Proper Attire for Lodge

I can agree that this is good..... I have seen some take the suit to even higher levels with studs and the "proper" notched lapels.... I will have to be honest and say I dont wear a suit....my lodge has historically be a very relaxed attire....that comes from the rural farming history of my area....the farmers would come srtaight from the fields to lodge. I would wear a suit if it was the norm for my lodge. I am going to do my best to set an example and maybe get the standards for degrees as shirt /slacks/and tie as a minimum

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Black suit
White shirt
Black tie
White Gloves
No exceptions. :)
[/URL][/IMG]
I received my EA in jacket, slacks, shirt & tie (I go to Lodge straight from work and in that environment the longevity of a suit would be about 10min).

Good lloking guy, Winter, who is he? :D

Zack

Suit, sportscoat w/wo tie. Slacks and sport shirt at minimum for members.
Lodge officers dark suit & tie. We wear white jackets, white shirt, black pants, tie & shoes.

I don't buy the reasoning that a Brother can't afford a jacket and tie. I think it's he/they just don't want to buy one. Same with dues, it's not that they can't afford them, for the most part it's they just don't want to pay them. But that is another subject.

No shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops. No excuses!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
My lodge is in the middle of nowhere in a farming community . Many of my members get home from their regular job and then have to get on a tractor and work their fields or what ever the case may be and rush to lodge before the lodge is opened without having to take the time to put on a tux or suit . We are still a working farm community with men who comes straight to lodge from their farms .

I would not attend lodge if I was forced to wear a tux , I will wear suit or at the very least slacks and tie and sports coat . Funny thing is that I have seen these types of threads elsewhere actually get heated because some thinks their way should be the only way and this is not the case . You are just not going to get a bunch of farmers and country boys (who take their Freemasonry seriously despite what they wear) in a tux or a suit for a regularly stated meeting , it is just not going to happen and I would not force them too . We are who we are and the clothes are not going to change us .

Winter

I've been here before
Ashlar, I've seen it get heated on forums and in Lodges! LOL

But yeah, some Lodges it just isn't appropriate probably.

Funny story though, the other Lodge I belong to is a rural Lodge as well with a casual dress code. ny attempt to change that was met with the same arguments. Untill somebody pointed out all of the old Lodge pictures of the Brothers and without fail, every one was in a suit and tie. My thought? If it was important enough for them to be properly attired, I can make the effort as well.

Don't flame me because my Lodge has a dress code and I like it! LOL

Ashlar...I agree 100%. I have seen some postings that say not being "properly dressed" is lazy and disrespectful. I saw one that said specifics as to what a suit should have or it wasnt proper either....to me, that is fringing upon elitism amd only wanting people with money....some of the best Brothers I have known are casual dress guys. I like the idea of suits but it doesnt make a Brother any better than the one in a bib overalls. If the suit is the norm for your lodge....and all a Brother can afford is a thrift store or goodwill well then that should be good enough...I like to think we are more interested in the man than what his intrinsic value will afford him.

I agree no shorts and flip flops....thats is wrong...and lazy

Degree work should be a suit....

Stated meetings....if nothing is going on but standard business...well dockers and a polo shirt is fine....most of the time all we are doing is paying the bills and relaying info...nothing major.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Ashlar, I've seen it get heated on forums and in Lodges! LOL

But yeah, some Lodges it just isn't appropriate probably.

Funny story though, the other Lodge I belong to is a rural Lodge as well with a casual dress code. ny attempt to change that was met with the same arguments. Untill somebody pointed out all of the old Lodge pictures of the Brothers and without fail, every one was in a suit and tie. My thought? If it was important enough for them to be properly attired, I can make the effort as well.

Don't flame me because my Lodge has a dress code and I like it! LOL

We have many old pictures where our members were in bibs and work boots . Very few have I seen them in suits . We even have a portrait of one of our first Masters , who had the portrait taken for the lodge , in his "farm" clothes . The only time they would dress up was when they went "a visitin' " . So that dog will not hunt for us . We are now , as we always have been .

