Visiting Lodges while traveling

Joeg

I travel alot for work and I love to visit lodges in the area i'm working. My problem is that i'm not always able to carry a suite with me. :-(

What would the minimum dress code that would be acceptable? I love the craft but I'm a blue collar union guy lol

G

Gary

That really depends on the jurisdiction that you are visiting. I've heard of some lodges being suit and tie (going so far as to tell you BLACK in color only), to Lodges that wear jeans and cowboy hats. Some wear slacks and polo shirts.

I've even been to Lodges that had some members wearing shorts. While I don't necessarily agree with that, no man should ever be judged by his appearance. It's what's inside the man that counts. So that being said, as long as you are presentable, they shouldn't turn you away, especially since you are a visitor.

If you know which Lodges you intend to visit, you might consider giving them a call or write them to find out their dress code.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have visited lodges while on vacation at the beach in NC where visitors could wear nice shorts (no swim or surfer shorts) and a polo shirt .

Though I may wear suits for very special occasions and degree work , I will not wear them to regularly stated meetings and vote against dress codes every time it is brought to the floor , I am uncomfortable in them and getting a bunch of farmers and country boys to wear suits on a regualr basis would be tough row to hoe .

But , as Gary stated , if you know the lodge ahead of time then you could find out if they have a dress code . If it was my lodge and we DID have a dress code , we still would not turn a visitor away for not wearing a suit or tux .

TrowelTalk

I love the craft but I'm a blue collar union guy lol
Same here, BROTHER.

I also travel a lot, and include a sports coat and a tie in my bag which can go with dress slacks or blue jeans. I've always felt like I was adequately dressed.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
It is supposedly currently in the works to eliminate our dress code. Current dress is shirt and tie at minimum. We have had visitors that have shown up in jeans and shirt, they were permitted to attend since they were visitors, but it is expected to wear slacks, shirt and tie, and coat for meetings. The officers are required to wear tux with tails, full collar, bow tie, and vest.

Terry1955

In my area of Illinois we have members show up in bibs. I go to lodge from work wearing jeans and redwing boots all the time. Degree work is a different story but it's still not formal. I wear a suit, some wear sport jackets and some wear nice polo shirts and khakis. We are in a rural community. I have heard of lodges that expect their officers to wear black tux's to lodge. We are not one of them.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I belong to a Tux Lodge: that is, the officers are expected to wear tuxes or black suits to meetings (except in the summer ... our ancient Lodge building does not have decent air conditioning). Degree work is formal, too. Members & visitors are just expected to show up. We don't care how they dress.

Winter

I've been here before
My Lodge is another one that has a dress code. Members must be in dark suit and officers must be in black tux. But that's the way we like it. You can't even get into the building we meet in unless you are in casual business attire at a minimum.

We get a lot of visitors at my Lodge, but we are unique enough that Brothers don't mind dressing up for an evening to come see us! :)

pjobrian80

Alot of lodges dress codes are dwindling. If you ask me it should be MANDATORY to wear dress pants, a shirt and tie at all Masonic functions. No attacks please! That is just my opinion. Me personally, I wear slacks, shirt, tie, and jacket.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
We get a lot of visitors at my Lodge, but we are unique enough that Brothers don't mind dressing up for an evening to come see us! :)
So, when and where do you meet? I know my Master would like to do more visitations. If you're close enough ...

Winter

I've been here before
No, I'm living in Milwaukee now. On the East Side. I transfered here to UWM, better Anthropology program. I travel to Madison for Lodge but I have a lot of Masonic friends here so I go to a lot of Lodge meetings in and around Milwaukee and help with degree work.

G

Gary

Anyone have one of these "Masonic Passports"? I'm told they are fun to have signed or stamped by the Lodges you visit.

If you haven't seen one before here is what one looks like;

Masonic Passport

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have one , but it has nothing in it because I keep forgetting to carry it with me . I am going to start making it a point to gat it stamped .

Winter

I've been here before

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Yes , we would use the lodge seal since we do not have a stamp .

But my passport also has a place for the Master and Secretary to sign if you choose to go that root , instead of the stamp/seal .