Tyled Forums?

Should FMH develop Tyled Forums?

• Yes, it's long over due

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Yes, as long as there were rules in place.

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Not only no, Heck No!

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
Still the same worries though. All the good stuff slowly drifts to the restricted forum. No attractive material for the newbies. Old guys slowly but surely fade away one by one (whatever happened to Patrick) and next thing you know, it's only a few of you brighter guys trying to pound the light through my thick skull!

Ashlar...two thumbs up on your last post.....

mdonahue66.....I do see your POV but a private section wont prevent newbies from posting in the public area....the private are will just allow those who have proven themselves to be serious to have a place to talk.....it doesnt always have to be masonic discourse all the time....

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Still the same worries though. All the good stuff slowly drifts to the restricted forum. No attractive material for the newbies. Old guys slowly but surely fade away one by one (whatever happened to Patrick) and next thing you know, it's only a few of you brighter guys trying to pound the light through my thick skull!
I've seen many forums, bigger then this, fall to that. You would have an inner circle, click, or whatever you wish to call it, and the forum died a slow death.

I thought about suggesting a semi-private forum. Only verified members would be able to post in it, but all would see. But I get the feeling some do want their posts public for which ever reason, and want more of an inner circle of things.

i will make no decissions until after my second trip back from Texas. Which is early July.

Until then if you want you can check out:
[url]http://themasonicsociety.com[/URL] Paid membership, but very active and intelligent people. You will be verified.

[url]http://www.thesanctumsanctorum.com/board/cmps_index.php[/URL] Not very active, at least their "public" section, they may have a private one, but from what I can see, not much activity.

[url]http://www.freemasonstore.com/forum.php[/URL] Has some private sections

[url]http://staffs.proboards.com/index.cgi[/URL] Not sure if they have a private section or not. Do not have the login info with me to check.

[url]http://forum.mastermason.com/default.asp[/URL] Same as above

There are more, but do not have them bookmarked on the laptop.

Winter

I've been here before
You're absolutely right Jason.

I've been on the record against the private area all along. I was merely suggesting a way it might work for deciding who could have access.

Since we do not discuss Masonic secrets here there is no need for a secure discussion area. Should a person come into our area who only wants to disrupt our harmony, then we will do what wee always do and band together to fight off the barbarians at the gates. Even the occasional troll we get can serve to teach us lessons and for the most part they are but a small distraction.

I will voice my opinion here the same way I voted, that we don't need a members only section. We have great discussions that should be accessible to everyone. But that's just my two shekels!

G

Gary

I too was only making suggestions , I do not care either way . I just go with the flow .

At this point in the game, I feel the same way. I personally think it's worth trying, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Okay, can we just start a restricted forum for where our Lodges' keep our share of the National Treasure?
:D:eek:

CoachN

Builder Builder
There is a good reason to have areas that are designated EA, FC and MM only.
These are areas that each degree topics, symbolism and issues -- but not the secrets -- can be discussed.
  1. These are not areas to reveal anything that is a secret.
  2. They are areas for those who choose to enter them fully understanding in advance that the discourse exchanged is at a specific level.
  3. Those whom are lesser levels can enter knowing full well that they are going to be exposed to discourse that is not intended to be heard by them -- yet.
  4. Should they choose to enter prematurely, they only do damage to their own experience of Masonry.
For examples: I believe earnestly that the Winding SC, O's of Architecture and FC WT discussions are FC topics and above. I believe too that Rough Characters, GMHA and other Substitute topics should be left to MMs and not EAs or FCs.

Far too many entitled and governing posters think that these areas are for the posters entitled to be there -- that is a red herring. The purpose is solely to warn those who are not entitled to be there that they do damage to themselves if they choose to and do enter -- nothing more, nothing less. These areas are to protect the young whom are respectful of thier path, not the disrespectful!

Treat these areas with any other philosophy or intent and you will do damage to yourselves.

$0.02

Bro. Coach N

G

Gary

There is a good reason to have areas that are designated EA, FC and MM only.
These are areas that each degree topics, symbolism and issues -- but not the secrets -- can be discussed.
  1. These are not areas to reveal anything that is a secret.
  2. They are areas for those who choose to enter them fully understanding in advance that the discourse exchanged is at a specific level.
  3. Those whom are lesser levels can enter knowing full well that they are going to be exposed to discourse that is not intended to be heard by them -- yet.
  4. Should they choose to enter prematurely, they only do damage to their own experience of Masonry.
For examples: I believe earnestly that the Winding SC, O's of Architecture and FC WT discussions are FC topics and above. I believe too that Rough Characters, GMHA and other Substitute topics should be left to MMs and not EAs or FCs.

Far too many entitled and governing posters think that these areas are for the posters entitled to be there -- that is a red herring. The purpose is solely to warn those who are not entitled to be there that they do damage to themselves if they choose to and do enter -- nothing more, nothing less. These areas are to protect the young whom are respectful of their path, not the disrespectful!

Treat these areas with any other philosophy or intent and you will do damage to yourselves.

$0.02

Bro. Coach N
Thanks for the input Bro. Coach. I appreciate your contribution to the discussion.

edwmax

A restricted, private or Tyled area will allow for 'private' discussions without interference of non-masons. On MasterMason.com, all public discussions are index & cached by the search engine bots; some even before the admins can delete them. These are available for public web-searches in detail by google and others. ... 'tyled' discussions are not accessed by the search bots and can not be cached. .... Discussions (& arguments) are Private. And, as such, unauthorized access by persons looking for 'dirt' on Freemasonry or an individual form causal forum discussions is prevented.

As long as the 'admin & mods' do not have a hierarchy resembling the structure of a Lodge (& names) or the tyled/private area do not resemble a Lodge in structure; there should not be a problem of a GL accusing the forum of operating a 'Clandestine Lodge' online.

Most forum software has the ability to have membership groups. By setting up the groups, members can be differentiated as public (newbie, jr, sr) or verified members (EA, FC, MM). On MasterMason.com, all 'quarrymen' are MMs of recognized US regular GL; PHA or member of a GL/Lodge recognized by the GLoS, GLoI or UGLE. All others are deemed Clandestine as for as the forum is concerned and not legible for 'tyled' access.
For the purpose of the forum, it should be immaterial if the GLs within the recognized group do not all recognized each other. ..... Basically, now anyone, even Clandestine Masons can participate in discussions on FreemasonHall as long as they are civil. I hate educating the Clandestine Mason and wantabe's.

A 'private' area for masonic discussions by Masons would be good.

Winter

I've been here before
But who's jurisdiction is the standard for Regularity? Who counts as a Mason and who does not?

edwmax

But who's jurisdiction is the standard for Regularity? Who counts as a Mason and who does not?
It is not a matter of who's jurisdictional standard will govern; but the fact the MM is recognized by one of these: .... recognized US regular GL (mainstream); PHA or member of a GL/Lodge recognized by the GLoS, GLoI or UGLE. ... Trying of non-US Master Masons get difficult and these (except Canada) GL/Lodges do not issue Dues Cards. .... Further, my GL and all others, deem it improper to directly contact a foreign Lodge or Secretary for official business; ie, verifying the "Good Standing" of a member. So this can get you an reprimand from your GM if the foreign Lodge complains.

Regularity and Recognition are different. Recognition is on a case by case basis by every GL in the world.