Visiting Lodges while traveling

wolfbrau

Visited Amwell Lodge in Lambertville on Mon. for a scottish 3rd. The Masonic Kilties performed the ceremony and they were amazing. There are subtle differences to the ritual, but I felt welcome and at home. That is one of the greatest mysteries of Freemasonry!

I want to encourage all brothers to visit other lodges, you are only cheating yourself if you don't,

Next month, the big apple.

Laxguy38922

Yeah, they are electric... If you ever make it to Philadelphia you have to take a tour of the whole building. Last Night an older brother was showing/telling me about some secret passages in the building. It was amazing

Laxguy38922

We probably did at some point. I was in the West, right by the stage used in begining of the 16th on the canadite side in the 2nd row.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Visitation/Masonic Passport

I traveled to Italy last year, and Ireland in '06. I do NOT check baggage on a plane; just carefully pack a 22inch (55cm) carry on bag. I have no problem packing a black suit, white shirt, black tie. I only carry black shoes traveling, anyway, so no extra stuff there. Loved visiting Eden 73 in Limerick and Oracle 1003 in Dublin, but wasn't able to get to one in Italy.

Passport: Golly, I wish I'd had one 33 years ago! I've only got one space left in mine left, after about 2 years. ALWAYS call ahead and talk to the lodge secretary and assure there will be a stamp or seal present. It's good etiquette to make contact before visiting, anyway.

You can get a Masonic Passport cheaper ($5+shipping) at www.bluelodgeaprons.com I buy a dozen at a time and save on shipping. I give them to masters of lodges I visit, and sell some for $6 (about what I pay, with shipping). I have no financial connection with them, tho I've bought like 4 dozen passports!
bob franks, Wayne Lodge 112, Goldsboro, NC

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Electric minor lights? Interesting.. we have real wax candles.. (I think just just used an E-landmark).
Yup. Electric lesser lights. They are typically light bulbs that have a S&C filament. And they flicker! In Anchorage, AK everybody uses the electrics. I think it may have to do with fire code. Here in Wisconsin, everybody (or, at least, everybody I'm familiar with) uses wax candles. I have to say that I prefer the wax.

You can get Masonic light bulbs from the JP Luther catalog, and prolly from just about any good Masonic retailer. I don't see them anymore, but you used to find them all over EBay (until people figured out that they really weren't a vintage Masonic collectable. :p )

G

Gary

Yup. Electric lesser lights. They are typically light bulbs that have a S&C filament. And they flicker! In Anchorage, AK everybody uses the electrics. I think it may have to do with fire code. Here in Wisconsin, everybody (or, at least, everybody I'm familiar with) uses wax candles. I have to say that I prefer the wax.

You can get Masonic light bulbs from the JP Luther catalog, and prolly from just about any good Masonic retailer. I don't see them anymore, but you used to find them all over EBay (until people figured out that they really weren't a vintage Masonic collectable. :p )
We use those too, but ours don't flicker.

Winter

I've been here before
I don't know, Ashlar. There's just something, I don't know, mystic, about a dark Lodge room lit only with fire as our ancient Brothers used.

When I became Master of my Lodge one of the first things I did was replace the electric tapers with burning ones. Maybe it's just me, but I think it lends dignity to the proceedings.

I can also see the practicality of the electric lights in some of the Lodges I have been in where it is a safety concern owing to the advanced age of the building.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I don't like the candles , it's just me though . Also because of vent placement and ceiling fans , it gets old having to relight them all the time .

Winter

I've been here before

wolfbrau

I had the pleasure of visiting Delaware for the 15 and 18 Scottish Rite and this was the 4th time in the last 2 months that I saw the 18th, and am I ever glad I did....I got more out of the 18th lastnight than inany of the other presentations so far. It might be a result of a great performance, or the building up of data that exploded into light, but I want to say to all the Brethren, once is not enough. If you just want your passports stamped, that's fine, but there are lessons to be learned by these degrees so don't cheat yourselves. See everyone you can and get involved.

Next week...he valley of NY for the 18th degree.

Winter

I've been here before
I had the pleasure of visiting Delaware for the 15 and 18 Scottish Rite and this was the 4th time in the last 2 months that I saw the 18th, and am I ever glad I did....I got more out of the 18th lastnight than inany of the other presentations so far. It might be a result of a great performance, or the building up of data that exploded into light, but I want to say to all the Brethren, once is not enough. If you just want your passports stamped, that's fine, but there are lessons to be learned by these degrees so don't cheat yourselves. See everyone you can and get involved.

Next week...he valley of NY for the 18th degree.
Congrats, Brother!

Now, who has ordered their oil-filled candles? :)