Raised on Monday

iMav

-==-
Congratulations, Brother! Welcome to the journey!

Five Brothers in one night? Sheesh! What time did you start, what time did you get out of there! lol A MM degree takes a good two hours for us.
I will be raised on the 29th of this month (Dec). There are two other brothers who received their 1st and 2nd degrees the same nights that I did.

But we, apparently, always do the MM degree one per night... The brothers feel that it makes the night more special for the brother being raised (and, it takes such a long time from what I've been told). :)

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I'm surprised they had a break unless they had more than 5 receiving the degree. Our MM degrees typically last about 1hr 20min each. Not sure if that's the norm, but that would put us out at about 11:30-11:45pm for 3 degrees.
First and second sections as well as Q & A and both lectures & charge in 1 hour and 20 minutes? We take over 2 hours to do this. I guess every jurisdiction is different.
If we do multiple degrees now, GL has a different form which allows us to go through the degree up to the OB with each man then do the OB and Q&A, lectures, & charge to all the brothers at one time. This has shortened multiple candidate degrees up a lot. I don't care for this form much, I like doing each brother independently.

iMav, congratulations, I know you will enjoy your MM degree. Set back and let it happen.

pdh825

Master Mason
Congrats on the commencement of your lifelong journey Brother.

My lodge does 2 rounds of degrees per year. EA and FC are done on regular meeting nights. That is, we meet the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month and the EA and FC degrees are scheduled in advance for one of them twice a year. We have a FC degree tonight and will be passing 8 EAs. They all participate and experience the same thing. We have had a lot of practice at this and I am still amazed each time.

Our MM degrees are held on a Saturday. We start at 8:30 with a small breakfast, Degree gets under way at 9. Depending on the number of Brothers being Raised, we may break for lunch after section 1. If we only have a few, we start section 2 and then break. After Lunch we resume labor to finish out the degree in entirety. We usually finish around 2:30 - 3PM.

Congrats on being raised.....

Just to be included, we might have max of two for EA or FC...NEVER..ever.....ever do we have more than one Brother raised in a degree.

pdh825

Master Mason
Congrats on being raised.....

Just to be included, we might have max of two for EA or FC...NEVER..ever.....ever do we have more than one Brother raised in a degree.
Just to clarify, for the MM up to the obligation all Brothers being raised go together. Each Brother is Raised individually so we perform that portion multiple times. They are all kept separated and have absolutely no idea what is going on, until it is their turn.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Our Lodge had to get dispensation from GL to have more than 5 candidates. The EA Ritual had 7 candidates. When FC came around, there were 5 of the original EA group and 2 candidates there for courtesy work. Our raising had 6 candidates, all from the original EA group. One had done FC at a different Lodge. The 7th candidate from the EA group hasn't been heard from.

In order to fit all six of us into one evening, they did an "abbreviated" Ritual for the first 5 and a normal, full Ritual for the last brother that the other 5 got to watch. It was a very long night. I left the parking lot at 11:45. At least I was smart enough to have taken the next day as a vacation day.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Windrider,
I don't know that would even be possible in PA. The only way you get the degree's in PA is from your home lodge. It wouldn't be feasible to receive from another lodge. The other situation would be the requirement for the 1 masonic month. Unless they met on the exact same night, it wouldn't work, and if that is the case, why wouldn't they come back to their home lodge. I'm not attacking you, I am just pointing out what I see.

pdh825

Master Mason
We can have up to 8 for any given degree before a dispensation needs to be requested. However, I believe our GM recently issued a ruling that he will not even consider more than 8 at a time.

It really is interesting to learn how other jurisdictions handle things.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Windrider,
I don't know that would even be possible in PA. The only way you get the degree's in PA is from your home lodge. It wouldn't be feasible to receive from another lodge. The other situation would be the requirement for the 1 masonic month. Unless they met on the exact same night, it wouldn't work, and if that is the case, why wouldn't they come back to their home lodge. I'm not attacking you, I am just pointing out what I see.
BG ,

Here in Kentucky , we can have another lodge do courtesy work for us . As long as they are Initiated , Passed and Raised in a regularly constituted Kentucky Lodge is all that matters . We will take candidates to other lodges or other lodges will bring their candidates to our lodge when we are putting on work . Some lodges will have a special combined lodge degree , in that three different lodges will put on the MM degree together such as a special outdoor MM degree .

