Is Freemasonry a Religion?

Lax67

Brethren,
In recent discussions with non-masons I’ve heard the accusation that Masonry is a religion. I’m sure you’ve all heard that before! However, I’m struggling with how to respond to that accusation. Even if I follow our charge and do not suffer my zeal for the institution…, the question still persists, is Freemasonry a religion? I think it’s worth discussing further because I don’t know about anyone else, but I have never been happy with the answers given by anyone so far.

Ultimately my goal is to be able to answer some of these more relevant and serious accusations with well-reasoned logic. Maybe there isn’t an answer, but I don’t think we should let this issue off the hook quite that easily. The following is my attempt to answer this question. If I’m way off base and playing in the wrong ball park, I kindly ask that you point me in the right direction in a logical manner.

But first, I think the word religion needs to be defined. Unfortunately, that is not easy to do. People much more learned than me in this area have failed to reach consensus on how to define religion. It has been lamented that attempts to define religion have either been too vague, thereby including groups or organizations that truly aren’t religions, or are too narrow and end up excluding groups or organizations that are in fact a religion.

Initially, I turned to my pastor and asked him to define religion for me. He was not willing to do so himself, however, he did say that he liked the definition provided on Wikipedia which begins as, “religion is a collection of cultural systems, belief systems, and worldviews that establishes symbols that relate humanity to spirituality and moral values” Religion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Additionally, the following definition (see under “a better definition is:”) has been provided on about.com What is Religion? Defining Religion: The Problem of Definition This attempt seems to give a little more direction and detail as to how one can define something as being a religion or not. That article goes on to say that its definition avoids the problem of being either too vague or too narrow in its scope and instead identifies “basic characteristics common to religions.” I think we should start with and use this definition.

Question: Is Freemasonry a religion?
Answer: Yes or No

For the purpose of this post I would like to frame the discussion by using the characteristics listed in the definition on the about.com website. The defining characteristics are as follows:
1. Belief in something sacred (this could be a super natural being or a god)
2. Distinction between sacred and profane objects
3. Ritual acts focused on sacred objects
4. Moral code believed to be sanctified by gods
5. Characteristically religious feelings, i.e., (awe, sense of mystery, sense of guilt, adoration) which tend to be aroused in the presence of sacred objects and during the practice of ritual and which are connected in idea with gods
6. Prayer and other forms of communication with gods
7. A worldview and the place of the individual therein. Purpose or point of the world and how a person fits into it.
8. Total organization of one’s life based on the worldview
9. A social group bound together by the above

So if we try to answer the question using these characteristics here are the answers I came up with:
1. Yes. The GAOTU is sacred and Masons believe in it. Note, it does not say belief in a defined god, it simply asks ‘belief in something sacred’
2. Yes. From my jurisdiction’s ritual we are taught that the following things are sacred: the altar, the letter “G”, the ties [of brotherly love] and the “band or society” we belong to.
3. Yes. Obligations at the sacred altar, prayer in the FC below the G
4. Yes. “purity of life and conduct essentially necessary…” This pure conduct is achieved by following a masonic moral code. Furthermore, there is sanctification language describing the pot of incense.
5. Yes. The letter G illuminated during meetings and the TGL
6. Yes. Prayers invoking the blessing of deity and obligations.
7. Yes. The three charges.
8. Yes. Again, the three charges and the notion of behaving “masonically” or “unmasonically” as defined, presumably, by each jurisdictions code. However, I’d be willing to reject the notion of masonic behavior being part of a “worldview” by likening it to a policy handbook on employee conduct issued by employers, for example.
9. Most definitely.

So, brothers, I have an honest and genuine interest in trying to answer this question. Did I logically think through the questions before providing my answer to each question? If not, then how so?

Also, I recognize that many jurisdictions are represented on this forum, so if need be I can clarify my ritual citations in an appropriate format.

I ask that we stay on topic and if you have some objective input, please share in a constructive manner!

