So whats going on ???

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
It has been terribly quiet of late in here . So tell me what has been going on Masonicly in your lodge or area ?

We have been busy with degree work in my two lodges , I am gearing up for Grand Lodge , I have been lecturing new Masons , studying for YR degrees (the MEM & RA) .

FF Sparky

Hey Ashlar, I'm in and out all day everyday. But haven't had anything new to post here. Our Lodge is gearing up to confer the EA degree on 3 members, 2 of them are friends of mine. I hope I can participate in it, instead of sitting on the side lines. I will show up for the rehearsals. Maybe I will end up as a JS as members don't really show up and they always have to fill chairs.

On another note I will be searching for a second Lodge soon, I recently found out that there isn't any Masonic Education in my Lodge. How do you make a good man better by watching degrees?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Study up on a short lecture , such as the Apron Lecture , and ask if you may deliver it during the degree . I know I am as pleased as punch to allow a brother or brothers from the sidelines get up to help with the degree .

If there is no Masonic education in your lodge , make it your mission to make that change and introduce it into your lodge . Start talking to the Master about it .

FF Sparky

I will be getting a copy of our ritual tomorrow night and look forward to learning it.

I don't know enough to start some kind of group or lecture on Masonry yet, but I keep searching and learning here and elsewhere. So hopefully I will be able to do something in the near future.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
There are many short talks that you could read in lodge for education , you do not have to write your own papers , talks ,lectures etc; etc; .

The MSANA ...Masonic Service Association of North America ... has many great short talks . Most lodge Secretaries receive these every month or you can order them for yourself . Find some that bangs your shudders and read it in lodge .

Winter

I've been here before
I will be getting a copy of our ritual tomorrow night and look forward to learning it.

I don't know enough to start some kind of group or lecture on Masonry yet, but I keep searching and learning here and elsewhere. So hopefully I will be able to do something in the near future.
You have identified the problems:

A: Your Lodge doesn't have a Masonic Education Program
B: You don't know enough to implement one

Here is how you can solve both of those.

Every day read one article (takes 5-10 minutes) from Pietre-Stones website.
FREEMASONS Magazine | PS Review of Freemasonry
There are other reputable Masonic education sites, but this has always been one of my favorites.

This will give you something to talk about whenever you run into Brothers. "So I was reading this article the other day..."

Bring up the articles at Lodge. "Worshipful Master, with your permission, I would like to tell the Lodge about a great Masonic paper I read the other day."

Work at getting other Brothers to participate. Make sure your Lodge has a Facebook page and use it as a forum to discuss Masonic information and put a Masonic link on there every day that looks interesting. Get the Brothers talking! Have a Masonic quizbowl. Put up a cheap prize. Start a Masonic lending library and ask brothers to donate a book to it. Get creative!

The biggest hurdle you are going to find is getting our Brothers to actually read! But it is not impossible. The first challenge is to educate yourself.

Here is another site to help.

MASONIC EDUCATION, Craft Lodge Instruction, Freemason MasoniSymbols, Fast Track.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Great links and advice Winter .

I have posted this before but will do it again . As Winter stated 'Work at getting Brothers to participate" . What I did when I was new to the Craft was find brothers who were open to new ideas , dropped hints , talked up programs , and either had them back my play or allow them to start the new programs themselves . If you get enough of the "older" brethren behind you will make it easier to get your program , be it an education program or what have you off the ground .

Those links Winter posted are great , but you may ask right here for a short talk papers also . I know Bro. Gary has been working on some .

Zack

On another note I will be searching for a second Lodge soon, I recently found out that there isn't any Masonic Education in my Lodge. How do you make a good man better by watching degrees?
Please don'tthink there is nothing to be learned from ritual. Perhaps "watching degrees won't make a good man better, but imo it is as good a starting point as any.

Ritual is but one vehicle used to deliver Masonic knowledge. There are many lessons inculcated in it. It may be necessary to look beyond the words and use that as a starting point to further ones Masonic knowledge.

G

Gary

Please don'tthink there is nothing to be learned from ritual. Perhaps "watching degrees won't make a good man better, but imo it is as good a starting point as any.

Ritual is but one vehicle used to deliver Masonic knowledge. There are many lessons inculcated in it. It may be necessary to look beyond the words and use that as a starting point to further ones Masonic knowledge.
I agree with Bro. Zack. I have to admit, my first big step in learning was having a few brothers coax me to attend as many degrees as I could. Not only did I enjoy sitting in Lodge, but the lessons really started to sink in after a while. Once you are familiar with the basics, you can really focus on the little details.

Every time I attend one, I learn something new. Not only that, but I really enjoy good Ritual work! Those guys that do the lectures blow my mind.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I agree with Bro. Zack. I have to admit, my first big step in learning was having a few brothers coax me to attend as many degrees as I could. Not only did I enjoy sitting in Lodge, but the lessons really started to sink in after a while. Once you are familiar with the basics, you can really focus on the little details.

Every time I attend one, I learn something new. Not only that, but I really enjoy good Ritual work! Those guys that do the lectures blow my mind.
I am with you Bro. Gary! I love watching ritual, good or bad. I learn from them all. Visiting other Lodges lets me see how other Brothers interact, the dynamics are interesting.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia

I have to agree also . I try to attend as many degrees in as many lodges as I can . Luckily , we do not have a mandatory , written in stone statewide ritual (though they are trying to change that) , so each lodge has it's own flavor and style and I learn something new each time I attend a degree at various lodges . Which in turn , I incorporate into my own ritual work .

FF Sparky

Went to Lodge last night, and I was asked to be the Tyler (pro-tem?). Tyhen after the meeting I was ask if I would be interested in the Tylers or Marshal position. I was happy that they asked. I was also asked if I would give the EA lecture. Of course I said yes to this. I have 2 friends of mine going thru the degree that night. Hopefully these things will get my foot in the door for more.

G

Gary

So what did you accept? The Tylers position? Do you have the EA lecture memorized?

FF Sparky

I think I will take the Tylers position. I have the EA lecture down fairly good, should have it perfected by degree night.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Great news Brother ^

We have an EA tonight and in two weeks I believe. I'm giving the Charge for both and might be guiding one.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
We voted last night to accept another candidate for the degrees, as we did at our meeting 2 weeks ago. We have an awards night and elections coming up, so the Initiation is scheduled for the second meeting in November. This Lodge does NOT like to have emergent communications!
I suggested we needed to do each candidate on a separate night, as it's been so long since we've done an EA Degree, we need the practice, but it was dismissed. :(

S&F

G

Gary

I think I will take the Tylers position. I have the EA lecture down fairly good, should have it perfected by degree night.
That's awesome! I have yet to learn a lecture. Maybe someday...

We voted last night to accept another candidate for the degrees, as we did at our meeting 2 weeks ago. We have an awards night and elections coming up, so the Initiation is scheduled for the second meeting in November. This Lodge does NOT like to have emergent communications!
I suggested we needed to do each candidate on a separate night, as it's been so long since we've done an EA Degree, we need the practice, but it was dismissed. :(

S&F
That's great that you have two candidates, but it's a shame the Lodge didn't see fit to give them each an individual initiatory experience. :(

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
1 EA who disappeared for the summer (owns his business)
1 petition
awards night
Just came back from going 'gray' (1 meeting a month)
Just finished a blood drive
Going to resurrect the Rusty Nail Degree