Another scenario , Say we have an EA attending U of K or Heaven forbid the University of Louisville , and he has returned his lecture but can not get home to be Passed , my lodge may contact a Lexington or Louisville lodge nearest the candidate and ask them to put on the Fellowcraft degree for us as a courtesy . This is also with the candidates permission . If they want all the work done in their home lodge , then we will abide by their wishes .

A couple of years ago we took one of our FCs' due to be Raised to another lodge who was Raising one of their own . Turns out two other lodges brought a candidate each also . There were so many Master Masons there from so many different lodges that it was standing room only , and there were some Brothers who could not even get into lodge because the room was packed to gills with Freemasons and they either had to go home or wait it out in the dining hall .

Almost all the lodges in my area put on their MM degrees on saturday mornings because it is such a huge production , with props and costumes . We will eat breakfast at 8:00 AM and start the work at 9:00 and we end up getting out of lodge in the afternoon . And because it takes so long to put on the second section of the degree with the props and costumes , if there are more than one candidate , we have to short form the first candidates and long form the last one while the others watch . If you ask me the ones on the sidelines watching get more out of it because there is certain parts of the degree that the candidate who is participating long form misses out on because he is , um.... he is....... Wow , I wish this was Tyled so I could go into more detail !

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Very, Very interesting Ashlar, I knew that there were differences in Jurisdictions, as well as State to State. Thank you for elaborating and explaining. I have never seen nor heard of this happening in PA. I would still assume that these must occur no less than 1 masonic month apart though (yes I understand what "assume" means :p) It's an interesting way to complete the work. Typically what happens here is the degree's occur in the home lodge, and we have the visiting brothers, if requested, participate. I have visited a few lodges around mine, and often times am requested to participate in ritual and degree work when they are having such. It would be something to attend that's for sure.
I think it's also interesting to hear that props and costumes are part of the degree work also. I must admit that in my jurisdiction in PA does not use costumes, only the necessary props for the degrees. The degree progresses from entry to finish in about 1 hour 20 minutes per MM degree. With the exception of the "charge" (which can be given by someone else) the entire degree is conferred by the sitting WM. As long as the master is competent in the degree it shouldn't take any longer than that for the raising.
I will have to make it a point in life to attend your lodge during degree work, I think it would be quite a dramatic affair.
One other thing that I want to comment on is, "There were so many Master Masons there from so many different lodges that it was standing room only , and there were some Brothers who could not even get into lodge because the room was packed to gills with Freemasons and they either had to go home or wait it out in the dining hall ." WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is awesome. I've never attended any lodge, not even when the Grand Master attended, that were standing room only. I've been in fairly full lodges, but never standing room only. Great to hear!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Yes our candidates must wait the mandatory month , or 28 days(one lunar month) I should say .

When we have multiple candidates from different lodges ,we normally have a huge crowd , this is why we do not care to take our candidates elsewhere or have them come to us . The more there is on the sidelines the better . If you ever visit in my lodge , you find that a visiting Grand Lodge officer , from Grand Master down to DDGM , does not impress us or draws a crowd . It's the work of the local lodges working together and the candidates that is the draw .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Windrider,
I'm not entirely sure how the courtesy work um, works ;) The Brother who got his FC in an other Lodge is about to ship out to Afghanistan, so there may have been some slack cut there.

As far as I know, the 1 Month requirement is very flexible in Mass. I was just reading about 1-day degrees on the LOI web site, so it is possible, with GL dispensation, to do all 3 degrees in a single, very long day. The only time I've heard of this actually happening was for three brothers in Philanthropic Lodge in Marblehead who were all going into the Service within days.

