pdh825

Master Mason
Forgive me for being so worried about being accepted into my local lodge.

All the MM's that vote...I was never good at making everyone impressed. There was always that one person in a group that had their suspicions, whether it be one of the students in my classroom, or one of my friends friend's. There is an old saying. "you can't make everyone happy" It only takes one vote to turn me down. Im really worried about that. If everyone truly knew the type of person I was inside, they should have no problems accepting me. What if its the littlest thing, like maybe the person will not like what im wearing at the time? LOL i know im being way too cynical, but i feel i must. This is a big step for me, and i dont want to screw it up
This is why you need to visit a Lodge. You said there is a Lodge right next door to you. When you see cars in the parking lot, wander on over and introduce yourself and tell them you are interested in finding out more about the fraternity. Are you at least 21? 21 is the minimum age for membership in NJ per the Grand Lodge Website Becoming a Mason / New Jersey Grand Lodge .

...maybe the person will not like what I'm wearing at the time?
It matters not what is on the outside, it is what is on the inside that truly matters.

2.) Why do I want to join freemasonry?

To be around very honest, loyal, and positive people. To experience what it is like to have a special bond with other men, and be able to share many feelings with them as well. I was an only child, and what ive always wanted was to have a brother, and to be a big brother as well, I think I can really find this in freemasonry. ya know...Proving we can be even a better men than we are trying to be is very important to us.

We as men are brought here for a greater purpose. I want to be enlightened with great knowledge from the freemasons. The Mystery also helps!!!
Good up until the part I put in bold. It does not sit well with me. It could give an impression of mercenary motives. Before you take offense at my statement, I urge you to thoroughly research it to see what I mean. After you discover what I mean, you may wish to reword that portion of your answer.

3)What is it that im looking for in freemasonry?

Very special people. You call them brothers!, and to become a better person. Besides the history, brotherhood, and teachings...I really do not know what else to expect. Non-masons will say there is power to gain, but if you had a good look inside my brain, you would see that is something that is not of any true interest of mine. Yeah its nice and all at first, but power is really just hard work to an honest person. We only use it when its necessary.
Again, the part in bold "raises a flag". Do you think there is some power to gain, and if so what would that be. My Brothers, we all know the answer, please let the potential candidate answer for himself on this point.

what im trying to say is...
I just want to let the freemasons know my true intentions, and how i feel in my heart and soul.
What and how?

AngelicHuman

oh man, I guess im oblivious to what is a red flag statement. Forgive me, I want knowledge of freemason history. I love history, and to me there is mystery for I know nothing about it.

The power statement was basically referring to another statement that was made by another mason in one of my thread saying something about people join to gain power, and I replied to it as that is not of any interest of mine.

And my true intentions are my reasons that were not in bold. I just want that special bond, and brotherhood. I want to be a better man.

AngelicHuman

Also, i guess you guys are so protective because alot of bad things must of happened in the past im unaware of by non-masons.

sorry again

Ok, im not exactly sure how to research what i said was wrong, maybe you can link me to a website?

Also, please do not take offense, but regardless of what these so called people that try to do damage to freemasonry. I think there is a big misconception as to what I am saying.

Wanting to be enlightened with knowledge of freemasonry doesnt seem like a bad thing, how else am I to motivate myself to learn?

AngelicHuman

Im starting to get used to certain people on these forums protecting themselves, I guess there is alot more to learn about freemasonry than i originally thought. I will no longer take offense to anything, but i will take it as a constructive comments, and also as a learning experience. This is a good thing. Although I do think the term Mercenary is a little overboard...I dont hurt people, I do not even like killing bugs. except for centipedes in my basement, i just dont want those things around me. ughh. Im just a normal person, I wake up, and go to school, I like to cook, and on my spare time, im usually studying and talking to my wonderful future wife. My real friends are good people at heart that are just like me. We are just trying to be better people in life. I will think 4 times about what i type and say around masons from now on.

G

Gary

Also, i guess you guys are so protective because alot of bad things must of happened in the past im unaware of by non-masons.

sorry again

Ok, im not exactly sure how to research what i said was wrong, maybe you can link me to a website?

Also, please do not take offense, but regardless of what these so called people that try to do damage to freemasonry. I think there is a big misconception as to what I am saying.

Wanting to be enlightened with knowledge of freemasonry doesnt seem like a bad thing, how else am I to motivate myself to learn?
This may sound simple, but Wikipedia has quite a bit of general information:

Freemasonry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pdh825

Master Mason
The part I am referring to is:
AngelicHuman said:
I want to be enlightened with great knowledge from the freemasons.
It isn't "wrong", it is just that depending on how this is taken, it could mean that you expect to gain something material therefore making it a mercenary motive. I do not think that is your intention, I am just trying to get you to think outside the box so to speak. What do you intend to DO with this "great knowledge" as you call it? I am fairly confident of what your answer will be. Think about Why you are going to School, and what you intend to DO with what you gain there and why.

