarded Facts. Very very few men have discovered these facts without being a mason. What i do know, and i will share with everyone here is that these so called secrets are very scary to those who are not ready to find out, and can get that person in a lot of trouble if they take it to a level they think they can control, but later find out they are gravely mistaken.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Thank you winter.

Power is not of my interest. I am lacking knowledge of masonry, and confused myself into thinking that there can be many master masons in a lodge :S.

Certain secrets of the highest degrees are only facts that were discovered prior to the age of Masonry, and they were closely Guarded Facts. Very very few men have discovered these facts without being a mason. What i do know, and i will share with everyone here is that these so called secrets are very scary to those who are not ready to find out, and can get that person in a lot of trouble if they take it to a level they think they can control, but later find out they are gravely mistaken.
Sir-
I am not sure what it is you think Masonry guards as secrets, but it does not sound like you are on track to find them! The only things we hold secret, or more accurately private, are the modes of recognition, passwords, and the precise nature of our rituals (degrees).
The "real secrets of Masonry," though, are the morals and standards taught in the degrees, which are ALREADY in the hearts of every good and moral person.

Treadstone

I'd have to agree with Bro. Franks. Sounds like you have more of the stretched story of freemasonry than a accurate account of who and what. And it is correct that you choose to be a brother. Invites could be suggested in a friendly manner but to know and want to be a true mason takes you yourself to make that decision. I suggest you research Freemasonry more. Get the real facts. My family has been masonic since the revolutionary war and before. When I was younger and wanted to follow family tradition I was told you had to have a family member that was a Freemason to join the organization. And at this time you had to be 21 as well. Do you have a family member that was a Mason? I hear now also the age limit is younger.

G

Gary

Treadstone, I'm not sure I read your post correctly, I've never heard of the necessity of having a family member that is a Mason in order to join the fraternity. Obviously it would help, but it isn't mandatory. At least not in my jurisdiction.

2B1ASK1 (in person) it's that simple.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Thank you winter.

You have me a bit spooked by your interpretation of the fraternity. Regardless of what you have heard or been told, Bro. Frank has done an excellent job at explaining that the true secret(s) of fraternity is the moral and social virtues of the man petitioning. There is no knowledge in freemasonry that will ever put a member in jeopardy in any fashion whatsoever. There is nothing dangerous in freemasonry, and often times the insidious are the ones to speak without knowledge, condemn without knowledge, and speak ill of our venerable institution without regard for those belonging thereunto.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
You have me a bit spooked by your interpretation of the fraternity. Regardless of what you have heard or been told, Bro. Frank has done an excellent job at explaining that the true secret(s) of fraternity is the moral and social virtues of the man petitioning. There is no knowledge in freemasonry that will ever put a member in jeopardy in any fashion whatsoever. There is nothing dangerous in freemasonry, and often times the insidious are the ones to speak without knowledge, condemn without knowledge, and speak ill of our venerable institution without regard for those belonging thereunto.
This is true , books like Dan Brown's "The Lost symbol" does not help in these false rumors that we , Freemasons , are sitting on some life altering , world changing secrets that the general public can not handle because they are not ready for them .

Winter

I've been here before
This is true , books like Dan Brown's "The Lost symbol" does not help in these false rumors that we , Freemasons , are sitting on some life altering , world changing secrets that the general public can not handle because they are not ready for them .
I'd ay that sums up what we learn as Masons nicely. :)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I'd ay that sums up what we learn as Masons nicely. :)
This is very true . I should have said "nefarious" secrets .

Edit * I also meant to say that though "the Lost Symbol" the Masons were portrayed in a positive light, but some read what they want into these types of books .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Thank you winter.

Most of the men in Lodge are Master Masons. There is only one Worshipful Master but he's the elected leader of the Lodge, like a Chairman in the meetings.

You have been misinformed. There are three degrees in Freemasonry: Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft and Master Mason. There is no higher degree than Master Mason. There is an appendant body called "Scottish Rite" that confers the fourth through thirty second degree on their members but the lessons of each of these degrees only elaborate and explain the first three degrees. It's kind of like graduate school for Masons.

We've been around for hundreds of years, we are guided by the three virtues of Brotherly Love, Truth and Relief. That's all there is to it. Of course, I plan to spend my life learning and living those three simple virtues as millions of men have done before me.

We are charged from the beginning of our journey to not engage people who are trying to ridicule the Craft. As a result, there are a whole bunch more idiotic web sites out there claiming they have all the answers and that Freemasons are evil. If you want the truth, check out the Grand Lodge of your Jurisdiction's (State or country) web site or AskaFreemason.org :. Home and then come back with your questions. I think you might find, as I have, that there is a place where virtue and brotherhood are cherished. That place is Freemasonry.

AngelicHuman

Oh im sorry brothers, I was half asleep during that last post. I should of totally re worded that. What i meant was...There are somethings that the normal non-mason should not know, and they might interpret these entities the wrong way, and get into alot of trouble.

I understand that there is certain things the higher degrees know that are not to be discussed with certain lower ranks.

once again, sorry, I am not misinformed, just not all there when i was typing that. I know you guys take your frat seriously.

I am on the road to masonry, i can assure you that much =)

Bropreston

you are just repeating what all the anti`s love to throw at us my friend. we are not the nwo or lizards etc. to use the tag line used by a company that sells building materials here in england, freemasonry " does exactly what it says on the tin". In England the ancient and accepted (scottish) rite is just one of numerous SIDE orders dont be blinded by all this talk of the 33 degree.... S&F Bropreston

AngelicHuman

If I want to petition, than how would you figure I am repeating what "anti's lovists" would say? I would never do anything to hurt the freemasons. I pass by the lodge everyday, and say to myself "when will i walk up and knock on the door". Its right next door to me by the way. I am a very good man, and i want to become a better man. Like I said, im sorry for how i worded the original post. I have been in positions of power, and there are certain things that cannot be discussed outside of our group. Some of these things leaked out where mis-interpreted, and the people who did these things got burned for it. That is why certain things cannnot be known by non-masons. Rules are there for a reason, and yes there is corruption in all positions of power. There will always be a bad apple. I was one of the most loyal and honest of our group, but there was always that one person that liked to give us a bad reputation.

Also, these lizards you speak of I am unaware of. Im not a conspiracy theorist, nor an anti-mason, and i feel that im being a bit insulted as well. There is two ends to that stick brother. My former apology in the post you responded to was enough to show you Im not against any of you.

Coxman

AngelicHuman, your concerns are valid, how long does it take to become a Master Mason?
In our Lodge, 3 nights worth, after 3 Degrees, you are a Mason. True, there is really no "rank" there are Officers. I am Master of my Lodge, but we are all equal. In Nebraska you have to be 21, as far as what you might be asked to do? Being a good Brother, practicing the tenets of Masonry, upholding your obligations, that is good enough for some. You will get out of Masonry what you put into it.