Masonic affiliations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
We do have Freemasons who are not recognized by our various GLs.
As I recall we have WM in Europe who was looking for Masonic gloves to fit her hands whilst on a trip to the USA.
This is true . And unlike many other forums who would have pounced on her , she was treated with respect here and I could have not been more proud of FMH members .

We may not agree with the practices of unrecognized bodies , but we need not attack them neither .

J

Joyrock

I'm a member of a lodge and Masonic community that is "unrecognized" by the mainstream in the USA. Frankly, we don't mind. Those rules are in place to restrict their membership, not us. Just as no one body speaks for Freemasonry nor do any claim sole dominion.

As a free citizen of the USA I have a right to free assembly. As a Patroit, I exercise my right whenever possible. This doesn't mean I have an adversarial relationship with those of a differing flavor of Freemasonry or point of view. It just means I'm happy where I'm at.

J

Joyrock

Should the WS in Florida have a rally where PHA are in attendance I would happily go since I am not, at this time, a Florida Mason. My Lodge membership is in Wisconsin which happily enjoys fraternal relations with PHA. But I I know what you meant. ;)

This is something I have already been seeking guidance on. As a Wisc. Mason I recognize PHA. But what happens should I seek dual membership in a Florida Lodge that does not? Must I cease my relations with PHA Brothers? It places me in an awkward position and the outcome of my inquiries will likely determine whether I seek plural membership in a FL Lodge or not.
Actually you're wrong here on a couple of points.

Under the custom of mainstream (and PHA) Freemasonry when a Mason travels he is then under the jurisdiction of the GL of where he has traveled to, NOT his home jurisdiction. If you travel to Florida since the GL of Florida does not recognize PHA neither to you. Should you decide to visit a PHA lodge in Florida and the GL of FL found out they would inform the GL of WI and you would be brought up on Masonic charges and possibly expelled.

Also, mainstream lodges that do recognized PHA only recognize it where it's mainstream counterpart does the same. That means since the GL of FL does not in any way recognize MWGL PHA GL of FL neither does the GL of WI nor any other mainstream GL (including the UGLE.)

That's the way it works.

J

Joyrock

This is true . And unlike many other forums who would have pounced on her , she was treated with respect here and I could have not been more proud of FMH members .

We may not agree with the practices of unrecognized bodies , but we need not attack them neither .

Bravo. Really good to read. :D

DavisB

Actually you're wrong here on a couple of points.

Under the custom of mainstream (and PHA) Freemasonry when a Mason travels he is then under the jurisdiction of the GL of where he has traveled to, NOT his home jurisdiction. If you travel to Florida since the GL of Florida does not recognize PHA neither to you. Should you decide to visit a PHA lodge in Florida and the GL of FL found out they would inform the GL of WI and you would be brought up on Masonic charges and possibly expelled.

Also, mainstream lodges that do recognized PHA only recognize it where it's mainstream counterpart does the same. That means since the GL of FL does not in any way recognize MWGL PHA GL of FL neither does the GL of WI nor any other mainstream GL (including the UGLE.)

That's the way it works.
I know that, at least in Tennessee, that is not the way it works. As a member of the Grand Lodge of Tennessee, I am subject to their rules wherever I am. Your suggestions do not hold up. If I were to go to WI, where PHA is recognized, I could not visit a PHA lodge. I am only subject to the rules of the GL that I am a member of. Otherwise, if what you said was true, it would make for a sticky situation when I travel to France. There are many Grand Lodges in France, most of which my Grand Lodge does not recognize. If what you said was true, I would simultaneously be under the jurisdiction of every GL in France and therefore be breaking rules no matter what I did.

Additionally, from what your Lodge website says I can see that you are not a member of a regular and recognized GL. But, if what you said in the above statement was true, you are currently under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Illinois. Therefore, by being a member in your "lodge" you are breaking their rules.

I would suggest that in the future you refrain from speaking for a system of Freemasonry that you claim to have no affiliation with, and apparently know little about.

J

Joyrock

I know that, at least in Tennessee, that is not the way it works. As a member of the Grand Lodge of Tennessee, I am subject to their rules wherever I am. Your suggestions do not hold up. If I were to go to WI, where PHA is recognized, I could not visit a PHA lodge. I am only subject to the rules of the GL that I am a member of. Otherwise, if what you said was true, it would make for a sticky situation when I travel to France. There are many Grand Lodges in France, most of which my Grand Lodge does not recognize. If what you said was true, I would simultaneously be under the jurisdiction of every GL in France and therefore be breaking rules no matter what I did.