Protective, yes we are protective of many things. After you are initiated, you will understand, or at least begin to understand why that is so. You will also learn why some things are kept secret. There IS a logical Explanation for it that is made clear in the 3 degrees.

You have questions and want answers, what is there to be sorry about?

pdh825

Master Mason
Im starting to get used to certain people on these forums protecting themselves, I guess there is alot more to learn about freemasonry than i originally thought. I will no longer take offense to anything, but i will take it as a constructive comments, and also as a learning experience. This is a good thing. Although I do think the term Mercenary is a little overboard...
You are stuck on one meaning of the word mercenary. Look further......OUTSIDE the box. Words have more than one meaning.

AngelicHuman

mercenary
- 3 dictionary results

mer·ce·nar·y
   /ˈmɜrsəˌnɛri/ Show Spelled [mur-suh-ner-ee] Show IPA adjective, noun, plural -nar·ies.
–adjective
working or acting merely for money or other reward; venal.
hired to serve in a foreign army, guerrilla organization, etc.
–noun
a professional soldier hired to serve in a foreign army.

well, 2, and 3 are most certainly eliminated so i guess you mean 1.

I dont see the money gain though, thats not why I want to be a mason. brothers are more important than money.

My financial gain will come from the field im going to school for. HVAC. I will start a business, and make great money. The school is $25,000 for 1year. Im very dedicated to what im doing right now. I will be successful.

G

Gary

A.H.,

"Mercenary Motives" is a term that simplified means that you have a hidden agenda or are pursuing Freemasonry for some type of physical gain.

pdh825

Master Mason
mercenary
- 3 dictionary results

mer·ce·nar·y
   /ˈmɜrsəˌnɛri/ Show Spelled [mur-suh-ner-ee] Show IPA adjective, noun, plural -nar·ies.
–adjective
working or acting merely for money or other reward; venal.
hired to serve in a foreign army, guerrilla organization, etc.
–noun
a professional soldier hired to serve in a foreign army.

well, 2, and 3 are most certainly eliminated so i guess you mean 1.

I dont see the money gain though, thats not why I want to be a mason. brothers are more important than money.

My financial gain will come from the field im going to school for. HVAC. I will start a business, and make great money. The school is $25,000 for 1year. Im very dedicated to what im doing right now. I will be successful.
Correct, 2 and 3 are out. 1 is the correct meaning I am using. However, look past the word money and you see "other gain". Lets look at your plan after school. Besides making money (always a nice by product by the way), what will the purpose of your business be?

AngelicHuman

If you mean purpose of my business as far as HVAC.

I would have to say stable grounds for me and my future wife, and for my children and other future generations. I always dreamed of owning a big company where managers and employees are all equal, and people never get fired or laid off even if they screwed up badly, even if they showed up late everyday, i will try to work with them. I want to own a company just like that, a place were we can work out our problems if there are any, and being as equals, employees can freely make suggestions to their bosses, and criticize them constructively without fear of losing their jobs. Money really is not everything to me. I lived my whole life happy without it...well at least most of my life, there was a time years ago were money was all I aimed for, but that was part of immaturity, and i learned quick. Money however just is a way of life in America. If it was up to me, I would live off the land, and hunt my own food, but in most cases the laws make that illegal, and there are set seasons to hunt...the way society is these days...people would just think i was plane out crazy if i attempted to live my life like that. While I was raised on good values. I was also taught that money is what you need to get places in life, but i strongly believe thats not the case.

If you mean my business with freemasonry is. Thats a whole other subject, my business with freemasonry is to earn a special bond with other men, and to have brothers that i never had.

Ok, your going to visit your lodge now. I will see you on another day P

pdh825

Master Mason
If you mean purpose of my business as far as HVAC.

I would have to say stable grounds for me and my future wife, and for my children and other future generations. I always dreamed of owning a big company where managers and employees are all equal, and people never get fired or laid off even if they screwed up badly, even if they showed up late everyday, i will try to work with them. I want to own a company just like that, a place were we can work out our problems if there are any, and being as equals, employees can freely make suggestions to their bosses, and criticize them constructively without fear of losing their jobs. Money really is not everything to me. I lived my whole life happy without it...well at least most of my life, there was a time years ago were money was all I aimed for, but that was part of immaturity, and i learned quick. Money however just is a way of life in America. If it was up to me, I would live off the land, and hunt my own food, but in most cases the laws make that illegal, and there are set seasons to hunt...the way society is these days...people would just think i was plane out crazy if i attempted to live my life like that. While I was raised on good values. I was also taught that money is what you need to get places in life, but i strongly believe thats not the case.

