Raised on Monday

G

Gary

Well ... okay, but let's type this for clarity's sake: there is no historical connection between the ancient Knights Templar and the Masonic organization that bears that name. The Grand Encampment of Knights Templar of the USA has that statement on their website, even.
I never implied that the Masonic order bearing the same name claimed any history to the original Templars. I was trying to reference the question to the RCC/ and the armor wearing knights.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I never implied that the Masonic order bearing the same name claimed any history to the original Templars. I was trying to reference the question to the RCC/ and the armor wearing knights.
I know, but you have to keep an eye open for those who may read these forums and do not know.

Winter

I've been here before
There is a Jewish gentleman in Racine who is thinking about joining the order just so he can become a Templar. Per him, his grandfather was a KT back in the 1920's (and involved with Grand Commandery, too). If accurate, then, you are not the first man of the Hebrew persuasion to become a Templar in Wisconsin. I have been told that there have been others.
Makes sense I wasn't the only Hebe in the woodpile! LOL We even manage to get into country clubs on occasion!

DavisB

And hunted down and killed by same said church too......
Not exactly. The Knights Templar were accused of heresy by King Philip IV of France on Friday Oct. 13th 1307 and on his orders all French Templars were arrested. After that many were tortured into confession (the validity of the confession is highly contested). The Pope then requested all other Catholic rulers to arrest and detain all of the Templars residing in their countries until the Holy See could conduct a trial into their practices. During this trial, the Templars present (including Jacques de Molay, the last Grand Master) confessed to a few of their charges but only the minor ones. The Bishops who were conducting the trial decided to forgive the repentant Templars of their sins and return them to full communion within the Catholic Church. Pope Clement V then issued a Papal Bull which abolished the Templar order and gave all of their land and wealth to their sister order the Hospitallers. This angered King Philip because one of his motives in arresting the Templars was no doubt his greed and desire for their wealth to finance the crusade he had just taken up the cross for. The Pope then sentenced the four former leaders of the order to life in prison for their part in allowing the initiation rite to become sinful and allowing practices which contradicted catholic teachings to occur with the order. When this sentence was announced to the four leaders still imprisoned in France, both Jacques de Molay and one other leader took back their initial confession claiming that they had been tortured, and said that the order had done nothing wrong. Because of this King Philip then had the two men burned at the stake.

So the Catholic Church didn't really have much to do with the arrest and execution of the Templars except that Pope Clement V was easily persuaded into shutting down the Order by King Philip's army.

Sorry I couldn't resist spreading my new-found knowledge seeing as I submitted an 8,000 word paper on the topic of the trial of the Templars earlier this week. :D:D

DavisB

I would presume that the interpretation encompasses all of those you mentioned. The Knights Templar were originally under dispensation of the Catholic church from what I understand.
Yes, at the hight of their power the Templars answered only to the Pope himself.