Additionally, from what your Lodge website says I can see that you are not a member of a regular and recognized GL. But, if what you said in the above statement was true, you are currently under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Illinois. Therefore, by being a member in your "lodge" you are breaking their rules.

I would suggest that in the future you refrain from speaking for a system of Freemasonry that you claim to have no affiliation with, and apparently know little about.

You might want to reread my post.

The way the mainstream works yes, if your home GL does not recognize PHA than you do not anywhere. If your home GL does but you are visiting a state where that states GL does not then you also, do not. There have been more than a few cases where traveling Masons have gotten caught up and found themselves on charges they didn't see coming.

As for my lodge don't begin to tell me about it. You're not a member so I'm not interested in your ignorant assumptions.

SMIB

You might want to reread my post.

The way the mainstream works yes, if your home GL does not recognize PHA than you do not anywhere. If your home GL does but you are visiting a state where that states GL does not then you also, do not. There have been more than a few cases where traveling Masons have gotten caught up and found themselves on charges they didn't see coming.

As for my lodge don't begin to tell me about it. You're not a member so I'm not interested in your ignorant assumptions.

SMIB
Keep it civil or you may find your travels here very short lived....you are a stranger in a strange land here. To us, whether you like it or not, are clandestine but we have not issues as long as you do not try disperse any info ... the conversations with you will remain the same as any other profane.... cordial ....please do the same.

J

Joyrock

Keep it civil or you may find your travels here very short lived....you are a stranger in a strange land here. To us, whether you like it or not, are clandestine but we have not issues as long as you do not try disperse any info ... the conversations with you will remain the same as any other profane.... cordial ....please do the same.

I'll suggest you follow your own advice.

J

Joyrock

Fireman gave you sound advice. Please take it as such, and not as a personal jab at you.

He can also follow his own sage wisdom.

I won't tolerate my lodge being insulted just as neither of you would. Common sense and common courtesy.

G

Gary

He can also follow his own sage wisdom.

I won't tolerate my lodge being insulted just as neither of you would. Common sense and common courtesy.
I don't see where he insulted your lodge in his post. He was pointing out what you stated in your last sentence. Common sense is not so common.

When you venture into a place that has Masons who are members of regular Lodges, it is all too easy to cause discord when you are not a member of a recognized Jurisdiction.

We have no problem discussing non-masonic topics with you. It's when the conversation shifts that's when we all experience difficulties.

We have PHA, regular, and irregular members of this forum. That said, we don't normally experience problems like this.

J

Joyrock

I don't see where he insulted your lodge in his post. He was pointing out what you stated in your last sentence. Common sense is not so common.

When you venture into a place that has Masons who are members of regular Lodges, it is all too easy to cause discord when you are not a member of a recognized Jurisdiction.

We have no problem discussing non-masonic topics with you. It's when the conversation shifts that's when we all experience difficulties.

We have PHA, regular, and irregular members of this forum. That said, we don't normally experience problems like this.

I originally responded to a post that was insulting to my lodge. Then I got a lecture.

Regular and recognized are not synonymous.

If there are problems being experienced it's because some feel that they need to be insulting to others who do not fit within their mold. If this place is for mainstream only Masons please state so in the forum TOS. If it is a place where Masons are welcome regardless of jurisdiction I expect the same treatment as everyone else.

G

Gary

I originally responded to a post that was insulting to my lodge. Then I got a lecture.

Regular and recognized are not synonymous.

If there are problems being experienced it's because some feel that they need to be insulting to others who do not fit within their mold. If this place is for mainstream only Masons please state so in the forum TOS. If it is a place where Masons are welcome regardless of jurisdiction I expect the same treatment as everyone else.
This forum is an open forum. that means that it matters not if you are a Freemason or otherwise. What we do expect is that you (or anyone else) not cause disharmony among our members. In turn you can expect the same from everyone else.

You were met by defensive posturing the second you challenged a discussion that you probably were best to leave alone. Simply because of the differences in your jurisdiction and those holding the discussion. That would imply the use of common sense and courtesy.

G

Gary

All of our members need to remember this. If a topic is being discussed that you think will possibly head in the wrong direction, don't participate. There is no need to have online flame wars.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
*releases trigger on flamethrower* NOW YOU TELL ME! How am I going to explain this to my wife???

The topic itself seemed aimed at regular/ recognized FM's.

J

Joyrock

If certain topics are restricted to a certain class of forum member you guys should make that clear under the forum TOS.

In general, come at someone in a hostile manner expect a reaction. The law of cause and effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.