Osama bin Laden killed in shootout, Obama says

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a great pleasure to read Coach's little bit of "Masonic Education" on this thread (not to mention ALL of his wisdom on MANY threads, of course)!

CoachN

Builder Builder
The thanks should go to Martlet. Had he not provided such excellent material, I would have struggled to share what I did.

I also believe I said nothing that wasn't already seen by all who read his posts. I merely pointed things out in writing so that others who stumbled across this thread would have opportunity to see Masonic Education in action.

G

Gary

The thanks should go to Martlet. Had he not provided such excellent material, I would have struggled to share what I did.

I also believe I said nothing that wasn't already seen by all who read his posts. I merely pointed things out in writing so that others who stumbled across this thread would have opportunity to see Masonic Education in action.
You would have struggled to share??? yeah right... <see how humble he is!> but what's so inspiring, is that you do that so effortlessly...

Thanks Coach.......

Bro Gary.....ease your finger back on that trigger:p...no one has to get unruly here:D:D...lol
I got my eye on you hose jockey! :D You know I love ya man!

You would have struggled to share??? yeah right... <see how humble he is!> but what's so inspiring, is that you do that so effortlessly...

I got my eye on you hose jockey! :D You know I love ya man!
Luv ya too Bro:D...but you know I am a Truck guy;)....I could take offense to that hose jockey name...:p:D:D:eek:

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer

Golly, that's like the hunters who respectfully thank the deer for providing a target!

S&F

Bro Franks.... I am not a hunter but I do know a guy that is an avid hunter and right before he pulls the trigger, he says "Thank You Lord"....

CoachN

Builder Builder
Golly, that's like the hunters who respectfully thank the deer for providing a target!

S&F
I've been told it's a "zen" thing.

I think though that it's more a "knee-jerk" reaction that occurs when offered fish in a barrel.

I'm leaning more toward believing it's a twisted mixture of both.

And now back to the original topic.....I was listening to a program over my lunch hour dealing with how younger people (late teens into their 20's) reacted much more celebratory towards this event than some of us older folks. It was, for the most part, the 20 something (especially college aged) young men and women who were publicly celebrating en mass. The program was quite interesting. OBL has been the symbol of evil and terror for all or most of their cognitive life. I was thinking about how we travelled a lot by air on family vacations in the days before and after 9/11. How that suddenly became a lot more "difficult". My daughters could no longer go back on the concourse to say good bye to their grandparents. The long lines and searches at security. We'd land in Frankfurt, Germany and the airport would be crawling with soldiers in fatigues with automatic weapons. My oldest daughter was 10 at the time. This must have had a much bigger impact on her, than on me or her mother. She's 20 and a college sophomore now. We (my daughter and I) don't discuss politics or current events all that much. But I got a text that night. It was something like this. "DAD!! DID YOU HEAR THE NEWS?!!! YOU GOTTA TURN ON THE TV NOW!!!". About 3 minutes later I got a similar text from my 26 year old Stepson. They were the only two people I heard from. Not my Dad, or brother or sister, or Masonic Brothers. Just my 20 something kids. This was the biggest news of their lives since 9-11.

DavisB

And now back to the original topic.....I was listening to a program over my lunch hour dealing with how younger people (late teens into their 20's) reacted much more celebratory towards this event than some of us older folks. It was, for the most part, the 20 something (especially college aged) young men and women who were publicly celebrating en mass. The program was quite interesting. OBL has been the symbol of evil and terror for all or most of their cognitive life. I was thinking about how we travelled a lot by air on family vacations in the days before and after 9/11. How that suddenly became a lot more "difficult". My daughters could no longer go back on the concourse to say good bye to their grandparents. The long lines and searches at security. We'd land in Frankfurt, Germany and the airport would be crawling with soldiers in fatigues with automatic weapons. My oldest daughter was 10 at the time. This must have had a much bigger impact on her, than on me or her mother. She's 20 and a college sophomore now. We (my daughter and I) don't discuss politics or current events all that much. But I got a text that night. It was something like this. "DAD!! DID YOU HEAR THE NEWS?!!! YOU GOTTA TURN ON THE TV NOW!!!". About 3 minutes later I got a similar text from my 26 year old Stepson. They were the only two people I heard from. Not my Dad, or brother or sister, or Masonic Brothers. Just my 20 something kids. This was the biggest news of their lives since 9-11.
I can see how that might have been the case, and on TV it did look like many of the people were college age. In fact I know a former classmate who is currently attending GWU who's Facebook picture is a screen shot of his face that was on FOX News outside the White House the night of the news. But not everyone who is that age was taking to the streets. I know I definitely wasn't.

I can see how that might have been the case, and on TV it did look like many of the people were college age. In fact I know a former classmate who is currently attending GWU who's Facebook picture is a screen shot of his face that was on FOX News outside the White House the night of the news. But not everyone who is that age was taking to the streets. I know I definitely wasn't.
No. Didn't mean to make it sound like everyone of that age was out on the streets. My kids weren't either. It was just a generalization that it may have had a bigger impact on them, then say, guys like me in mid 40's.

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
A 21 year old coworker of mine kept saying, "Why is it all over the TV? Its on every station?" I said, "The Royal Wedding? Because people have nothing better to do..." he stopped me and said, "No, that Osama got killed." <eyeroll>

There was one 22 year old who couldn't tell me that he was the mastermind of the 9-11 attacks.

A 21 year old coworker of mine kept saying, "Why is it all over the TV? Its on every station?" I said, "The Royal Wedding? Because people have nothing better to do..." he stopped me and said, "No, that Osama got killed." <eyeroll>

There was one 22 year old who couldn't tell me that he was the mastermind of the 9-11 attacks.
Oh well. At least he didn't say "that Obama got killed"

Oh well. At least he didn't say "that Obama got killed"
That being said, the president has been working hard with the intelligence services to make sure the next Number One Most wanted terrorist does not have a name similar to his. The new number one is a propane dealer from Kandahar named Mitt bin Romney:D

That being said, the president has been working hard with the intelligence services to make sure the next Number One Most wanted terrorist does not have a name similar to his. The new number one is a propane dealer from Kandahar named Mitt bin Romney:D
NOW that was funny:D:D............if you had mentioned _onald _rump:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes::eek: ( I wont mention who I like to listen to.....since we dont discuss politics:p)..LOL...it wouldnt be funny....NA...it would be funny with him too...:D:D:D

DavisB

No. Didn't mean to make it sound like everyone of that age was out on the streets. My kids weren't either. It was just a generalization that it may have had a bigger impact on them, then say, guys like me in mid 40's.
Oh I wasn't trying to be defensive or anything. And I think that I do agree with you that 9/11 has been the biggest political/world changing event in my lifetime, especially when it comes to daily impacts on my life. I guess I just don't see how this changes anything. I don't believe that it will end any war, or even lessen the amount of conflict. There are others who will take his place, and who will undoubtedly want revenge for what has happened. Even if you move past the whole death aspect, I don't see why this is anything to be celebrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.