Lastly, I did not study divinity or religious studies. I am a layman when it comes to this stuff. So therefore, much like a novice mechanic trying to fix his car and turning to a forum for answers, I am attempting to answer this question myself and turning to you, my brothers for help. Naturally, as a newly raised Mason of 7 months I am approaching Freemasonry with a fresh outlook and curiosities, I apologize if this is old hat for some of you, but at the very least I am honestly and genuinely trying to answer some of these more difficult questions surrounding our craft. I look forward to your input.

Winter

I've been here before
Freemasonry is not a religion.

Proof:

1. Freemasonry offers no path to salvation. i.e. Freemasonry does not tell it's adherents that they can get to heaven by being a member.

2. Freemasonry has no dogmatic faith. i.e. Freemasonry has no particular ideology or definition of the divine. Rather accepting men from all monotheistic faiths.

ergo, Freemasonry is not a religion. It really is that simple.

edit: I do have a degree in religion. And anthropology. :)

Lax67

Brother Winter,

Are you saying that the definition of religion consists of, 1) whether it provides a path to salvation, and 2.) must have dogmatic faith?

Do you therefore reject the definition of religion provided in the original post and substitute it with yours above?

Also, since you brought up salvation it must be asked then how is "purity of life and conduct which is essentially necessary to gaining admission into the celestial lodge above, where the Supreme Architectect of the Universe presides" not a path to salvation?

Winter

I've been here before
First off, I wouldn't base an argument on a Wikipedia definition. LOL You have to remember that the definition of religion is not a static thing that is easily defined. Even during my time at university I saw the anthropological definition of religion change. So many of the definitions of religion have been made so vague in an effort to be all encompassing that they end up saying nothing.

Most all religions to some degree have at their core a worldview or definition of an otherworldliness as it relates to the physical world combined with a means for one to transcend from this world to the other, or even just a different state of being in this world, either through belief or practice. While it may be oversimplifying it for some, all religions have what Freemasonry does not. A specific theistic dogma and a means for a person to get to the "Other".

As for the purity of conduct that every Mason is admonished to adhere to in order to arrive at the Celestial Lodge, at no point does Freemasonry say that "all you need to do is be a good Mason, you get to go to Heaven." Conversely, a candidate is often admonished to be active in the faith they profess since Freemasonry itself is not a religion or a substitute for one.

With this adamant declaration on our part that we are most definitely not a religion, or a substitute, it makes it rather difficult to claim that we are.

Lax67

Thank you for your response, Winter. It's nice to look at this issue within a new context.

I agree, turning to Wiki or about.com for a definition is tricky. I did try to qualify that though and set the framework for discussion based on what was found at those sites. I do see your point regarding a theistic dogma being the prevailing characteristic of a religion.

I'm struggling with your salvation argument though. The ritual basically says good works = admission to heaven. If we break down the words 'essentially' and 'necessary' ritual tells us that our conduct is of utmost importance (essential) and unavoidably required (necessary) for gaining admission to heaven (celestial lodge) all of which is preceded by "conduct" being defined as 'pure'. A Mason may choose to adhere to that admonishment and reach the "other", or he may choose not to, but in any event the 'path to salvation' is provided. Granted, this might be more of an issue for a Lutheran Mason, but it's relevant and worth clarifying in any instance.

Winter

I've been here before
Freemasonry is wholeheartedly relgious in it's nature and character but not a religion. As such, the purity of character and moral uprightness is an essential aspect of our Masonic ideals.

But as I mentioned, and is always told to candidates and aspirants, Masonry will not get you to heaven. A Brother must find that path in his own system of faith. Masonry will complement that, but it will not replace it.

Reading that one line alone in the ritual without the context, or the explanations given elsewhere in the ritual and preparation of the candidate, is a tactic used against us by our detractors in an effort to claim that Freemasonry is a religion regardless of what we say.

Freemasonry is not a religion.