No one shouldn't flame anyone because they have a dress code , nor should those who do have a dress code flame those of us who do not .

I dont like it when a person from a lodge that has a more formal dress code says the ones from a lodge with a casual dress are lazy or disrespectful..... to me that is not brotherly Love.....that is being judgemental.....I havent found that being taught in any of the degrees.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I think these lodges with dress codes , officers in tuxes and members in black suits looks smart , very nice . I do not mind putting on one of my suits or in my sport coats, dress shirt , tie and slacks for degrees . I do not wear t-shirts , shorts and flip-flops . I just do not believe that clothes makes the man/Mason and I also do not believe one Mason/Lodge should be stating for a fact what every Mason/Lodge should be wearing when they attend lodge . It is a great , big ol' world out there , with many different types of men/Masons from many different types of backgrounds , who have many different tastes and styles . And in the words of Martha Stewart "That's a good thing" . Gives men a chance to find a lodge that fits them best . If I wanted to be a part of a lodge that does wear suits to lodge , then I would affiliate with the lodge a couple of miles down the road from my house instead of driving so far out of my way to my home lodge out in the country .

If I visit a lodge who requires a suit , then I will suit up .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Although we do not have any written rules. These are what I was told when I joined.

Candidates : Should arrive with "proper dress clothes" Meaning suit and tie, or Dress shoes, slacks, button shirt and tie with sport jacket. Tie may be eliminated if wearing a sweater which covers the entire front. ???? just what I was told.

Members: Should wear the same as what is expected of the candidates.

Officers : Black Tuxedo with tails, White tuxedo shirt (collar must be full collar, no wing tip style), black vest (no cumberbund), Black Bowtie, White gloves, complementary shoes (black dress shoes, tuxedo shoes, dress boots etc.)

Visitors : Slacks, shirt, tie, coat, shoes. We've admitted visitors from other states with much more relaxed dress. We don't refuse admittance for any brother based on their dress however.

I would however, if you're planning on visiting another lodge, to attempt to make contact prior, and inquire about the accepted dress for visitors.

DavisB

I have only been in lodge twice (for my EA and to watch 3 others) and in those cases all of the members, including myself, were wearing slacks, dress shirt, tie, and jacket. But I think that is mostly just for degrees. During the meals before the stated meetings most of the brothers are dressed much more casual. Quite a few were wearing jeans. I didn't see any shorts, but it was in November.

Though my experience is limited, I think I prefer a more formal dress code for myself. I understand where it isn't practical for others but it's just my preference.

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
In MA the requirement is a jacket and tie for brothers and a tux and gloves for officers. I think thats about right. Its not hard to throw on a tie and grab a sports coat on the way out of the door. I tend to only wear a dark suit to funerals or special occasions.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Ever meet in a Lodge with no A/C in the hot months in Florida? While the officers where a nice tux, members do not. Slacks and a polo shirt are the minimum. We did have a Brother from another Lodge come to our Lodge in shorts one time though. There was some talk over it, but he came alone, with no others from that Lodge, and we still did the degree with him. Some days I dress in a suit, some I do not. I've seen the Worshipful come in jeans.

I say, if you are happy then so be it. If you join a Lodge because tuxes are required then that is your desire, and do not look down on those that are not. There is a Lodge around here that is made up of Lawyers and Judges. That is their wish, and I respect that.

On a side note, but going along the whole to each Lodge their own type of deal. I was told by the Potentate for the P.H. Shrine here, their dues are $1,000 a year, and something like 10k-15k to join. They only have 100ish members, but they are all very active, and as you can guess, have money. That is their wish, and I do not look down on them for their high costs of membership. He gave their own reason, although funny, it is not repeatable, and hard to tell how serious he was over it.

But I tend to get in trouble for my views a lot.