Proper Attire for Lodge

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
My lodge has an "unwritten rule" --- suit & tie for degree work, casual (at the very least) for regular communications, and when we visit another lodge it is suit and tie. Unacceptable for us -- shorts and flip flops.

I make it a point to tell the candidates about our unofficial dress code dress shirt, coat and tie (underwear included):eek: at the beginning so there will be no surprises. I have set in at stewards for another lodge so many times when this (going commando) has happened it is not funny any more.

johnj1582

I am glad that I came across this thread... it's so interesting seeing others' expectations!

That being said, I have to confess something. I have probably only worn a suit 5 or 6 times since I was initiated... for all my degrees, and a few stated meetings. I like to dress up for our meetings, but I am one of a small number of Masons who likes to wear his kilt to the lodge. Some of the guys like to rib me about it, but they're not picking on me for my LODGE attire, but it's the standard banter about KILT vs. SKIRT. As a matter of fact, most of the guys seem to dig it. I even wore the kilt down to our Grand Annual Communication last weekend, and it was received quite well.

Now, my lodge has some pretty lax expectations on attire, though it seems to be a general consensus that shorts and flip flops are out... the majority of the members/officers of my lodge are in jeans or khakis with a polo shirt or button up dress shirt. Very few ties make an appearance at my lodge unless we're doing degree work. Of course, we always go a little more formal when we're visiting, too.

Any other kilted brethren on here?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I would love to get a Kilt setup to wear to Lodge. I just have not been able to find a place to fit me yet. I may take a trip down to Dunedin though as there is a Large Irish/Scottish community there. I thought about making it my Lodge attire.

johnj1582

The Grand Lodge of Scotland also has their own tartan that is an "open" tartan, meaning anyone can wear it.

@ bro. Jason: I actually got the one I wear to lodge from Stillwater Kilts... They have a wool 8 yd model for somewhere in the 150 range if you get a sporran, belt, hose and flashes... They were recommended to me by a bro. MM, and i've found they're awesome.

So does anyone know if there are any completely kilted blue lodges in the states? I would totally make a special roadtrip for a visit.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
The Grand Lodge of Scotland also has their own tartan that is an "open" tartan, meaning anyone can wear it.
Well ... the idea that there are 'closed' tartans is a Victorian fancy. That being said, there are 4 or 5 'restricted' tartans out there. Balmoral, for instance, can only be purchased by members of the Royal Family of England (you can buy a version that is close, but not exact). There is a Williams tartan that is 'owned' by a specific person, and the only way you can get it is with his written permission. Wear any tartan you like!

In Scotland these days it is considered 'rude' to wear a tartan you're not 'entitled to', but if you're not in Scotland ...

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
We have several members who wear kilts to lodge. Though most tend to only wear them for degree work or special events. We even have a Scottish degree team that raises new brothers of Scottish decent. They are called the Killwinning Club and do the whole thing in Scottish regalia. Its fantastic!

pdh825

Master Mason
Our WM this year has requested officers in tuxes for the first meeting of the month and for degree work. All other meetings the officers are asked to be in a suit and tie. We also prefer if the members would wear suits to all meetings, but we will not turn them away as long as they are properly clothed in the lodge room. It is, after all, the internal not the external...

OUTSTANDING....just as luck would have it, I am planning on getting that degree this summer...... the cold months it isnt preformed here.....

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
We have several members who wear kilts to lodge. Though most tend to only wear them for degree work or special events. We even have a Scottish degree team that raises new brothers of Scottish decent. They are called the Killwinning Club and do the whole thing in Scottish regalia. Its fantastic!
As a American of Scottish descent that is just cool.
When I was discussing the SR with my mentor, he informed me that the SR in Wisconsin rarely wears kilts. :(

Winter

I've been here before
As a American of Scottish descent that is just cool.
When I was discussing the SR with my mentor, he informed me that the SR in Wisconsin rarely wears kilts. :(
I should just put this on a loop. "The Scottish Rite has nothing to do with the Scots." It was actually created in France. LOL

G

Gary

I should just put this on a loop. "The Scottish Rite has nothing to do with the Scots." It was actually created in France. LOL
Well, there were/are Scottish members, but you are correct sir!

Bro. Russ, The Knights of St. Andrew wear Kilts. They also wear sashes with their formal wear. You have to be a 32° to join their order.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Well, there were/are Scottish members, but you are correct sir!

Bro. Russ, The Knights of St. Andrew wear Kilts. They also wear sashes with their formal wear. You have to be a 32° to join their order.
I think that was the degree they played the Bag Pipes for too.