Proof:

1. Freemasonry offers no path to salvation. i.e. Freemasonry does not tell it's adherents that they can get to heaven by being a member.

2. Freemasonry has no dogmatic faith. i.e. Freemasonry has no particular ideology or definition of the divine. Rather accepting men from all monotheistic faiths.

ergo, Freemasonry is not a religion. It really is that simple.

edit: I do have a degree in religion. And anthropology. :)
And he spent the night in a Holiday Inn:eek::D...... not to mention he's a pretty smart feller too....:p

Lax67

The ritual does not say purity of character and moral uprightness is an essential aspect of masonic ideals. Restating it that way makes it sound nothing like salvation and more like a moral standard. Which, ironically, if that were the case it would end the debate on this issue immediately.

It states that purity of conduct is essentially necessary to admission to heaven. For additional context, let’s not overlook the fact that that line in ritual is connected to wearing an apron, which we all must do to even sit in a lodge; it’s a constant and continual reminder of what we need to do to get into heaven.

Christianity tells us that faith in Jesus Christ as lord and savior results in salvation. Lutherans further state that faith alone results in salvation. Islam tells us that submission to Allah results in salvation. Freemasonry tells us that pure conduct is essentially necessary to gaining admission to heaven. Without that life of pure conduct we, as Masons, have not done what is essentially necessary to get into heaven.

The admonishment to find a path to salvation through the religion of my own choosing is in the posting key, not the ritual. Not all jurisdictions have posting keys, and not all jurisdictions with posting keys have that additional language to put that line of ritual into any context. How can it be ensured that that “context” is always given when those two statements are found in two separate documents, it’s really left up in the air as to who will explain that to a candidate or an aspirant.

Winter

I've been here before
Are you trying to argue that Freemasonry is a religion, even though we most certainly are not? Because it seems so. It seems like you already believe that it is and you want someone to agree with you. I have laid out the reasons that we are not a religion. If those answers do not satisfy you, I would recommend you speak with your WM on the matter since you are a new Mason and may have some misconceptions about our Order. It is my sincere hope that you do not portray us a s a religion to the uninitiated.

And in all of those religions you quoted, faith alone does not grant you access to heaven. Specific acts are required.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Religion is a Map, often times with little to no legend that helps guide the travelers using it.

Freemasonry provides direction that helps decode the legends of a chosen Religion.

Just because it helps clarify directions, doesn't mean it's the map.

Lax67

Winter, you’re taking this discussion in an unwarranted and unreasonable direction. I understand if you don’t agree with my comments, but that doesn’t give you license to make incorrect assumptions about my intentions or conjecture as to how I’ll portray Freemasonry.

Let me quote something you said just today on a different thread, “…instead many new Masons are left to scrabble in the dust for what they can find since a majority of Brothers do not continue their own education in the Craft”

So true. I cannot find a single source of Masonic-based information that tackles the issue of salvation logically and directly. Know of one? Let me know please. Otherwise, I ask questions and I’ll keep asking them until I’m satisfied with the answer. I’m sorry if that threatens you. It’s important to me, as a Mason, to answer this question.

As far as punting to my Worshipful Master, which one? You are the WM that conferred my EA degree. Or are you suggesting I speak to someone at my current lodge? I’ve already taken that step and contacted Bro. Mick.

So let me clarify my intention. Last week I posed a different, but somewhat similar question on a different website, got some feedback and decided to broaden the question and bring it to a Masons-only forum. I posted a question about whether or not Freemasonry is a religion. You pointed out that because Freemasonry lacks a theistic dogma, it most certainly is not a religion. I agree with that statement. I cannot think of a Masonic dogma or doctrine, which by definition if rejected by an adherent would affect that person’s ability to participate in that particular organization. For example, one dogma of Christianity is the Nicene Creed, if I don’t accept the Nicene Creed I cannot be a Christian. Since nothing of that nature is paralleled in Masonry I think the statement that no dogma exists in Freemasonry is true. That is why I thanked you for offering a different context to view that issue through.

