Proper wearing of a Masonic Ring

DOLLARBILL

when wearing a masons ring should the points of the compass be pointing out towards your finger tips or towards your wrist ?? Thank you in advance !

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
You will find the answer to be either way, depending on who you ask. Some say for the S&C to point towards you to remind you of your obligations. Some say the other way for other reasons. I've come to the conclusion there is no "proper" way. I tend to wear mine with the S&C towards me, but somethings I put it on without looking which way it is going.

cavetter

It depends what jurisdiction you're in. I was told that you wear your ring with the point towards you, because it's a reminder of your obligation when you take someone by the hand. It's the way you saw the light. When you're a Past Master, you turn the points out, because it's how you saw the Lights from the East.

RevDrCLRogersSr

For some such as myself, my ring has the S&C on one side with Shriner emblem above, 32nd degree topward front, symbol for the Lodge of Perfection opposite the 32nd degree, and a cross which is symbolic for the York Rite Illustrious Order of the Red Cross.
I will say however, my wife gave me a watch some years ago with the S&C on the face with the points of the compass pointed toward me when I look at it; and on a limited edition watch that I purchased through the Grand Lodge of Texas this year there is the S&C at the twelve o'clock position - again pointing toward the wearer when they look at the time.
With all of this in mind, and reflecting upon the other posts, I would say that for a ring with the S&C on top it would be preferable to wear it with the points facing inward toward the body (wrist).

pdobbins2

Past Master
The Code of the GL of North Carolina does not specify.
I work in industrial maintenance, SO I don't wear a ring of any kind.

Winter

I've been here before
When I got my first ring I was told that if you wear your ring with the points of the compasses pointing towards the tips of your fingers you are wearing the ring to show the world that you are a Mason. And if you wear the ring with the points of the compasses facing towards your wrist you are wearing it to remind yourself that you are a Mason.

I was told that there is no "right" way and you will find as many traditions as there are jurisdictions.

Whatever way you wear your ring, as long as you act like a Mason, it is the right way! :cool:

Wally

As a signet ring, wear it with points facing away.

If you were to make a fist and dip your ring in hot wax to make an impression it would be akward to have to turn your wrist 180 to make your mark.

Winter

I've been here before
Since I'm not in the habit of using my ring as a signet, it's not that much of a problem! :)

DOLLARBILL

Brothers Thank you for your respones,I was taught to wear it with S&C towards the body! In conversation of late some of my brothers have had this debate Im leening towards wearing it with pride is the only way to wear it ! Again Thank YOU !

BroGregWilson

I was raised to MM in Florida and I was told that the S&C should point toward those who I come in contact with to identify me as a Mason. Now, as a New Jersey Mason, I noticed that the Brothers where their rings with the S&C facing them. I really feel that, as long as I wear it with pride and honor the Craft in so doing, it really doesn't matter.

Fraternally,

Brother Greg

cemab4y

I have seen the ring worn both ways. In Northern states, I often see the ring facing upwards. In the south, I most often see the ring with the points facing outward. There is no universal directive.

The direction of the man is much more important than the direction of the ring.

iMav

-==-
It is also commonly accepted (at least in the US), that you don't wear a ring until you are a MM. Is that correct?

The explanation I've read is that you shouldn't be wearing symbols that identify you as a Mason until you've been properly "schooled" in their meanings (having gone through all three degrees).

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I can not speak for other jurisdictions , but in KY this is true . An EA or FC is not allowed to wear Masonic insignias .

I think it is because they do not know enough to prove themselves Masons and also about subduing their passions and knowing there is a time and place for everything . Take for example last night , the wife and I were out at a Halloween event , I was wearing my favorite S & C ball cap . As I walked past a young man , he said "well hello good sir" and reached out to shake my hand and proceded to give me not one grip but all of them , in front of hundreds of people AND my wife . I smiled politely , said hello and shook his hand as if he were anyone else . Now , if that happened back when I was an EA , I would have been so excited to have been pointed out as a Mason that I would have thrown the grip on him and started talking about Freemasonry with him and showed myself being capable of general jackassery .

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
It is also commonly accepted (at least in the US), that you don't wear a ring until you are a MM. Is that correct?

The explanation I've read is that you shouldn't be wearing symbols that identify you as a Mason until you've been properly "schooled" in their meanings (having gone through all three degrees).
More than that, Mav, you shouldn't wear the trappings of a Master Mason until you are one. Now, I have seen rings and other jewelry made for and that are appropriate to EA's & FC's, but inasmuch as EA's & FC's don't generally stay that way for very long (particularly here in the USA), I can't imagine too many people buying them. A Lodge may invest in EA and FC lapel pins that are passed down from one candidate to the next, I suppose, but once again, the candidate these days doesn't remain one long enough to make the investment worthwhile.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
This is true also . I think we had that convo on here before with a Brother from another part of the world .

Azpir8king

I wear my rings with the S&C outward.....so I can easily detach them and throw them as Mini-Ninja stars, subduing my opponent with the greatest of ease.....or did I just dream that? wait, why am I typing slightly out of sync with what I am thinking?

berthemp

When I got my first ring I was told that if you wear your ring with the points of the compasses pointing towards the tips of your fingers you are wearing the ring to show the world that you are a Mason. And if you wear the ring with the points of the compasses facing towards your wrist you are wearing it to remind yourself that you are a Mason.

I was told that there is no "right" way and you will find as many traditions as there are jurisdictions.

Whatever way you wear your ring, as long as you act like a Mason, it is the right way! :cool:
Well said. I asked this question the day I was raised. Nobody really knew. According to our DDGL, Arizona has no "correct" way to wear it. Just wear it "with pleasure to yourself and with honor to the fraternity!"