appointed Senior Deacon

jaya

Tonight I was honored to be appointed Senior Deacon for the upcoming year. I am Junior Steward right now so that was unexpected. I expected JD this year because of someone jumping out of line but was asked right before the meeting that if I was appointed SD would I take it. I told them whatever the lodge needed me to do I would be willing. Now I have to learn the SD parts and that is a lot. Someone came up afterwords and shook my hand and offered their condolences. The lodge also voted for me to attend Wilkerson College which is a school designed by our GL to help prepare deacons for their year in the east. It is 3 weekends and covers 22 classes. It is a great resource and I am glad the lodge is willing to pay to send me because I would not be able to attend otherwise. This was a great night and our lodge is doing some great things. I just hope I can help that continue.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Congrats Brother. I'm SD for this upcoming Masonic year as well... Is the SD an appointed office in your jurisdiction?

jaya

It is appointed. The only elected offices are WM, SW, JW, Sec. and Tres. Everyone else is appointed.

Hiram's Scouter

Congratulations, sounds like it is going to be a exciting year for you. The Wilkerson College does sound like a great resource.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
Tonight I was honored to be appointed Senior Deacon for the upcoming year. This was a great night and our lodge is doing some great things. I just hope I can help that continue.
Congratulations, I think SD is the best appointed position in Blue Lodge, if you learn your parts well, it will serve you very well in all the other chairs you set in, elected or appointed.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Congrats! That's the best seat in the house if you ask me.

I was the JS this year for my Lodge. I'll be the SS next year. I'd much rather have the SD spot, but I have to wait my turn even though I know the parts better than those ahead of me in "line". Except for degree work, I really don't like being a Steward. It's boring.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
Ummm.... LOL Why do I get the feeling I'd be losing in that little trade... :confused:

The worst part of being Secretary is --------------------------- it is a life sentence in my lodge:1-sigh:.

But at least I know what is going to happen during all the lodge meetings --- before it happens.:1-wink-grin:

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Tonight I was honored to be appointed Senior Deacon for the upcoming year. I am Junior Steward right now so that was unexpected. I expected JD this year because of someone jumping out of line but was asked right before the meeting that if I was appointed SD would I take it. I told them whatever the lodge needed me to do I would be willing. Now I have to learn the SD parts and that is a lot. Someone came up afterwords and shook my hand and offered their condolences. The lodge also voted for me to attend Wilkerson College which is a school designed by our GL to help prepare deacons for their year in the east. It is 3 weekends and covers 22 classes. It is a great resource and I am glad the lodge is willing to pay to send me because I would not be able to attend otherwise. This was a great night and our lodge is doing some great things. I just hope I can help that continue.
My brother, there are two kinds of Masonry....

Good luck. I hope you started the memory work last year :1-pray:

jaya

Thank you all.

No I have not started memorizing the SD part yet. I do know the opening and closing parts because I have sat in that chair before. I had not even expected that I would skip 2 chairs. It all happened suddenly last night when the person that was moving to SD informed us that he would like to remain steward due to his work schedule and not being able to devote the needed time for the position. He did what was best for the lodge and I respect him for that. I am going to be working with a coach to learn the degree parts for SD. It looks like we have an EA and 2 MM degrees possibly next month after we are installed.

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Congrats Jaya. My first officer position was the SD and you learn so much in that place in the Lodge.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Congrats Jaya. My first officer position was the SD and you learn so much in that place in the Lodge.
Is my jurisdition the only one that elects the Deacons? We elect the WM, S & JW's, Treas., Sec., S & JD's, Tyler, and a Trustee for a three year term.

We elect a trustee for three years, we have a total of three and one comes up for election every year.

WM,SW,JW, Sec & Tres are only other elected gigs