What are you reading ?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Masonicly what are reading ? Right now I'm reading Chris Hodapp's "Solomon's Builders: Freemasons, Founding Fathers and the Secrets of Washington D.C." and " Kentucky Freemasonry -The Grand Lodge and the Men Who Made It " by Charles Guthrie .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
To be honest. Right now things have been so crazy, I haven't had a chance to grab a new book. However, I couldn't sleep last night and started bidding on various Masonic pamphlets and old booklets on e-bay. If I don't win any of that, I'm going in search of a new book.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I just purchased "The Craft and it's Symbols" by Allen Roberts how Amazon , just waiting for it to come in .

cemab4y

Reading

Charlie Guthrie once presented me with an autographed first edition of his book. My masonic membership is in Kentucky, and Charlie was a teacher at the college I attended (Western Kentucky University).

ammulu

Seriously no time to read a book. Had a baby boy on valentine's day and so busy with him day and night. No time to really read any book, little time that I get I prefer to take a nap or spend time online surfing.

mollyL

I've been trying to work my way though "The History of Freemasonry (the Legendary Origins)" written by Albert Mackery. My husband has it in his library and recommended that I'd learn much about Masonry from it, but to tell you the truth so far the stories and theories are so rooted in very ancient speculation that it hasn't really grabbed me yet. But I'll keep slogging through! :)

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Jason , have you read W.L. Wilmshurst's " The Meaning of Masonry " ? If not I would suggest finding a copy , I found it to be a great book . I found my copy at of all places Wal-mart . You can read it here on PhoenixMasonry .The Meaning of Masonry by W. L. Wilmshurst - Table of Contents

Yup, I've read that book, Meaning of Masonry. It was good. I just ordered a few books from Amazon, although cannot remember which one other then Born in Blood. Now I'm just waiting for them to show up. I also found out Amazon has two state Masonic magazines, so I ordered them too. :D

mollyL

I am currently reading the biography of John Adams by David McCullogh. I am not very far into it but I can tell I will enjoy reading it. Since Washington was a Mason, I wonder if there will be some interesting bits about Masonry. I'll let you know if there is.

RoughAshlar

I'm also reading Solomon's Builders, aswell as Tobias Churton's The Magus of Freemasonry(a biography of Elias Ashmole, founder of the Royal Society)

mollyL

john adams on HBO

If you have HBO, you might want to check out John Adams, the dramatic adaptation of David McCullogh's book. Nothing about Masons yet, but still riveting. My hubby had to pass me the kleenex during the Adams' farewell as he was going to France. Really good stuff!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
If you have HBO, you might want to check out John Adams, the dramatic adaptation of David McCullogh's book. Nothing about Masons yet, but still riveting. My hubby had to pass me the kleenex during the Adams' farewell as he was going to France. Really good stuff!

I picked that book up the other day and I put it in the rotation . There's a few books ahead of it but I should get to it in the next few weeks .

Green-Moo

I picked that book up the other day and I put it in the rotation . There's a few books ahead of it but I should get to it in the next few weeks .

I'm fascinated! You have a plan for your reading? How does it work?

I have a friend who reads books alphabetically by author. She has to plan ahead to ensure that when she finished something by an author beginning with W she isn't stuck! It always strikes me as an odd system. I read things as they appeal to me, with the exception of things I have borrowed, as what I think I'm going to enjoy when I finnish my current book may not necessarily still appeal when I come to it.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I base it on my favorite genre , author and how long I have been anticipating the new release . It's really hard to put into words . Let's say I'm reading Stephen King's newest novel and I have a Dean Koontz , Clive Cussler and a John Saul waiting to read and John Sanford or Bentley Little releases their latest novels , they will be put on top of the pile for me read next while to others will be put on the back burner . Or I'll mix it up ,I'll read horror/thriller , then a mystery and then something historical . But I'm always reading something Masonic at the same time with the others .

Most of the time I have two or three books going at once , I'll read masonic literature in the morning and late afternoon and I'll read an hour or two in the evening on one novel while the wife watches TV and the horror/thriller at night in bed . I love my books and have hundreds of them in my library/den. And I'm funny about my books ,I'll lend out my paperbacks to other people , but my hardcovers never leave my sight .

Abot

How did you find the book Ashlar? I am planning to get it from the nearby library for the weekend coming