My brothers on FMH

G

Gary

BUT...if the "ruffians" are not there to hold back the young bucks.....just imagine what could be done.........lets say you felt the dues needed to be increased...and all the young MM's did too and they were the majority in attendance when the vote takes place....that is how you effect change in a positive way.....those old buzzards wont be happy, and yep you just may loose a few...but for the most part they will pay the increase...but wont like it.....but then again, if they showed up more often they could be a part of it. You start making some changes with Johnny Newboots and your crew....the flock will start to return...

But then what do I know..... in terms of being an experience, seasoned, or knowledgeable Brother.....I am still a pup...
The problem like Zack pointed out, is that many are already getting what they want (which is NOT Freemasonry). Unfortunately, those "old buzzards" as you put it are in positions of higher office and are deeply involved in cronyism. It's a hard nut to crack, but it can be done.

That is one way of increasing attendance....vote on raising dues. LOL.
You know that legislation never passes...LOL ;)

YEP....tell them you are gonna bring it up at every meeting:eek::eek:..... LOL
The buzzards won't allow that. I choose to go about it a different way. You see, I get to stand in Lodge every meeting, and bend their ear for as long as I want. They elected me to do Masonic Education, so that is exactly what I'm giving them.

As a newer Mason myself, I have the distinct displeasure of seeing first hand what needs to be changed. I'm just fortunate enough that I get to school them about it. If they don't like the education I provide, they can always select someone else to do it. Oh wait, no one else wants to do it....:D

Zack

Changing a lodge's direction is going to take time and a lot of patience. It would certainly help if there was an influx of like minded Brothers at one time to tip the balance more quickly but I don't see that happening.

Speaking of balance, Bro Gary's theme, I sometimes think that, at least in my little area of the world, we have passed the tipping point and FM's slide is irreversible. Just MO.

As Bro. Gary and I have discussed, maybe a whole new lodge based on TO or at least EC
might be the way to go. There would be many, many obstacles to overcome and it would take a concerted effort and "politics"(I hate that word) would play a major, major part.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Changing a lodge's direction is going to take time and a lot of patience. It would certainly help if there was an influx of like minded Brothers at one time to tip the balance more quickly but I don't see that happening.

Speaking of balance, Bro Gary's theme, I sometimes think that, at least in my little area of the world, we have passed the tipping point and FM's slide is irreversible. Just MO.

As Bro. Gary and I have discussed, maybe a whole new lodge based on TO or at least EC
might be the way to go. There would be many, many obstacles to overcome and it would take a concerted effort and "politics"(I hate that word) would play a major, major part.
I know TO, Traditional Observation, but what's EC?

Winter

I've been here before
EC is European Concept. EC Lodges are very similar to TO Lodges with some differences.

TO Lodges are all part of the MRF while EC Lodges are'nt joined to each other in any way.

TO Lodges start with the American Ritual (whatever form your jurisdiction works) and use that as a base and add the traditional elements, an EC Lodge starts with the English Lodge model (usually Emulation Rite) and goes from there.

For a short primer on the differences, I reccomend here:
Masonic Restoration Foundation

Zack

European Concept. It is my understanding that it is TO without some of the bells and whistles.

G

Gary

As Bro. Gary and I have discussed, maybe a whole new lodge based on TO or at least EC might be the way to go. There would be many, many obstacles to overcome and it would take a concerted effort and "politics"(I hate that word) would play a major, major part.

Being the optimist, I say isn't over until the fat lady sings. Grass roots is where it begins. Until we identify what those obstacles are, we have little chance of moving forward. My simple strategy is to get people thinking on the Lodge level.

CoachN

Builder Builder
The problem like Zack pointed out, is that many are already getting what they want (which is NOT Freemasonry).
But Brother, it is Freemasonry. Freemasonry allows for exactly what they are getting.

And what they are getting is not Masonry.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
But Brother, it is Freemasonry. Freemasonry allows for exactly what they are getting.

