What do you want out of Masonry ?

Winter

I've been here before
The Brothers here who have stated emphatically that they, and most other, Masons are not interested in the esoteric discussion within Masonry are absolutely correct. This is why you find that discussion happening less and less in public forums such as this one. We have withdrawn into our inner circles where we happily spend our time edifying ourselves with great enjoyment. We have grown tired of trying to bring the light of the Mystery Tradition that was so carefully preserved by our past Brothers to the Freemasons of today who could care less about it. They are not interested. So be it. I am sure they are still fine men and Masons. But I am personally disheartened that there was nothing contained within the Craft rituals that sparked even the smallest desire to seek out the hidden mysteries among so many men.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Well, that's bloody depressing. :(
Depressing? I have other more appropriate words for it, but it would offend most if I used them.

If it depresses you, prove the nay sayers wrong. Its also complacency that is killing forum discussions as well.

Winter

I've been here before
I have nothing but respect for those like Brother Nagy who continue the fight. I haven't given up either. But I will admit to posting here less for lack of interest. I may be back soon. Who knows.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I have nothing but respect for those like Brother Nagy who continue the fight. I haven't given up either. But I will admit to posting here less for lack of interest. I may be back soon. Who knows.
Yet another Masonic Buffalo heading for greener pastures. Truly sad.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
None of them are even dipping their toes in the water. they can't drown!
Then Freemasonry is failing them. Either by lessening our standards (7 year long degrees (right Winter) ), requiring more than just memorizing some words and parroting them back (writing papers), being able to explain the lessons BEHIND the words of our OBs, etc. That is what drove Winter & his Lodge Brothers to start an emulation Lodge.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Then Freemasonry is failing them. Either by lessening our standards (7 year long degrees (right Winter) ), requiring more than just memorizing some words and parroting them back (writing papers), being able to explain the lessons BEHIND the words of our OBs, etc. That is what drove Winter & his Lodge Brothers to start an emulation Lodge.
DING DING DING!!!! Bingo.

Josh

OK, I have been off for a few days but signed on and seen 4 alerts haha, so I decided to jump back into the discussion. I can only speak for myself but I've read some of the esoteric discussions and I'm honestly anticipating my initiation so I can actually hear and learn things more firsthand. I felt weird telling my interviewers and the other fellow men that my main interest was learning the secrets and actually getting involved in the history and all of that good stuff. I have no idea why but some of the research I have done made me actually think Freemasons were more about charity then other things. That's why I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread because now I know that joining to learn is a good thing. I know my lodge was happy about getting such a young guy involved because I guess its this way from most lodges but a big part of our members don't really show up to everything and that's one of their concerns with me, but I think they guy that gave me that petition is now regretting it because I call him regularly asking if there's anything I can do while I wait for the initiation, I can not wait to get involved in all the history and learning.

Winter

I've been here before
"Freemasonry's greatest problems are lack of interest in its teachings and attendance at communications. Many plans have been devised by Masonic leaders to stimulate interest and increase attendance, but few such efforts are more than temporarily effective.

The initial appeal of the Ancient Craft is as strong to-day as it has ever been. Freemasonry attracts as good men now as in the past. But in the absence of a concerted effort to teach quickly what in a more leisurely age could be spread over many years, the Institution often fails to hold the interest of the new brother against the many attractions of modern life."

From the Forward written by Howard R. Cruse, PGM, August 7, 1931
"Introduction to Freemasonry, Volume I, by Carl H. Claudy.

This battle we fight is not new.

I own originals (of course, lol) but you can view the entirety of the text here.
http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/claudy1.html