Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Please. Everyone stop responding. I have to follow my instincts and pull out the troll flag on this one. The person posting hit too many of the markers and makes me believe that they have motives that are less than noble.

If you are serious about becoming a Mason, I wish you well. But it is obvious that you have misconceptions, and we as an internet discussion group, are necessarily wary.

To my Brothers, remember your Charge.
Your word is final, Brother. I don't think anybody would go any further than we already have with our friend and I, too smell something cowanish about this thread.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Your word is final, Brother. I don't think anybody would go any further than we already have with our friend and I, too smell something cowanish about this thread.
I agree, I was suspect and was just waiting for the Troll Polica to intervene.

AngelicHuman

Please. Everyone stop responding. I have to follow my instincts and pull out the troll flag on this one. The person posting hit too many of the markers and makes me believe that they have motives that are less than noble.

If you are serious about becoming a Mason, I wish you well. But it is obvious that you have misconceptions, and we as an internet discussion group, are necessarily wary.

To my Brothers, remember your Charge.

Woah????:(

Why on earth would you call me a troll? I dont understand about the markers, I apologized for my misconceptions already, and for your info, i am very serious about being a mason, and if i wasnt, I wouldnt be wasting my time. If i petition and I am accepted, than there will be unsettled tensions between us sir, i feel we must settle this misunderstanding now.

AngelicHuman

I have also looked up the word COWAN

Cow"an\ (kou"an), n. [Cf. OF. couillon a coward, a cullion.] One who works as a mason without having served a regular apprenticeship. [Scot.]

Note: Among Freemasons, it is a cant term for pretender, interloper.

Well, not as bad as its defined if you leave out the coward part. Since im so interested in becoming a mason, is it wrong to try and fit in with other masons?

I do not pretend to be a mason, i wouldnt know where to begin besides helping out the community. I dont go around telling people im a mason when im not. That would be just silly.

Some of the other members that responded to my posts are very polite and unknowingly pushed me into wanting to be a mason. How many times to I have to apologize for my misconception before I can gain your respect? Without this website, I am kind of lost. I want to be as ready as I can before i go to my local lodge and petition. Im quite nervous I might say something during my interview that would make me declined. If i get declined when i petition, it would break my heart. How will I know you wont contact my local lodge and throw a flag??? you guys are very well connected, and i have every reason to be concerned about this

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I have also looked up the word COWAN

Cow"an\ (kou"an), n. [Cf. OF. couillon a coward, a cullion.] One who works as a mason without having served a regular apprenticeship. [Scot.]

Note: Among Freemasons, it is a cant term for pretender, interloper.

Well, not as bad as its defined if you leave out the coward part. Since im so interested in becoming a mason, is it wrong to try and fit in with other masons?

I do not pretend to be a mason, i wouldnt know where to begin besides helping out the community. I dont go around telling people im a mason when im not. That would be just silly.

Some of the other members that responded to my posts are very polite and unknowingly pushed me into wanting to be a mason. How many times to I have to apologize for my misconception before I can gain your respect? Without this website, I am kind of lost. I want to be as ready as I can before i go to my local lodge and petition. Im quite nervous I might say something during my interview that would make me declined. If i get declined when i petition, it would break my heart. How will I know you wont contact my local lodge and throw a flag??? you guys are very well connected, and i have every reason to be concerned about this
two steps

Step 1: Back to basics: contact your local Lodge, go there, meet some Brothers, BE YOURSELF, explain yourself as a seeker, and get to know them and they you (this can take a week, month, year, it is mostly on you) then ask for a petition and get it filled out and signed.

Step 2: When in doubt see step 1.

The active members of this forum as zealous about Freemasonry and have been 'trolled' several times recently so we are a little punchy. None of us will 'drop a dime' on you. We are not a Lodge, as much as some of us wish we were, we are Brothers from all over the world, who are geeky enough to spend inordinate amounts of time surfing Da 'Net, found this great place to share and share we do.

When in doubt see step 1.

AngelicHuman

ok thank you duncan, i will get to know my local masons soon enough.

I found my towns website for my lodge but i cant find any local public event announcements. So what shall i do from there? Elucid lodge 136

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
ok thank you duncan, i will get to know my local masons soon enough.

I found my towns website for my lodge but i cant find any local public event announcements. So what shall i do from there? Elucid lodge 136
On Euclid 136's website, there aren't any events on their calendar that would be of interest to the public, so I would just email the secretary: Bro. George F. Joseph, Email: Joseph_George@EMC.COM

Looks like if you check their website:

Home Page

from time to time, like the first of the month, you may find an activity of interest to a prospect.

good luck

AngelicHuman

thank you bob! I will contact the secretary via e-mail when im ready.

you have all helped me out, and i look forward to more conversations with all of you i the future.

pdh825

Master Mason
AngelicHuman - You have asked a lot of questions which is a good thing. You have also posted some things which we as Masons readily recognize as misconceptions by the uninitiated, and once you begin your journey, you too will see why some have taken the stance they have. As Master Masons, we have a duty to guard well a certain entrance.