And what they are getting is not Masonry.
Oh, wait, so what they are getting is the Freemasonry they sought but not the actual Masonry that it teaches? Oh I feel an education talk brewing. :D

G

Gary

Oh, wait, so what they are getting is the Freemasonry they sought but not the actual Masonry that it teaches? Oh I feel an education talk brewing. :D
That's exactly what Coach meant. I intentionally worded my previous statement incorrectly to avoid potential conflict. He was kind enough to point out my error. :eek:

CoachN

Builder Builder
Oh, wait, so what they are getting is the Freemasonry they sought but not the actual Masonry that it teaches? ...
Yup! Freemasonry has little to no Masonic Quality Control.

Freemasonry has Freemason Quality Control and it is usually what most adhere to and abid by without waver.

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
Then it's time to change the thought process of those who petition the fraternity. Newer MM's are in a perfect position to do just that if they have the support of seasoned MM's who aren't <cough> ruffians. Yeah, I said it.
Can do, and are doing.

My Lodge is taking a 20# sledge to the "always done this way" wall. Our WM (happens to be my dad, but that's not relevant) has been lighting it up- fellowship nights are now biweekly where they were at most once or twice a year, and attendance has gone steadily up.

When I joined in '07, we had a fairly lacking WM. Guy loved the office, not the work involved, and it showed. Lots of nights of meet, read minutes, pay bills, leave. No wonder attendance of 12 was considered excellent.

Now? Try 25. 30 for fellowship last night, 40 for the MM last week, things are turning for the better. :)

G

Gary

Can do, and are doing.

My Lodge is taking a 20# sledge to the "always done this way" wall. Our WM (happens to be my dad, but that's not relevant) has been lighting it up- fellowship nights are now biweekly where they were at most once or twice a year, and attendance has gone steadily up.

When I joined in '07, we had a fairly lacking WM. Guy loved the office, not the work involved, and it showed. Lots of nights of meet, read minutes, pay bills, leave. No wonder attendance of 12 was considered excellent.

Now? Try 25. 30 for fellowship last night, 40 for the MM last week, things are turning for the better. :)
That is very inspiring!!!

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Can do, and are doing.

[snip]
Describe a 'fellowship night."

S&F

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
Depends on the night, but usually dinner, pool, darts, etc. We have our own game room, so that helps.

This may sound sappy , but has been on my mind .

I love this site and I wish more of these brothers who register , make one post and disappear , would post regularly as they do not know what they are missing . I have come to feel as close to the brothers on here who post regularly as I do some of my own lodge Brothers . And though we have never met face to face , I would do anything for you all as I would my own lodge brothers . I have learned much from many members here and just generally enjoyed reading everyone's posts and getting to know everyone . What a great big world there is out there and it is nice that we have Freemason Hall that can bring us all together .

We can bounce ideas off one another . Complain about things we can not in our own lodges , and some of us can even meet and sit in lodge with one another . We have been there , on here and in spirit , as some of our FMH members have went through the degrees (Bro. Duncan) . And so much more .

To all those who ARE NOT posting , jump on in and join our on-line community and start posting , you will not regret it .
Bringing this thread back out of retirement because I'm getting a little (just a little) at this point about the state and growth of FMH. Mind you, I have nothing invested in this site, so my opinion isn't worth much, but I've really grown to enjoy it. It's been four weeks now since there has been a new member (and kittens really didn't contribute, maybe he/she was just spam) and, as I would assume is normal, we are seeing guys disappear through attrition. This isn't meant to pick on these guys, only to give examples, but guys that have been great contributors and are fun to share with, guys like Patrick Williams (2 months), Tom Tinney (nearly 2 months), and Bro. Preston (3 weeks) have slowed or ceased contributing. Where do we go from here?

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Bringing this thread back out of retirement because I'm getting a little (just a little) at this point about the state and growth of FMH. Mind you, I have nothing invested in this site, so my opinion isn't worth much, but I've really grown to enjoy it. It's been four weeks now since there has been a new member (and kittens really didn't contribute, maybe he/she was just spam) and, as I would assume is normal, we are seeing guys disappear through attrition. This isn't meant to pick on these guys, only to give examples, but guys that have been great contributors and are fun to share with, guys like Patrick Williams (2 months), Tom Tinney (nearly 2 months), and Bro. Preston (3 weeks) have slowed or ceased contributing. Where do we go from here?
Warm weather causes less time in front of the keyboard and more outside?
Bro. Tom is working on the Tylers of the 9 website.
Bro. Patrick is alive, he pokes me on FB.