The Compasses...

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I just stole your background for my screensaver pics, where did you get it?
Attached is a pic of Corinthian Hall in the PA Grand Temple, if I did it correct.
I had the one that is my avatar on this forum, but then I found this stone2 and knew it was the right one.....

Google/Images/ Masonic symbols

G

Gary

I did, but you weren't interested in answering initially! :D:D:D

I'm glad I started this thread. It's taken several interesting turns in the discussion. Very interesting stuff.

I may have to come up with another topic for examination....:eek: ;)

G

Gary

Where is the fun in that? LOL... I appreciate the PM offer. :)

But seriously, I've decided to just keep quiet about this sort of stuff in the future.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I did, but you weren't interested in answering initially! :D:D:D

I'm glad I started this thread. It's taken several interesting turns in the discussion. Very interesting stuff.

I may have to come up with another topic for examination....:eek: ;)
I started one on the Square...

G

Gary

I started one on the Square...
I'm in a bit of a quandry. I've only been exposed to a few lodges in the area: my mother lodge and three other lodges. They seem intent on learning the ritual and, I have to say, their hard work is noticeable. It is a pleasure to sit in lodge with my brethren. However, when I start speculating on the WHY something is in ritual instead of the HOW to do it, I am met with silence or polite disinterest.

I've heard that in other countries Freemasonry is held to a higher standard, but it's striking to hear about it firsthand. I went through all my degrees in two months. Basically all I had to do was memorize the catechism. I have enjoyed my Masonic experience and feel I have gained a family. The thing I really feel is lacking is the education aspect. If we make a man memorize catechisms and ritual, have we made a mason? Have we made a good man better? I don't think we have, necessarily. It is only when we begin to delve into the philosophy of Freemasonry and the meaning behind the symbols that we begin that journey of spiritual alchemy, in my opinion.

It would appear to me that open discussion (even vaguely) on this level is taboo. While this particular discussion has had it's fair share of success, unfortunately, I'm not sure I (personally) want to irritate my brothers any further.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I think of Freemasonry as a personal journey . We have some who can not or do not want to take the time to learn about the deeper meanings and the "Whys'" of it . What I have done is align myself with the few who are more serious about Freemasonry and that is who I have my deeper conversations with . And I have gathered the newer , younger Masons around me , to get them away from the "boys club" mentality of the older generation (not saying all the older generation is in it for a boys club) .

Gary , Brothers like you need to take up the torch for a new generation , take it upon yourself to learn and to teach the new Masons the deeper meaning of things . If your lodge is unwilling to have education at their stated meetings , then get together in one of your homes and talk about Freemasonry .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Oh , and I forgot . You are probably met with silence , not because it is taboo , but because the older Brothers may not know the answer . Find that answer on your own then enlighten them .

G

Gary

Thanks for the advice. I have discovered quite a few answers, and would love to share. It just seems like I might have to walk on egg shells to do that.

We have Masonic Education in my Lodge, but it is done by a strict guideline. I will try your suggestions.

As most of you can tell, I'm a free thinker, and and VERY proud to be a Freemason. The one thing I want to avoid however, is coming off like an arrogant rogue "new guy" that has a total disregard for protocol or my obligations.

It is my hope that what I've presented here has been informative, and given cause for deeper thought.

ckeroflite

Bro. Junior Warden
The reason is the equilateral triangle has always been sacred. The sum of all angles of a triangle is of course 180 degrees. Divide by 3 and we get 60 degrees. The compass thus set at 60 degrees alludes to the equilateral triangle and if the two points were united in a straight line, it would form one. And, further, a compass set at 60 degrees can exactly make 6 points on a circle, dividing the circle into 6 equal parts. The points, thus made, with the one in the center, constitute the mystic number seven.

Those 6 points on the circle, when connected with straight lines will form the hexagon (Solomon’s seal, or the Shield of David as it is called).
You know Brother Gary; I think you just lit a light in me. I have been a MM for less than 2months and I have to say your response has made me look at the gauge and the S&C in a new light. You stated that all the angle of a triangle combine equals 180 degrees 60, 60, & 60. The gauge itself is broken into three parts. Maybe 60 degrees is in reference to 8 hours of the day. When we are active in Gods work, and helping distress brothers or working, maybe 60 degrees is all we can give before extending ourselves to much.

G

Gary

Glad I was able to bring some light to you Brother. I learn something new every day. keep asking why, and you'll be amazed at what you find.