Proper Attire for Lodge

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I should just put this on a loop. "The Scottish Rite has nothing to do with the Scots." It was actually created in France. LOL
Well, yes, BUT ... I mean, this is something I've wondered about for years. The Scots, when they were a Kingdom separate from England, had strong diplomatic ties to France. Indeed, Scottish princes and princesses were all bundled off to France for their education. The Scottish Guard is an important part of French history and the members were ALL Scots. When things went south for Scottish royalty, they always 'fled to France'. So, there was, indeed, a heavy Scottish influence in France. Is it possible that the Scottish Rite was developed for and by the members of the Scottish Guard and the Scottish royal family in France? That would make it a Scottish thing, no?

berthemp

In southern AZ (Green Valley) winter, officers wear the tux or dark suit. Summer is polo and khaki slacks. Degree work is done in tuxedo. Brothers can wear what they like. I have seen t-shirts in the lodge. I agree no flip flops, shorts, torn jeans, halter tops (see if you are paying attention).

We who are starting AZ's first law enforcement/firefighters degree team will be in full dress uniforms for any degree, summer or winter.

They say "clothes make the man..." but I don't think clothes make the mason. Good men are good men, whether they wear Tuxedos or overalls or coveralls. But nobody listens to me anyway.:D

Ofotherworlds

York Lodge's dress code calls itself "Business Formal", which is what was once referred to as "Informal". That is to say, one is expected to wear a suit or sport-coat and slacks, plus a button-up shirt and a necktie. In practice, you can get away with jeans and a polo shirt as long as you are wearing the sport-coat. Even officers regularly omit the tie. Naturally, the Worshipful Master wears a fedora rather than a tophat. Now and then someone mentions putting on tuxes and white gloves for for initiations, but it never happens. Then again real candles used to never happen and now they do, so there is hope.

Mind you, I do think that coat and tie is the right way to go for lodge attire for officers in most circumstances and brothers in all circumstances. It's a cut above everyday wear for most of us, but it's still something an ordinary gent of today has in his closet, even if he's not rich (and I certainly ain't).

GlennH

In southern AZ (Green Valley) winter, officers wear the tux or dark suit. Summer is polo and khaki slacks. Degree work is done in tuxedo. Brothers can wear what they like. I have seen t-shirts in the lodge. I agree no flip flops, shorts, torn jeans, halter tops (see if you are paying attention).

We who are starting AZ's first law enforcement/firefighters degree team will be in full dress uniforms for any degree, summer or winter.

They say "clothes make the man..." but I don't think clothes make the mason. Good men are good men, whether they wear Tuxedos or overalls or coveralls. But nobody listens to me anyway.:D
Enlighten me about the PD/FD degree team please.......

Winter

I've been here before
Is it possible that the Scottish Rite was developed for and by the members of the Scottish Guard and the Scottish royal family in France? That would make it a Scottish thing, no?
Sorry, Brother. :(

The myth of any Stuart Jacobite influence in the creation of the "Higher Degrees" (SR) is very well documented. A lot of the myth was used to claim membership by royalty who were never part of the Craft.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Sorry, Brother. :(

The myth of any Stuart Jacobite influence in the creation of the "Higher Degrees" (SR) is very well documented. A lot of the myth was used to claim membership by royalty who were never part of the Craft.
Ah, well. It really makes no difference, does it? Thanks for the info, though!

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Once again we have had a highly varied discussion about a facet of FM that started with a comment about what to wear.
Ain't this place great?