Is Freemasonry a Religion?

No, religions segregate people into two groups: those who are in and those who are out. The in(side) group are those that follow the edicts of that religion those who don't are out(side).
Freemasonry states a belief in a singular Deity and excludes no one other than atheists and polytheists.
Just incase a profane is reading.....this comment is not totally inclusive...there are a few more things that can exclude a man from masonry....This entire comment is in relation to religion and deity....

CoachN

Builder Builder
I'm not quite sure what you meant by covert assumptions, but you are also asking how I define salvation and what salvation is doing, so I'll address those two questions.
covert - hidden, masked, not direct, unstated.
Since the posting key says that my path to salvation is left to my own choice, I would say that salvation is deliverance. Deliverance from consequences. For me, as a Lutheran, it is deliverance from sin. The path is through faith alone in Jesus Christ.

What is it doing? Well, I’ll pull from Winter’s post on page 1 of this thread, “…it relates to the physical world combined with a means for one to transcend from this world to the other.” Now to be fair to Winter he went on to say that Freemasonry does not have a means for a person to get to the other. But that’s where I disagree with him.

Why do I disagree with that, well as I stated above the ritual states that purity of conduct is essentially necessary to gaining admission to heaven.

Deliverance (gaining admission/transcendance) from this world to the other (celestial lodge/heaven) is a consequence of pure conduct.

Alright, coach, that’s my last batch of cookies. Since you enjoy sharing light that you have learned, by all means, share away.
Thanks Brother.

I have a take on this this is not mainstream. I believe we already exist in heaven but few can see, hear, feel, taste and smell it. I believe I existed in heaven before this body o' mine manifested in this form and I'll continue to exist in heaven long after this body transforms into worm food.

I believe spiritual awakenings bring about my view and experiences of Heaven. When I hear, "gaining admission," it implies waiting till death of the body. It precludes the possibility of consciously experiencing Heaven in the "here and now" something I experience all the time.

Salvation is "peace of mind." Salvation is also an act of salvaging what's valuable -- it is the most valuable part of a human that is saved when one realizes "who and what" one actually is. Jesus was/is interested in "peace of mind" for all of humanity. He focused upon this during his time as the person we collectively call "Jesus." He taught his students this and how to manifest it for themselves and others. It's most unfortunate that people suffer unnecessarily and most is self inflicted by the way they think about life/death/heaven/hell. Jesus made effort to relieve this suffering by providing them "peace of mind."
...But then FM tells me that gaining admission to heaven isn't accomplished by my choice in path to salvation but rather by purity of conduct. In fact, it states that it is “essentially necessary”
Yes - necessary. Purity of conduct triggers "peace of mind." It also triggers "clarity of mind" that helps reveal the reality of Heaven...

Lax67

"None of us is as smart as all of us" Eric Schmidt

"If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us" Adlai Stevenson

"Convinced myself, I seek not to convince" Edgar Allan Poe

And lastly:
"Whatever may be the limitations which trammel inquiry elsewhere...encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found." Theodore Herfurth

Thank you to the brothers who helped me understand this issue.

Nothing wrong is asking.... there is no rule that says we have to agree....just accept that what one believes is exactly that...their belief....

The only dumb questions are the ones that go unasked.....

I maintain my membership in this forum because of the discussions...if we all just read and didnt partake, this would be nothing more than a forum on cooking bacon in various ways........keeping quiet on varied topic is not sharing your light...... I say open up and share your knowledge or thoughts.....you never know, you may be GREATLY helpful to someone...

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
While reading this thread, it occurred to me that entrance to the Celestial Lodge was being equated with salvation. I don't think that's necessarily the case. What I believe ritual is teaching us with this allusion is that if we achieve salvation through our religious beliefs and practices outside of Masonry, because we are Masons, we will also have the comfort of our Fraternity as a part of that salvation.

In other words just as there's a lodge in my town, there's a Celestial Lodge in heaven. I don't expect my entire life to be spent in the lodge building in Lowell, MA while I'm alive. I don't expect my entire afterlife to be spent in the Celestial Lodge either. It does give me something to look forward to in addition to the joy and awe of being in the presence of the GAOTU for eternity.

I wonder what the Festive Board is like?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I would post more on the "deeper" subjects , but I learn more with a closed mouth and an open mind . I will see a question posed that I can answer or add my 2 cents but find , most of the time , my thoughts have already been expressed by someone else (only worded better) and I see no need to add the same exact thoughts .

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
While reading this thread, it occurred to me that entrance to the Celestial Lodge was being equated with salvation. I don't think that's necessarily the case. What I believe ritual is teaching us with this allusion is that if we achieve salvation through our religious beliefs and practices outside of Masonry, because we are Masons, we will also have the comfort of our Fraternity as a part of that salvation.

In other words just as there's a lodge in my town, there's a Celestial Lodge in heaven. I don't expect my entire life to be spent in the lodge building in Lowell, MA while I'm alive. I don't expect my entire afterlife to be spent in the Celestial Lodge either. It does give me something to look forward to in addition to the joy and awe of being in the presence of the GAOTU for eternity.

I wonder what the Festive Board is like?[/QUOTE]

Delicious... VIVAT VIVAT VIVAT! and then... Long life... hmmmm