You also brought up a second point that was not in my original post, that being the issue of salvation, which is what this discussion has focused on since then. So to answer your question, no I am not arguing that Freemasonry is a religion; I’m satisfied with the answer given. But I am pressing the issue of salvation for a better answer.

Coach - is this another example of baking cookies and making a mess? :)

Lax67

If not the body, if not the mind, then it would then be salvation of the soul.

Good point, so how does one reach a level of understanding of what it actually takes? Practice, perhaps? :)

CoachN

Builder Builder
If not the body, if not the mind, then it would then be salvation of the soul.

Good point, ...
But, the mind and soul are the same thing.

And, just so no assumptions are being covertly made, how do you define "salvation" and what is salvation doing?

G

Gary

You have me a little perplexed. You asked the question, you got an answer, and seemed to disagree with the answer you received because of the definition that Bro. Winter provided to you. Then you agreed with him after a little bit of what appeared to be defensive posturing?

I don't see that Winter presumed anything. He made pre-cautionary statements to an argument that appeared to be misleading. Keep in mind many of our responses aren't always directed solely to another Mason, but also to the uninitiated who read these threads as well.

Pardon me for being a bit blunt (I know it is a bit out of character for me)..... but the simple answer is NO...Masonry is not a religion...period...nothing more to discuss or debate....does it have religious overtones...sure and to some these tones are more prevalent...( WB Winter said this also I do believe) but in the end, there really is nothing to discuss on the topic of is masonry a religion or not....... its not a negotiation to find a happy medium....If Lax67 truly does understand masonry, he will see the difference in the two...... if he doesnt, maybe he should take a step away from the craft and re-evaluate his understanding of masonry....

As a very religious man, I know (this is my semi humble opinion here) masonry will not be my salvation..... that comes in a different way but for the sake of discussion I wont venture down that path......masonry has however hasnt been a hindrance either.....

Sooooooo.... Lax....Masonry is NOT a religion.....regardless how you want to twist it, the answer is ALWAYS gonna be NO, NOPE, NADA

G

Gary

Pardon me for being a bit blunt (I know it is a bit out of character for me)..... but the simple answer is NO...Masonry is not a religion...period...nothing more to discuss or debate....does it have religious overtones...sure and to some these tones are more prevalent...( WB Winter said this also I do believe) but in the end, there really is nothing to discuss on the topic of is masonry a religion or not....... its not a negotiation to find a happy medium....If Lax67 truly does understand masonry, he will see the difference in the two...... if he doesnt, maybe he should take a step away from the craft and re-evaluate his understanding of masonry....

As a very religious man, I know (this is my semi humble opinion here) masonry will not be my salvation..... that comes in a different way but for the sake of discussion I wont venture down that path......masonry has however hasnt been a hindrance either.....

Sooooooo.... Lax....Masonry is NOT a religion.....regardless how you want to twist it, the answer is ALWAYS gonna be NO, NOPE, NADA
My comment was to ask for clarification. Was he asking because he wanted to debate? Like you often do? or was he asking because he believed Freemasonry to be a religion?

I don't think he needs to step away from anything if his position was the former and not the latter. Of course, I'm not arguing. I just wanted clarification as this discussion seemed a little unclear in the direction he was going.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Lax67 wants to defend FM. He was merely asking for support in doing so, that's all. or at least, that is what I understood.

I was referring to the question of is masonry a religion.....

Besides....I have the market cornered on the questioning for the sake of debate....JK....I dont mind discussing religions connection to masonry but I just wanted to get my not-so semi humble thoughts on the table as to if masonry is a religion....

Lax67 wants to defend FM. He was merely asking for support in doing so, that's all. or at least, that is what I understood.
If that is the case, then my reply still works.... if he is struggling in his own travels then maybe he does need to step away (not quit) and figure some things out...