Tyled Forums?

Should FMH develop Tyled Forums?

• Yes, it's long over due

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Yes, as long as there were rules in place.

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Not only no, Heck No!

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
Well that would work . A "Private" section that is by invitation only from the Admin & Mods after members proved that they are serious about Freemasonry , posting quality posts and prove to us they plan to stick around . Members like Winter , Patrick , Duncan and quiet a few others would be a start (sorry if I did not include all regular posters but I do not have everyone's screen names in front of me ). Heck , we could even allow Fireman in though he is a trouble maker (Just Joking ) !!!!
Who me????? I am as gentle and pure as the driven snow.....:p

G

Gary

OK, it seems that we have some sort of format to go with in developing a more "suitable atmosphere" for discussion away from spammers and trolls.

Those that are interested in helping or who have suggestions and ideas please PM me. I will make a list of the ideas and forward them to the Admin/Staff for their consideration in this project.

The Admin has the final say in anything that comes out of this, but since he's busy with family right now, we can at least form up an outline of what we'd like him to consider.

Ashlar pretty much hit the nail on the head as to where we need to go with this as far as I'm concerned.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Well that would work . A "Private" section that is by invitation only from the Admin & Mods after members proved that they are serious about Freemasonry , posting quality posts and prove to us they plan to stick around . Members like Winter , Patrick , Duncan and quiet a few others would be a start (sorry if I did not include all regular posters but I do not have everyone's screen names in front of me ). Heck , we could even allow Fireman in though he is a trouble maker (Just Joking ) !!!!
That works for me.,

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I am still in Texas and working off of a laptop. I cannot do my typical notes and then respond like at home. I HATE latops. So I may miss a few things.

First of all, this is not to restrict the site to non-masons, or to close viewing of the site to them. This will not help with trolls and spammers. They are like fool traps. You can build a better trap for them, and they become a better fool. Sadly trolls and spammers are part of the internet.

Second, this is just a primary talk of how to verify someone who joins is a Freemason if they do indeed claim to be. IF the system works over a period of time, I MAY consider a private forum. Although nothing that is not discussed in our current Masonic forum already will be discussed. So I do not see much value in it right now, and would be afraid it would take away from the current forum, and thus giving people less of a reason to join since they will see a slower and less active forum in general.

This is right now to establish who is a Mason, and who is not. This of course will be a volutener basis. I know some Brothers who do not wish their internet activities be known by their Lodge, which makes verification a bit difficult. Their reasons are their own, and I do not blame them one bit.

The referral system is one idea. And could be possible. However, it would make those who do not know anyone here be a bit difficult.

We also need to figure out how and what to display, and if we should verify on a yearly basis, to make sure no Brothers have been suspended or such.

Lettuce first get over the first hurdle of how to verify, before we jump into other things. Crawl before we run.

Agreed with all Jason's points. We had a discussion a week or two ago about the slowing of activity on this forum. If we had a private section, I have a feeling most of the vibrant threads would move there, attracting less than the usual traffic. Take a look at the Initiation section. No posts since mid-May. There hasn't been a new member in 10 days, and that was a goofy one-post about Bin-Laden and then disappear. Anything that doesn't violate my obs, I don't care who I say in front of, and if it could violate my obligations, it won't be said.....anywhere, but particularly the internet where nothing ever goes away. Finally, as far as verification, I don't want a scanned copy of my dues card floating around in cyberspace, and although my lodge secretary would be happy to verify, don't all of our secretaries have more than enough on their plates??

I know. I'll try working on turning my skeptisism. :) I like to tell myself that I'm the most positive guy in the world, but my wife often begs to differ! I do truly believe that it would take the moderators a h*lluva lot of work to maintain security appropriately, and everybody is so darn busy these days, and would we really gain that much??? Convince me, I'll stay open minded!!! (Yes, I'm the one vote for "Not only No, Heck No!"

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
To be honest , I do not care one way or the other . I do not want a "private" section to take place of the open " General Freemasonry" section .

The only reason I would like to see one is for those discussions that may tend to get a little more heated or are considered sensitive . For example , some Masons like to air Lodge/Grand Lodge dirty laundry on the internet , not matter if it is their jurisdiction or not . Though I am a firm believer in keeping things in house and allowing jurisdictions to work out their problems on their own without outsiders sticking their nose in said jurisdiction's business , I will not censor anyone . These are really the only things that I would like to keep between brothers only . Anything else should be posted in the "general" threads .

The only thing I do not like about it is the use of the word "Tyled" , this gives the impression (to some) that we are conversing about such things that would be consider taboo .

I believe the thread or section would be one where trusted Brothers could have a discussion open and freely....without fear of being hijacked by a troll or spam....I dont believe anyone is wanting or trying to set up a section to have deep conversations that could potentially violate anyones OB.......

I believe the thread or section would be one where trusted Brothers could have a discussion open and freely....without fear of being hijacked by a troll or spam....I dont believe anyone is wanting or trying to set up a section to have deep conversations that could potentially violate anyones OB.......
If we weed out all the trolls, how's Winter going to have any fun?!

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
Perhaps a compromise between having a verified forum and not, so just a tag on the member's sidebar that says "Verified MM" or something like that? I personally wouldn't have any problem with either questioning via PM or simply scanning my dues card.

Winter

I've been here before
Perhaps a compromise between having a verified forum and not, so just a tag on the member's sidebar that says "Verified MM" or something like that? I personally wouldn't have any problem with either questioning via PM or simply scanning my dues card.
As has been discussed before, the scanning in of dues cards for access to member sections on forums has led to some problems. Particularly when those images are hacked and stolen and used by non-Masons for nefarious purposes. Most of us leave a big enough footprint on the net as it is! lol

I may be wrong but I take what Brother Gary is looking for is a "troll free zone"...basically a thread that is not available to John Q Public..... and if a newbie comes along and his actions prove laudable then he may get the invite to participate in that particular section.....

Winter

I've been here before
I may be wrong but I take what Brother Gary is looking for is a "troll free zone"...basically a thread that is not available to John Q Public..... and if a newbie comes along and his actions prove laudable then he may get the invite to participate in that particular section.....
That is probably the only method that will work to be honest. A select group here that is known to be on the level as the first "Inner Circle" that offers an invite to a select group of forum members after they have spent enough time on the board that they have shown their worth and are not Trolls.

Since the private section will not be used to discuss anything that would violate our Ob. it is not so important that the individuals be Masons from a recognized jurisdiction. But rather a poster that has shown that they are here for good honest discussions and not a [redacted]! lol

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
That is probably the only method that will work to be honest. A select group here that is known to be on the level as the first "Inner Circle" that offers an invite to a select group of forum members after they have spent enough time on the board that they have shown their worth and are not Trolls.

Since the private section will not be used to discuss anything that would violate our Ob. it is not so important that the individuals be Masons from a recognized jurisdiction. But rather a poster that has shown that they are here for good honest discussions and not a [redacted]! lol
Oh man! I'll never get an invitation to that zone.

:D

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer

I like this methodology of select, a PM to the individual who gets selected letting them know they have access to the 'Restricted' forum, logon to it and there ya go!

I am a member of 2 forums with 'officers' forums that only members can access, so we can talk about stuff that is not for everyone on the rest of the forum. Works great.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board

This does sound awesome... and when I'm a little older and I stopping using my sippy cup maybe I'll get in.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
By invite only of those who have proved themselves as serious posters to the forum is really the only way to go . No OB violations , no scanned in dues cards to worry about , no worries .