The Compasses...

wolfbrau

Perhaps it should be 72 which divides a circle into 5 points which when connected makes a 5 point star creating unlimited examples of the golden ratio, phi. A ratio the operative masons revered. (1+[sq.rt.5])/2

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Perhaps it should be 72 which divides a circle into 5 points which when connected makes a 5 point star creating unlimited examples of the golden ratio, phi. A ratio the operative masons revered. (1+[sq.rt.5])/2
PHI is in all of nature, Nautilus shells, the ratios of our body's bones to each other, it is truly Golden. (1.61803399)

The 5 points also create a pentagon and a pentagram.

(1+[sq.rt.5])/2......... ok, it was a LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG night at the firehouse...my math skills arent kicking in the morning....Hint...or multiple choice....

I appreciate all of your insights, because I had never considered the straight line aspects of the compasses. My understanding, now viewed through a different lens, is that you use the compasses to create a circle, with you at the center.

The size of the circle depends on the length of the tines (some are destined to have more of this world's good than others), but the entirety of the circle is supposed to represent my resources and to keep my passions within those due bounds.

Duncan1574

I appreciate all of your insights, because I had never considered the straight line aspects of the compasses. My understanding, now viewed through a different lens, is that you use the compasses to create a circle, with you at the center.

The size of the circle depends on the length of the tines (some are destined to have more of this world's good than others), but the entirety of the circle is supposed to represent my resources and to keep my passions within those due bounds.
In machine shops the compass or divider is often used to measure the inside diameter of a hole or to verify the trueness of a hole (is it round or oblong).

In my limited understanding it is used in esoteric Masonry that the compass is used to circumscribe our behaviors. To give a metaphorical "its so big" to our mental environment.

wolfbrau

In operative Masonry the compass was also used to check if your square was really square, plumbs could also be checked but there were easier ways. Then there was fibonacci!

wolfbrau

Bro. Russ, that's my background on my computor. To the Fireman, phi, or the golden ratio is the blueprint of nature. An example would be the digits of your hand. If you add the length of your first 2 digits it should be close to the 3rd. Add the 2nd and 3rd should =the fourth.

The sequence starts 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21.... The further you go the closer you get to the ideal or golden ratio which is (1+[SQ RT 5]) / 2. Do a google search of either Fibonacci or golden ratio to open up a great big can of worms.

Duncan1574

Bro. Russ, that's my background on my computor. To the Fireman, phi, or the golden ratio is the blueprint of nature. An example would be the digits of your hand. If you add the length of your first 2 digits it should be close to the 3rd. Add the 2nd and 3rd should =the fourth.

The sequence starts 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21.... The further you go the closer you get to the ideal or golden ratio which is (1+[SQ RT 5]) / 2. Do a google search of either Fibonacci or golden ratio to open up a great big can of worms.
Wolfbrau, thanks. The graphic shows 1+1, 2+2, 3+3, 5+5 and shows the golden arch starting from just the first three sequences. Fun stuff math, it and I don't get along real well (it killed my 4.0gpa :eek: )

MY background is this:

wolfbrau

I just stole your background for my screensaver pics, where did you get it?
Attached is a pic of Corinthian Hall in the PA Grand Temple, if I did it correct.

Attachments

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
In my limited understanding it is used in esoteric Masonry that the compass is used to circumscribe our behaviors. To give a metaphorical "its so big" to our mental environment.
Indeed. In every Lodge there is a certain point, within a circle. You are the point and the circle is the morality that you accept and our fraternity describes. Now, you have the ability to step outside the circle any time you want. How would we know? Who would stop you? But you also have the perfect freedom to stay inside the circle. To say, "the world of my actions is this big, and no bigger". To say, "I prefer to serve my Master from here and in this way, and I CHOOSE not to extend that further."

Wolf...thanks....clear as mud...LOL...I go into burning buildings for a living...me & numbers havent had the best of relationships ...I did google it and after reading for a while, it all became clear to me....it was clear that I was a lost ball in high weeds reading that...

Thanks for shedding a little light for me.

G

Gary

Indeed. In every Lodge there is a certain point, within a circle. You are the point and the circle is the morality that you accept and our fraternity describes. Now, you have the ability to step outside the circle any time you want. How would we know? Who would stop you? But you also have the perfect freedom to stay inside the circle. To say, "the world of my actions is this big, and no bigger". To say, "I prefer to serve my Master from here and in this way, and I CHOOSE not to extend that further."
THAT is exactly the answer i was looking for when I started this thread. ;)

G

Gary

Wolf...thanks....clear as mud...LOL...I go into burning buildings for a living...me & numbers havent had the best of relationships ...I did google it and after reading for a while, it all became clear to me....it was clear that I was a lost ball in high weeds reading that...

Thanks for shedding a little light for me.
I sure hope you are at least fluent in algebra. Hydraulics calculations are necessary if the computer on your pump panel fails...:D

Algebra...so..so...I have the fire flow calculations down....BUT we use the radio method...."Hey, give me more or cut back on the pressure"... but I do know the calculations on what I will need....