Personal Aprons

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
So you have a personal apron you where to the Lodge, or do you use the one provided? Have you "customized" your apron?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I also have two plain white linen aprons that where hand made , they have a belt with a quick release buckle . I keep one in my in my truck and the wife's car encase I am out and I want to go to lodge .

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I have a Past Master's apron that I wear to lodges other than my own. In my home lodge I wear the apron provided for the Secretary.

G

Gary

I have my own white leather apron, But that GW replica is cool. It's the "Call for pricing" that scares the crap out of me!:eek:

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
It is a nice apron , but it could not be worn in my jurisdiction , only Past Masters (Past Master's aprons only) and Officers (the apron of their office) are allowed to wear aprons with any adornment . I would like to have it and put in a shadow box though .

Pardon my ignorance but I have noticed that in different countries there are different styles of Aprons. In New Zealand all aprons are the same (with slight variations for the 3 different degrees..) even the English Constitution lodges and the Scottish Constitution Lodges here in NZ wear virtually the same Aprons as the Lodges under the Grand Lodge of NZ...so I guess my question is what do your aprons look like?

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Jason wrote:
So you have a personal apron you where to the Lodge, or do you use the one provided? Have you "customized" your apron?
Jason, the answer depends entirely on where you are in the world. In Mainstream Lodges through most of the USA, a member is given a white lambskin apron (completely unadorned). The size of the apron varies somewhat in certain jurisdictions, but that's the basic. Once again, that's for MOST Mainstream GL's in the US. Pennsylvania, for instance, has a member apron much like British Masons wear. In general, "customizing" your apron is not done, although I know of no rule against it.

NZ-Freemason wrote:
Pardon my ignorance but I have noticed that in different countries there are different styles of Aprons. In New Zealand all aprons are the same (with slight variations for the 3 different degrees..) even the English Constitution lodges and the Scottish Constitution Lodges here in NZ wear virtually the same Aprons as the Lodges under the Grand Lodge of NZ...so I guess my question is what do your aprons look like?
NZ, here in the USA, most Mainstream jurisdictions use a square or rectangular plain white apron for their members. The officers' apron is (again, usually) white, bordered in blue and with a representation of the officer jewel on it. You can see pics of these on any website that sells aprons for the US jurisdictions.

Oh wow, our aprons are quite different.

Our EAs wear a plain white apron: Craft - Apron - Entered Apprentice ::: New Zealand Constitution

Our FCs wear a similair one but with rosettes: Craft - Apron - Fellow Craft ::: New Zealand Constitution

And our MMs wear a more elaborate apron: Craft - Apron - Master Mason with pocket ::: New Zealand Constitution

And our Past Masters or Current Masters wear this: Craft - Apron, Past Master ::: New Zealand Constitution

Any idea why the aprons we use in NZ are so different to those of America? Just a constitutional variation perhaps?

Also I travel to America at least once a year as I have family there (L.A) question 1) Would I be able to attend a lodge meeting in America once I am Raised and 2) Would I be able to wear my MM apron from NZ or would I have to wear a different one?

Thanks for the responses so far!

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Any idea why the aprons we use in NZ are o different to those of America? Just a constitutional variation perhaps?

also I travel to America at least once a year as I have family there (L.A) question 1) Would I be able to attend a lodge meeting in America once I am Raised and 2) Would I be able to wear my MM apron from NZ or would I have to wear a different one?

Thanks for the responses so far!
I'm not sure why. They just are. It's the way things are done here. You certainly could wear your apron in an American Lodge. In fact, I'm sure the Lodge you visit would be thrilled to see it.

G

Gary

A brother from Surrey England visited my lodge here in Florida recently, and he wore his apron. It was not only very well received, it was the topic of great discussion.

Wally

Visiting lodge in USA

"Also I travel to America at least once a year as I have family there (L.A) question 1) Would I be able to attend a lodge meeting in America once I am Raised and 2) Would I be able to wear my MM apron from NZ or would I have to wear a different one?"

If your lodge is recognized by the Grand Lodge of the state where you plan to visit you would be welcome. Some lodges have a thorough procedure to test a visitor, others a few simple questions. Be prepared. Of course you may wear your NZ apron.

G

Gary

Also, once you are raised have your lodge secretary contact your Grand Lodge to let them know you will be traveling here, They will send you a formal Letter to accompany you on your visit. Traveling papers of sorts.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Just one quick note . NZ your PM aprons are legal in my constitution . I know of a couple of Past Masters who own and wear them . I am going to order one myself when they order more .

I love the Rosettes on the FC and MM aprons .