If you mean my business with freemasonry is. Thats a whole other subject, my business with freemasonry is to earn a special bond with other men, and to have brothers that i never had.

Ok, your going to visit your lodge now. I will see you on another day P
You are getting there. Yes you are going to school to learn about HVAC and how to run a business to provide income for yourself so that you can enjoy material things and have a comfortable life. Again, Think outside the box. Think about what you as an HVAC tech DO in the course of a day's WORK. Do you spend all day, every day fixing and working on your own system?

AngelicHuman

well, not even really. Material things just dont phase me anymore like they did in the past. Im way past that. A car for instance. Im happy with a car that wont break down on me, and is clean. Thats all. You see rich folks driving mediocre cars, its because they dont feel the need to have a flashy car. Thats how i feel right now. What i want out of my money is a comfortable place to live. A 70" flat screen is nice, but not for flashy purposes, just to have a bigger picture cause its easier on my eyes. I want to fix up a tooth thats been bothering me for quite sometime, but i have no insurance..lol I just want to be able to breath so I can go on with my true purpose in life, and I have a good feeling about what im able to accomplish. Everytime i respect a fellow human, and do what god wants me to, i always ask God to not reward me for anything, but rather notice my efforts. That to me is more than money is worth. Maybe its a self fulfilling need to be appreciated, and respected, or maybe its just natural...i dunno.

but back to your question. the answer is no, i do not spend all day working on my system. I should be doing that, but im way to preoccupied with less important things

AngelicHuman

Im kind of ready to ask you a question. Actually this is for anyone, because you all qualify to answer this one.

I always here the saying. Making good men better men.

What do masons define as a good man?

Let me know how close I am to your defining please.

A good man.

Someone who seeks maturity. A person who does his best every minute of everyday to better himself, and respect the people and things around him even in thought. A person who admits to their own faults, and isnt afraid to ask for advice. A person who honestly does 100% in being loyal to his agreements. A person who already considers before declining, and examines before acceptance.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
AH, Your grammar & sentence structure is interestingly different, is English your first language?

pdh825

Master Mason
but back to your question. the answer is no, i do not spend all day working on my system. I should be doing that, but im way to preoccupied with less important things
Please think about the question. Look at the words. Again, think outside the box, look beyond what is on the surface. The question again is:
"Think about what you as an HVAC tech DO in the course of a day's WORK. Do you spend all day, every day fixing and working on your own system? "
I can't really break it down any more without giving you the answer. You go to school to learn the trade, thereby improving yourself. With this improvement, what are you able to DO? Are you (and your family) the ONLY one(s) who benefit?

Look at your instructors at school. They all learned the trade previously and improved themselves. What do they DO now with the improvement they made in themselves.

AngelicHuman

AH, Your grammar & sentence structure is interestingly different, is English your first language?

Oh yes, english is my first language, and I was born in NJ. I tend to be a bit slangish at times, and use words like "cause" as short for "because"

Ill try better to correct my sentence structure. I fell into a habit of not caring much about my typing as long as the other person understands what i mean.

PDH, i understand what you mean now. They teach others.

For example, years ago when someone did me a favor, i would sometimes say...

"Your a good man", or "your the best"

I then realized what i was saying, I was actually saying they wouldn't be good, or the best if they didn't help me. From that day forth, everytime I heard someone state those words after being helped, I would approach them, and teach them what they are saying wrong so that they can be a better person. I never failed once to teach someone that, and everytime i have gotten positive feedback. I love to teach people what i have learned. It is the right thing to do.

pdh825

Master Mason
Oh yes, english is my first language, and I was born in NJ. I tend to be a bit slangish at times, and use words like "cause" as short for "because"

Ill try better to correct my sentence structure. I fell into a habit of not caring much about my typing as long as the other person understands what i mean.

PDH, i understand what you mean now. They teach others.

For example, years ago when someone did me a favor, i would sometimes say...

"Your a good man", or "your the best"

I then realized what i was saying, I was actually saying they wouldn't be good, or the best if they didn't help me. From that day forth, everytime I heard someone state those words after being helped, I would approach them, and teach them what they are saying wrong so that they can be a better person. I never failed once to teach someone that, and everytime i have gotten positive feedback. I love to teach people what i have learned. It is the right thing to do.
There you go!

Have you visited the lodge yet?