Proper wearing of a Masonic Ring

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
If you're looking for a good starter Masonic ring-- one that gives you a good idea what you're really looking for in a ring-- I recommend Amazon.com: Men's Young Line Swarovski Crystal Masonic Ring, Size: 8-13: Jewelry The price varies at times (I got mine when it was $12) and it's been a great ring! It looks good, feels sturdy, but I don't feel bad if it gets nicked or scratched because it was under $20.
I started with a gold plated ring I got off ebay ($8.64 including shipping) and after a very short time it was turning my finger all sorts of disturbing colors :eek:

Then a friend and I went to a Camping and Trailer show (I have owned a camper for a few years) and he noticed the ring. He mentioned that his father and grandfather were both Masons and offered the loan of one of their rings to me. The deal was that if he became a Mason he wanted the ring back. One of the rings was 14K gold and fit my pinky perfectly so I became the "Goomba Mason" (I'm Italian so I can get away with that ;) ).

I didn't feel comfortable wearing somebody else's ring, though. What if I lost it? So I called up the Jeweler my family has been doing business with for three generations, Freedman Jewelers in Boston, and asked if he had any Masonic rings. The owner's father was a Mason and he had a tray of rings he thought I might like. I went in and one of the rings jumped up out of the tray and yelled, "Take me home!". It has a sapphire (my birth stone) with the S&C and G mounted in the center and lots of Masonic symbols on the sides. Not only the working tools, but a sprig of acacia, tessellated trim around the mounting of the stone, different types of columns supporting the stone mount, and even a "Travelling Man". I couldn't believe how beautiful this ring was. We negotiated for a while and came up with a price I could afford. The only real shocker was the price of resizing it. It had to be made three sizes larger and that set me back $150! Even so, the ring was independently appraised at more then double what I paid.

I wear it whenever I'm not sleeping and have gotten lots of compliments on it.

VinnyC

Did he give u the tattoo under UV light? How was it done? Pretty sweet if you ask me.

Speaking of masonic tats...here's mine....I went with the points out so the person looking at it could read the "2B1 ASK1" around it.I put this in another thread...Its a UV tattoo, only visible under Black light.

thebrianmo

I started with a gold plated ring I got off ebay ($8.64 including shipping) and after a very short time it was turning my finger all sorts of disturbing colors
I purchased both of my rings on ebay and in my experience if you use 925Collections, you will have very good results. I paid about $20.00 for each ring and neither of them has turned my finger any color other than what it should be and I wear a ring every day, have since the day I was raised. Occasionally I take it off to shower, but not too often. It's a great quality ring that I've grown attached to. I'm actually looking at picking up a third ring from them.

I take a size 15 ring and it's harder to find those online for an affordable price.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I purchased both of my rings on ebay and in my experience if you use 925Collections, you will have very good results. I paid about $20.00 for each ring and neither of them has turned my finger any color other than what it should be and I wear a ring every day, have since the day I was raised. Occasionally I take it off to shower, but not too often. It's a great quality ring that I've grown attached to. I'm actually looking at picking up a third ring from them.

I take a size 15 ring and it's harder to find those online for an affordable price.
I have since bought a 14K gold ring from a local jeweler. It has a lot of the working tools on the sides and a sapphire (my birthstone) under the S&C. I feel naked when I forget to put it on in the morning :)

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Speaking of masonic tats...here's mine....I went with the points out so the person looking at it could read the "2B1 ASK1" around it.I put this in another thread...Its a UV tattoo, only visible under Black light.
I'm not much into visible skin art, so I inquired locally about a UV tattoo.
All but one shop claimed never to have heard of them.
The only shop that would talk about them put on a guy who first said it would be very expensive to order the special ink, which would deteriorate quickly, i.e., it would be very expensive because no one else would want any.
Then he started going into the "you should be proud of a tattoo" spiel, and said that a UV tattoo would essentially be hypocritical.
This is what happens when you live in a town of 35K.

S&F

danmoran

Wearing of the ring

Personally, I wear the ring with the points of the compass down towards the fingers. In our state you'll see it worn both ways, in fact some will attempt to correct and get another to wear it with the points toward the wrist. The truth is there is no right or wrong way to wear it.

Why I wear it with the points towards the fingers, is that I was made a Mason in the heart. Everyday I'm already aware of my obligations. Whether I look at it right side up or upside down I know that I am a Mason. The man whom I approach on the street would not know one way or the other, so the ring is an outward symbol to him and I believe he needs to see it the way it would appear above the local lodge.

Its simply my preference. :)

Azpir8king

I'm not much into visible skin art, so I inquired locally about a UV tattoo.
All but one shop claimed never to have heard of them.
The only shop that would talk about them put on a guy who first said it would be very expensive to order the special ink, which would deteriorate quickly, i.e., it would be very expensive because no one else would want any.
Then he started going into the "you should be proud of a tattoo" spiel, and said that a UV tattoo would essentially be hypocritical.
This is what happens when you live in a town of 35K.

S&F
Yep. He's a goofus. I have to meet with clients (sale and marketing manager). I have to cover my other tats when at work (I have also keep them above the short sleeve line and off my neck, etc). He probably does not hold that sort of job (and will find it difficult to get that sort of job with tats up and down his arm. Sorry, its the truth). So, Rather than roll up a sleeve at Lodge (kinda difficult in a jacket) to show off my cool masonic tattoo, I flip on a little black light and can show my tattoo to WHO I choose WHEN I choose. Sounds like a much better plan to me.

It takes a skilled tattoo artist, not a hack to work with the ink. Its thinner and the lines have to go deep and straight. The ink is more expensive by double, so expect to pay about 25% to 35% more than for a similar tattoo. The smart artists advertise they do UV and the burn thru that expensive ink PDQ. After 7-10 years, the "glow" elements start to deteriorate, so you have to touch it up. The Ink is FDA approved.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Yep. He's a goofus. I have to meet with clients (sale and marketing manager). I have to cover my other tats when at work (I have also keep them above the short sleeve line and off my neck, etc). He probably does not hold that sort of job (and will find it difficult to get that sort of job with tats up and down his arm. Sorry, its the truth). So, Rather than roll up a sleeve at Lodge (kinda difficult in a jacket) to show off my cool masonic tattoo, I flip on a little black light and can show my tattoo to WHO I choose WHEN I choose. Sounds like a much better plan to me.

It takes a skilled tattoo artist, not a hack to work with the ink. Its thinner and the lines have to go deep and straight. The ink is more expensive by double, so expect to pay about 25% to 35% more than for a similar tattoo. The smart artists advertise they do UV and the burn thru that expensive ink PDQ. After 7-10 years, the "glow" elements start to deteriorate, so you have to touch it up. The Ink is FDA approved.
Thanks!

S&F

batman820

I was taught by my Father that we wear it with the S & C pointing to us, as a reminder of our obligation. Also as all know we know each other ................ In one way or another...