Osama bin Laden killed in shootout, Obama says

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was killed in a firefight with U.S. forces in Pakistan on Sunday, President Barack Obama announced, ending a nearly 10-year worldwide hunt for the mastermind of the September 11 attacks.

"Justice has been done," Obama said in a hastily called, late-night White House speech revealing the death of the elusive head of the militant Islamic group behind a series of bloody attacks in cities across the world.

His death, confirmed by officials in Pakistan, was a huge symbolic blow to al Qaeda, which has been beaten back but is still a threat in many countries.

It prompted jubilant flag-waving celebrations in Washington and New York. It was the biggest national security victory for Obama since he took office in early 2009 and could give him a political boost as he seeks re-election in 2012.

more Osama bin Laden killed in shootout, Obama says | Reuters

I am kinda curious as to why the buried him at sea so fast.....I understand the no shrine bit they are reporting....just seems odd to me.....anyway......a standing ovation to the members of Seal Team VI

DavisB

It prompted jubilant flag-waving celebrations in Washington and New York. It was the biggest national security victory for Obama since he took office in early 2009 and could give him a political boost as he seeks re-election in 2012.
This is the part that I find disturbing. I understand that Osama Bin Laden committed terrible crimes in his life, but I can only see the celebration at the death of a man as tasteless and unnecessary. I remember after 9/11 when the news media reported that there was people who were celebrating in the middle East, and I don't see how this now makes us any different. Watching people wave flags outside the White House because a man has been killed brings me no comfort about the world that I am living in.

M

Martlet

This is the part that I find disturbing. I understand that Osama Bin Laden committed terrible crimes in his life, but I can only see the celebration at the death of a man as tasteless and unnecessary. I remember after 9/11 when the news media reported that there was people who were celebrating in the middle East, and I don't see how this now makes us any different. Watching people wave flags outside the White House because a man has been killed brings me no comfort about the world that I am living in.
Really? You don't see the difference between people celebrating justice brought to a genocidal mass murderer and people cheering at the murder of thousands of innocents?

If not, I think your perspective gene is missing.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Really? You don't see the difference between people celebrating justice brought to a genocidal mass murderer and people cheering at the murder of thousands of innocents?

We thought it tasteless when Arabs celebrated in the streets after the 9/11 attacks. They felt The Great Satan (USA) had been dealt a blow. It was not viewed as the murder of innocents; they were Americans working to destroy Islam.

Any celebration on the death of a person is tasteless.

S&F

DavisB

Yes. I do see the difference. And I believe that for some this brought closure. But regardless of the sins of any man, I do not think that death is ever something that should be celebrated.

johnj1582

From brother Samuel L. Clemens: The War Prayer, by Mark Twain

Let's also remember the story of the Red Sea. An oral tradition tells us that Moses, after passing through the Red Sea, offered a prayer of thanks at the destruction of army of Egypt. In the oral tradition, the response of G-d is "Do you not know that these were also my children?"

I wish that we could harbor a similar sentiment on Earth. YES, Osama bin Laden was responsible for TERRIBLE things in his life, but nothing a man can do can make him any less a child of god. Somewhere in all that dark and all that evil, there was a spark of the Divine light.

It is patently un-masonic to revel in the death of a fellow man, no matter how evil he may be.

DavisB

From brother Samuel L. Clemens: The War Prayer, by Mark Twain

Let's also remember the story of the Red Sea. An oral tradition tells us that Moses, after passing through the Red Sea, offered a prayer of thanks at the destruction of army of Egypt. In the oral tradition, the response of G-d is "Do you not know that these were also my children?"

I wish that we could harbor a similar sentiment on Earth. YES, Osama bin Laden was responsible for TERRIBLE things in his life, but nothing a man can do can make him any less a child of god. Somewhere in all that dark and all that evil, there was a spark of the Divine light.

It is patently un-masonic to revel in the death of a fellow man, no matter how evil he may be.
I couldn't agree more. Excellently said.

M

Martlet

I couldn't agree more. Excellently said.
I couldn't disagree more. I take great pleasure knowing he was brought to justice for his crimes against humanity, and is no longer able to plot the deaths of innocents.

M

Martlet

We thought it tasteless when Arabs celebrated in the streets after the 9/11 attacks. They felt The Great Satan (USA) had been dealt a blow. It was not viewed as the murder of innocents; they were Americans working to destroy Islam.

Any celebration on the death of a person is tasteless.

S&F
Again, if you can't see the difference, I really can't help you. Mourn his passing. I won't stop you. You'll get some odd looks if you do it on my base, though.

Robert Birtch

DeMolay/Freemason
I'm with Martlet, here. If we'd kept him alive and brought him here for a trial, he would have hung. We saved valuable resources by killing him outright, rather than wasting time on a trial to a man who confessed to the crime.

DavisB

Again, if you can't see the difference, I really can't help you. Mourn his passing. I won't stop you. You'll get some odd looks if you do it on my base, though.
I don't think its an issue of not having perspective. I think its an issue of only being able to see one perspective. I see where people might see a difference, but I still think that both parties are wrong.

