How do we progress through the degrees?

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
From Dictionary.reference.com:
cat·e·chism /ˈkætɪˌkɪzəm/
–noun
1. Ecclesiastical .
a. an elementary book containing a summary of the principles of the Christian religion, esp. as maintained by a particular church, in the form of questions and answers.
b. the contents of such a book.
2. a similar book of instruction in other subjects.
3. a series of formal questions put, as to political candidates, to bring out their views.
4. catechetical instruction.

In most jurisdictions of the USA, we require a candidate to memorize a Masonic catechism, 'a summary of the principles...in the form of questions and answers,' before allowing them to progress to the next degree.

How are candidates progressed in other jurisdictions?
UGLE, GLs of Ireland and of Scotland, non-English speaking areas...for that matter, how do our Prince Hall Affiliate brethren do it?

How about, no "I've heard that..." stuff; just what you have direct knowledge of.

S&F

Bropreston

in ugle there is just the questions and answers leading to the next degree to learn, some lodges also have them repeat their previous obligations but that is just a tradition and not a "rule". Personally I`d like to see more education of candidates rather than rushing them through... S&F Bropreston

Bob Franks

in ugle there is just the questions and answers leading to the next degree to learn, some lodges also have them repeat their previous obligations but that is just a tradition and not a "rule". Personally I`d like to see more education of candidates rather than rushing them through... S&F Bropreston
I'm kinda mixed on 'rushing the candidates through.'
Yes, back in '77, I was rushed to catch up with 3 other brothers to be Raised with them. Digging to find my Degree dates, I find 21 days after my EA, I was Passed to FC, then 10 days later, I was Raised to MM.
Life, College, Work, Kids, Military intervened.

In 1995 I accepted my (3rd?) invitation to be appointed to an officer's chair, and served my Lodge as WM in 2002.
In 2006, I realized how embarrassing it was to ask for other lecturers to come and give our 1st and 3rd Degree Lectures, and resolved to learn them. [It was amazingly easier than I'd ever imagined]
This year, I Certified as a Lecturer and was appointed District Deputy Grand Lecturer by the incoming GM [MWB Lewis Ledford]

I do not think I would have comprehended the mysteries any better even if I took a year between degrees. My Masonic journey continues.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I'm kinda mixed on 'rushing the candidates through.'
Yes, back in '77, I was rushed to catch up with 3 other brothers to be Raised with them. Digging to find my Degree dates, I find 21 days after my EA, I was Passed to FC, then 10 days later, I was Raised to MM.
Life, College, Work, Kids, Military intervened.

In 1995 I accepted my (3rd?) invitation to be appointed to an officer's chair, and served my Lodge as WM in 2002.
In 2006, I realized how embarrassing it was to ask for other lecturers to come and give our 1st and 3rd Degree Lectures, and resolved to learn them. [It was amazingly easier than I'd ever imagined]
This year, I Certified as a Lecturer and was appointed District Deputy Grand Lecturer by the incoming GM [MWB Lewis Ledford]

I do not think I would have comprehended the mysteries any better even if I took a year between degrees. My Masonic journey continues.
Thanks, Bob. You see, everyone? It doesn't matter how long it takes to get your degrees. What matters is what's in your heart and mind and how you approach the craft! Oh, Bob: congrats on your appointment!

Bob Franks

Thanks, Bob. You see, everyone? It doesn't matter how long it takes to get your degrees. What matters is what's in your heart and mind and how you approach the craft! Oh, Bob: congrats on your appointment!
Thanks!
I wasn't worth a darn in floor work; once, as SD, I got lost in thought and pretty much got lost with the candidate!
Now, if I can just stand there and talk, I don't get lost. :)

'Course it took me almost 30 years to find where I needed to be...

S&F

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
From Dictionary.reference.com:
cat·e·chism /ˈkætɪˌkɪzəm/
–noun
1. Ecclesiastical .
a. an elementary book containing a summary of the principles of the Christian religion, esp. as maintained by a particular church, in the form of questions and answers.
b. the contents of such a book.
2. a similar book of instruction in other subjects.
3. a series of formal questions put, as to political candidates, to bring out their views.
4. catechetical instruction.

In most jurisdictions of the USA, we require a candidate to memorize a Masonic catechism, 'a summary of the principles...in the form of questions and answers,' before allowing them to progress to the next degree.

How are candidates progressed in other jurisdictions?
UGLE, GLs of Ireland and of Scotland, non-English speaking areas...for that matter, how do our Prince Hall Affiliate brethren do it?