The LOI web site is http://educatemasons.org

The site is tyled in a very simple way if you are at least a FC. Just remember, names usually have the first letter capitalized. Check it out for yourself, it can only benefit both of us.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
One other thing that I want to comment on is, "There were so many Master Masons there from so many different lodges that it was standing room only , and there were some Brothers who could not even get into lodge because the room was packed to gills with Freemasons and they either had to go home or wait it out in the dining hall ." WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is awesome. I've never attended any lodge, not even when the Grand Master attended, that were standing room only. I've been in fairly full lodges, but never standing room only. Great to hear!
One thing I find sad about this is , though we normally have large crowds for the Master Mason degree , that some lodges have trouble getting brothers to lodge to be there for the EA or FC degree . It seems Brothers should come out in force for all the degrees but more so for the EA degree as this is a man's first step in Freemasonry , this is his first view inside the lodge and it would be SO impressive to see the seats full of Brothers on the sidelines . I try to get to all the EA degrees I can in my area to welcome new Masons into our Fraternity . And the Fellowcraft degree , my lodge and a few other's put on very fine FC degrees , not a word is skipped over , it is a beautiful thing but some have no interest in it . All some seem to care about is the Master Mason degree .

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
One thing I find sad about this is , though we normally have large crowds for the Master Mason degree , that some lodges have trouble getting brothers to lodge to be there for the EA or FC degree . It seems Brothers should come out in force for all the degrees but more so for the EA degree as this is a man's first step in Freemasonry , this is his first view inside the lodge and it would be SO impressive to see the seats full of Brothers on the sidelines . I try to get to all the EA degrees I can in my area to welcome new Masons into our Fraternity . And the Fellowcraft degree , my lodge and a few other's put on very fine FC degrees , not a word is skipped over , it is a beautiful thing but some have no interest in it . All some seem to care about is the Master Mason degree .
It seems as though some brothers want to be there to welcome a newly raised brother, but those same ones don't want to be a part of the groundwork to get that brother to this point.

I have noticed (and I don't like it) that some brothers as soon as a man is raised they will shove an appendant bodies petition into that brother's face in order to raise their numbers. I told a good friend of mine, who did that after lodge, that I thought he should let the brother get settled into Blue Lodge prior to being pulled one direction or another. (this is my opinion only).

Winter

I've been here before
I'm with you on this one, Custer. If I had my way, there would be a minimum mandatory period where a new Brother would have to show that they were active in their Craft Lodge prior to being permited to enter a petition for an Appendant Body.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I have noticed (and I don't like it) that some brothers as soon as a man is raised they will shove an appendant bodies petition into that brother's face in order to raise their numbers. I told a good friend of mine, who did that after lodge, that I thought he should let the brother get settled into Blue Lodge prior to being pulled one direction or another. (this is my opinion only).
I experienced this even before being raised. Even when I pointed out that I am not a Christian, the York Rite guys tried to find a workaround ;) One of the Brothers in my lodge commands my deepest respect. I knew him outside of Lodge before I became a Freemason. We are both Prostate Cancer survivors and we had worked the same charitable events before I explored Masonry. I never knew he was a Mason until my EA and I saw him at Lodge. He is 32 degree and always makes the announcements for Scottish Rite. He's also a PM, Lodge Treasurer and a GL Officer. His advice was to hold off and "Just be a Mason for a while."

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I experienced this even before being raised. Even when I pointed out that I am not a Christian, the York Rite guys tried to find a workaround ;) One of the Brothers in my lodge commands my deepest respect. I knew him outside of Lodge before I became a Freemason. We are both Prostate Cancer survivors and we had worked the same charitable events before I explored Masonry. I never knew he was a Mason until my EA and I saw him at Lodge. He is 32 degree and always makes the announcements for Scottish Rite. He's also a PM, Lodge Treasurer and a GL Officer. His advice was to hold off and "Just be a Mason for a while."

How would you not being a Christian affect your petitioning of the York Rite ? The only Christian body in the York Rite is the Commandery . So the only "workaround" they would need to have done is not have you become a Sir Knight . Since the Chapter and Council of the YR are nonsectarian bodies , they are open to Christians and non-Christians alike . I know many non-Christians in the the YR .