DavisB

I'm with Martlet, here. If we'd kept him alive and brought him here for a trial, he would have hung. We saved valuable resources by killing him outright, rather than wasting time on a trial to a man who confessed to the crime.
I was not so upset about the idea of his death as the way people reacted to it. I understand that due to the laws of our country and the world, that if and when he was ever found, he would be killed. I simply think that celebrating in the streets that a man (no matter how terrible the crimes he committed) has been killed is a terrible thing. I do not think that death should ever been celebrated, but that we should constantly hope and pray for peace.

johnj1582

wow that's a spin... now just because one says it's in poor taste to break out the confetti and champagne over his death, they are Osama MOURNERS.

lololololololololololol

no. nice try, though.

i am not saying we should mourn him, just that we should respect that we share a creator. if you CAN see a difference between the street celebrations in the middle east on 9-11-01 and the street celebrations in washington on sunday, you're doing it wrong. people celebrating the death of people is disgusting, no matter who does it. it's not a good look. it just makes us look like a bunch of savages.

also, i don't think anyone said we shouldn't have killed him outright, or brought him here for a trial, or anything to that extent.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
First off , let's all stay calm here .

I will have to admit that I found the jubilant celebrations disturbing . My wife broke the news to me and all she received was a nod of my head . I am glad that we found justice but I am not taking it to the streets to sing Queen's 'We Are the Champions" for two reasons . First , I found it all extremely disturbing and secondly , this really changes nothing . One more radical will step up to take his place . When and if terrorism is completely eradicated , THEN we can take it to the streets .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
The issue I have with the focus on OBL is that he is NOT the leader of Le Qaeda. He helped found "The Camp", a training facility, which produced many, many terrorists. Le Qaeda has no hierarchical structure, each 'unit' is independent and autonomous and while they might take direction from OBL, they are required to. That is their strength, there is no head only parts, kinda like a starfish. It is also our weakness, that hierarchical organization is so ingrained in our thought processes that it is our blind spot.

YouTube - Osama Bin Laden dead- body identified

Tongue-in-cheek comment: kinda like our GLs.

G

Gary

First off , let's all stay calm here .

I will have to admit that I found the jubilant celebrations disturbing . My wife broke the news to me and all she received was a nod of my head . I am glad that we found justice but I am not taking it to the streets to sing Queen's 'We Are the Champions" for two reasons . First , I found it all extremely disturbing and secondly , this really changes nothing . One more radical will step up to take his place . When and if terrorism is completely eradicated , THEN we can take it to the streets .
Exactly my thought as well.

I will say that I have no problem flying the national Ensign, and raising a pint for SEAL Team Six, and our brave men and women in our armed forces though. Justice was served, but it ain't the end of terrorism.

G

Gary

The issue I have with the focus on OBL is that he is NOT the leader of Le Qaeda. He helped found "The Camp", a training facility, which produced many, many terrorists. Le Qaeda has no hierarchical structure, each 'unit' is independent and autonomous and while they might take direction from OBL, they are required to. That is their strength, there is no head only parts, kinda like a starfish. It is also our weakness, that hierarchical organization is so ingrained in our thought processes that it is our blind spot.

YouTube - Osama Bin Laden dead- body identified

Tongue-in-cheek comment: kinda like our GLs.
You speak of splinter cells. Funny thing though...You know how to kill a starfish? You don't cut off the arms...You stab it in the center of it's body.

Bin Laden was the inspiration and center mass of their jihad towards the west. He obviously didn't run every aspect, but he was their guru. We stuck the starfish, but haven't terminated it's existence yet.

The goal is to disrupt their central organization, and the cells will have trouble re-organizing their operations. it's easier to extinguish splinter cells than it is to kill of a large force. Basic tactics 101...Sun Tzu- The Art of War

M

Martlet

wow that's a spin... now just because one says it's in poor taste to break out the confetti and champagne over his death, they are Osama MOURNERS.

lololololololololololol

no. nice try, though.

i am not saying we should mourn him, just that we should respect that we share a creator. if you CAN see a difference between the street celebrations in the middle east on 9-11-01 and the street celebrations in washington on sunday, you're doing it wrong. people celebrating the death of people is disgusting, no matter who does it. it's not a good look. it just makes us look like a bunch of savages.

also, i don't think anyone said we shouldn't have killed him outright, or brought him here for a trial, or anything to that extent.
It's not a spin at all. If you don't celebrate his death, why wouldn't you mourn it? Is it just that you don't care that he's dead? If so, then what's the difference? Using your logic, it's just as bad to be indifferent.

I recognize we share a creator. What does that have to do with anything? He was a terrorist. The creator gave us free will. He chose to kill innocents. I celebrate the removal of a man when his death saves innocent life.

Weep for him. It matters not to me. I'll continue hunting his kind down and having a beer after a good days work.

Status
Not open for further replies.