How about, no "I've heard that..." stuff; just what you have direct knowledge of.

S&F
I really don't think I can answer this outside of a tyled lodge...

Bob Franks

I really don't think I can answer this outside of a tyled lodge...
I really think we could, as long as we keep in general terms.

I heard many years ago that in GB, Scotland, and Ireland, candidates were required to attend meetings (Lodges outside North America usually meet and conduct business on the EA Degree), research, and write papers. After presenting satisfactory papers in Lodge, they may advance.
I've just never heard it from one who has gone through that way.

How about those 'Scottish Rite derived' lodges I've heard about in Louisiana?

S&F

Winter

I've been here before
Bob,

This is the way my Lodge in WI works. We conduct all business on the EA degree and Apprentices are required to attend Lodge since they are voting members. EA's are also Encouraged (required?) to submit scholarly papers and present them before the Lodge. We have no rush to get a man his MM because of how we work. It allows us to slow the process down and take the time at each degree to make sure the candidate gets the most out of it.

Sorry, but there is absolutely no possible way a person can digest and contemplate the middle chamber lecture in ten days and be duly and truely prepared for their MM.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
We have been trying to get legislation passed that would allow our lodges in Ky to open and conduct business on any degree the Master wishes , but some of the old timers got it in their head that all business is "supposed" to be conducted in the Master Mason degree . I have presented history/evidence , one night a 30 minute educational paper on it , till I am blue in the face that this is not the case but they will not have any of it .

Bob Franks

Bob,

This is the way my Lodge in WI works. We conduct all business on the EA degree and Apprentices are required to attend Lodge since they are voting members. EA's are also Encouraged (required?) to submit scholarly papers and present them before the Lodge. We have no rush to get a man his MM because of how we work. It allows us to slow the process down and take the time at each degree to make sure the candidate gets the most out of it.

Sorry, but there is absolutely no possible way a person can digest and contemplate the middle chamber lecture in ten days and be duly and truely prepared for their MM.
I fully agree that my 10 days learning the FC catechism was insufficient. I had no idea what the degree was about, until years later. It had been just a stepping stone for me.

S&F

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I was always told that it is the WM's decision as to what degree to work in. Traditionally all business is conducted in MM, but I don't believe there is anything that states it has to be conducted in it. It might just be that is how its been done, and how it continues to be done.

Bob Franks

We have been trying to get legislation passed that would allow our lodges in Ky to open and conduct business on any degree the Master wishes , but some of the old timers got it in their head that all business is "supposed" to be conducted in the Master Mason degree . I have presented history/evidence , one night a 30 minute educational paper on it , till I am blue in the face that this is not the case but they will not have any of it .
That sounds like a capital idea!
EA Charge (plain written language in NC): "Your frequent appearance at our regular meetings is earnestly solicited..."

Q: How many Masons does it take to change a light bulb?
A: CHANGE??? You want to CHANGE something??

S&F

Bropreston

in my lodge we always do our business in the 1st degree and only move up if we are going to work something from that degree. eg if we had a 3rd degree to work we would.. Open the lodge
Confirm minutes etc
Invite EAs to retire and open in FC
Invite FCs to retire and open in MM
Work MM degree
Close in MM, admit FCs
Close in FC, admit EAs
before closing we would then do all the risings, propositions, motions etc......
S&F Bropreston
ps much of the catichisms have been removed from our ritual and are delivered on occasion as part of lectures in lodge

Here in New Zealand we do most of our work in the EA degree, but there are a few exceptions.

Obviously when doing degree work above the EA it would change to whatever Degree is being given. We also move into MM for most of our Installation Ceremony and also move up to MM when we are receiving Grand Lodge on an official visit.

In terms of the requirements for advancing in the degrees there are a set of Test Questions one must answer about their current degree in order to advance to the next and once you are raised to MM you must prove your proficiency in the MM before you are given your MM certificate and therefore, before you may visit on your own.

Traditionally here in NZ it will take between 9-12 months before you are raised. For example I was Initiated in November 2009 and I was Raised in November 2010.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Good luck on that, Ash. We've tried that more than once in Wisconsin, too, and it keeps getting shot down at Grand Lodge. I've read varying explanations of why we do business on the 3rd here in the USA and find all the explanations lacking. We've just got to keep on pushing and maybe someday ...

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Bob,

Man, I have just got to get to Mad City to see your Lodge work.