Three of the most important questions that I have not seen any of the Brothers here pose to you are:
1) Whom do you put your trust in

2) Why do you want to be a Mason?

3)What is it that you are looking to find in Masonry?

As for what to expect during your degrees, you can expect to be instructed. You can expect to take part in a centuries old tradition. Everyone there during your degrees, went through exactly the same process. The Brothers here at Freemason Hall all went through similar processes, they may not be identical because each jurisdiction has slight differences but the concept and meaning is the same. My advice to you is to not worry.

Laxguy38922

Great Post Brother, 3 of the most important questions

AngelicHuman - You have asked a lot of questions which is a good thing. You have also posted some things which we as Masons readily recognize as misconceptions by the uninitiated, and once you begin your journey, you too will see why some have taken the stance they have. As Master Masons, we have a duty to guard well a certain entrance.

Three of the most important questions that I have not seen any of the Brothers here pose to you are:

As for what to expect during your degrees, you can expect to be instructed. You can expect to take part in a centuries old tradition. Everyone there during your degrees, went through exactly the same process. The Brothers here at Freemason Hall all went through similar processes, they may not be identical because each jurisdiction has slight differences but the concept and meaning is the same. My advice to you is to not worry.

AngelicHuman

Those are great questions!

1) Who do i put my trust into?

Well, thats a really open ended question for me. Im not sure in what aspect you mean, but i will answer this one the best i can.

I have 2 best friends in life, and the rest are just friends, and hangout buddies. To be honest, I would have to say I can put full trust in just 1 of my 2 best friends because he is the most honest person I have been around my entire life, a person who fully abides by the law as well. There have been several times where he has more than proven his worth as my most trusting friend. The other person would be my mother, because im her only child, and I know she would never say or do anything that would hurt me. I know in my heart that these are the only two people I can put my trust into...that is until I become a mason!

2.) Why do I want to join freemasonry?

To be around very honest, loyal, and positive people. To experience what it is like to have a special bond with other men, and be able to share many feelings with them as well. I was an only child, and what ive always wanted was to have a brother, and to be a big brother as well, I think I can really find this in freemasonry. ya know...Proving we can be even a better men than we are trying to be is very important to us.

We as men are brought here for a greater purpose. I want to be enlightened with great knowledge from the freemasons. The Mystery also helps!!!

3)What is it that im looking for in freemasonry?

Very special people. You call them brothers!, and to become a better person. Besides the history, brotherhood, and teachings...I really do not know what else to expect. Non-masons will say there is power to gain, but if you had a good look inside my brain, you would see that is something that is not of any true interest of mine. Yeah its nice and all at first, but power is really just hard work to an honest person. We only use it when its necessary.

what im trying to say is...
I just want to let the freemasons know my true intentions, and how i feel in my heart and soul.

AngelicHuman

Forgive me for being so worried about being accepted into my local lodge.

All the MM's that vote...I was never good at making everyone impressed. There was always that one person in a group that had their suspicions, whether it be one of the students in my classroom, or one of my friends friend's. There is an old saying. "you can't make everyone happy" It only takes one vote to turn me down. Im really worried about that. If everyone truly knew the type of person I was inside, they should have no problems accepting me. What if its the littlest thing, like maybe the person will not like what im wearing at the time? LOL i know im being way too cynical, but i feel i must. This is a big step for me, and i dont want to screw it up

G

Gary

Forgive me for being so worried about being accepted into my local lodge.

All the MM's that vote...I was never good at making everyone impressed. There was always that one person in a group that had their suspicions, whether it be one of the students in my classroom, or one of my friends friend's. There is an old saying. "you can't make everyone happy" It only takes one vote to turn me down. Im really worried about that. If everyone truly knew the type of person I was inside, they should have no problems accepting me. What if its the littlest thing, like maybe the person will not like what im wearing at the time? LOL i know im being way too cynical, but i feel i must. This is a big step for me, and i dont want to screw it up
Don't worry about impressing them all. Just be yourself and you'll do fine. The Lodge as a whole will vote based on the results of the information obtained from the Brothers who interviewed / know you.

They will vote the way they feel is right. It's a nail biter for sure. We've all been there, but try not to sweat it. There is nothing that you can do about it. Besides, don't put the cart before the horse. Get to the Lodge and meet the members first!