Tyled Forums?

Should FMH develop Tyled Forums?

• Yes, it's long over due

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Yes, as long as there were rules in place.

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Not only no, Heck No!

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Well there was a Brother who PM'ed me saying he would help with a verified system. If we can get a few Brothers interested in pulling something off, I would give it a shot.

We would need to work out the details though. How will we verify, what it should say under their account, how often should we re-check - if at all. And all the other little nitty gritty.

Maybe when I get back home, we can work something out, if there is interest it in. And if all the GL's ever get on the same page about who is what, we can quickly transfer over to something like that.

I do not think a verified system should cause any problems with any GL's.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
We use multiple layers of security in our computer systems at work because every one of them has holes. The idea is that one layer of security will compensate for the holes in the previous ones. Every test of regularity can be defeated on it's own. I can look up all kinds of answers in Morgan. I can download a scanned dues card.

The one thing I can't get on the Internet is someone who will vouch for me. There are several men on this forum I would vouch for. Not because I've sat in lodge with them, but because of their behavior on the forums. Coach, Fireman, Gary, Duncan, and several others come to mind. I would hope at least some of them would vouch for me, too.

On that note, perhaps the tyled sections of this forum should be based on a multi-tiered security setup. I see a process like this:

1) Based on sitting in lodge with someone and/or a fairly long history of Masonic behavior in their posts, they can be invited to apply have access to the tyled forums by a current member. The invitation is copied to an admin.
2) They send a scan of their dues card to an admin.
3) The admin "tries" them with private messages.

If all three layers of security are passed, then they get access.

Just thinking......

G

Gary

I'm game for helping in the process, although I think we'll need more than two Brothers to accomplish what has been suggested.

G

Gary

Keep in mind we need to negate the term "Tyled" in favor of restricted access.

The point is to not cause jurisdictional conflict, but to allow a safer realm in which to communicate. Verification of worthy participation is the key I believe.

I think it's safe to say that none of us want to open Pandoras box.

G

Gary

I agree. The last thing I would want is for a Brother to get jammed up because of participation on FMH.
None of us want that. The focus of this whole endeavor is not to emulate a Lodge, but to curtail the spam and trolls that frequently plague us.

I for one do not, I repeat... DO NOT want to engage in conversation or be associated with those who engage in acts that could bring Masonic charges against me.

I hate to be a skeptic, but I don't see the point of putting in the work. The benefit seems to be insignificant. We still cannot discuss anything that is deemed to be a secret, and the trolls will take it as a challenge to access a "restricted" masonic forum, believing they will learn all the secrets of masonry, and they'll probably will find a way to beat/access the system. Too many of these trolls have way too much time on their hands.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Good point! So we SHOULD setup a 'restricted' section just so the trolls have something to pick at. :D

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
There are law enforcement forums out there that have restricted areas, and who also verify membership with a tag saying, "Verified LEO", under the person's avatar. In the restricted areas on those sites, at least the ones I am familiar with, no one is disclosing criminal histories or other confidential information. It does however allow for a bit more confidence in knowing who you are discussing topics with.

Also, in the case of FMH, seeing that a person is verified as a MM, would give more credence to those who are attempting to answer (or ask) questions in the Ask A Mason section and whatnot.

Just my 55.75 kopecks...

G

Gary

There are law enforcement forums out there that have restricted areas, and who also verify membership with a tag saying, "Verified LEO", under the person's avatar. In the restricted areas on those sites, at least the ones I am familiar with, no one is disclosing criminal histories or other confidential information. It does however allow for a bit more confidence in knowing who you are discussing topics with.

Also, in the case of FMH, seeing that a person is verified as a MM, would give more credence to those who are attempting to answer (or ask) questions in the Ask A Mason section and whatnot.

Just my 55.75 kopecks...
True, but there are jurisdictional differences in Masonry as to who can talk to whom, where in law enforcement a cop is a cop.

We need to work out a system of checks and balances to keep everything square and on the level. This will take some brainstorming.

I think we need to verify that the person has legit reasons for being on the forum....I dont mind a non mason coming on and asking questions or for that matter an anti-mason as long as they were respectful. I am sure we have a few knowledgeable Brothers that could handle tough questions from an opposing point of view.....sometimes a good lesson can come about from an opposing POV.....

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I think a "private" section for FHM members who have a certain amount of quality posts would be a start . As stated before , we are not going to be chatting about things that goes against our OBs' and as seen on here , we can pretty much tell who are Masons and who are impostors fairly quickly .

This is , if we are only looking for a section where we can go that the trolls , spammers and anti's can not view . I could name more than a few FMH regulars that would rate admission into a "private" section already .

Just spit balling here .

G

Gary

Well I'd say you are a good shot with the spit ball's. That's exactly what I wanted to do when I started this whole ruckus! :D

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Well that would work . A "Private" section that is by invitation only from the Admin & Mods after members proved that they are serious about Freemasonry , posting quality posts and prove to us they plan to stick around . Members like Winter , Patrick , Duncan and quiet a few others would be a start (sorry if I did not include all regular posters but I do not have everyone's screen names in front of me ). Heck , we could even allow Fireman in though he is a trouble maker (Just Joking ) !!!!

G

Gary

I'll vouch for Fireman. He may be a Truckie, but he's on the level. :D:cool: