Building Boaz Book Challenge

FF Sparky

I hope I have waited long enough to respond to this thread. I have done further research to find a explanation as this(hopefully in my own words to the best of my ablitities)....The Black and White checkered Pavement was a Mosiac Floor, with a bunch of black and white colored pebbles making up the checkers which in turn means 'Good and Evil' now the floors were not the only thing that may have had this pattern as there was mention that all the outer courts may have had this mosaic pattern also.

The question I have is...Why would you represent 'Good' and 'Evil'. Why represent 'Evil' at all inside the Temple?

Winter

I've been here before
To call the black portions of the mosaic pavement "evil" is an over simplification of the representation. It is representative of a mans life which is "checkered" in good and bad. Not only in the actions taken by the man, but also the situations he finds himself in and the things he has happen to him. His thoughts, deeds, words, everything, can be represented in the whole by this mosaic pavement, there to teach us that it is the whole, not the individual parts, that is important. None of our own personal mosaic pavement are all white or all black.

FF Sparky

Upon further research, I may need to change my original thought, not that it was wrong.

My new and revised answer will be....

The checkered pavement represent opposites. Black and white, good and evil, joy and sorrow, prosperity and destitution, day and night. All the opposites that man walks upon in his journey of life or "checkered existence on earth".

CoachN

Builder Builder
Upon further research, I may need to change my original thought, not that it was wrong.

My new and revised answer will be....

The checkered pavement represent opposites. Black and white, good and evil, joy and sorrow, prosperity and destitution, day and night. All the opposites that man walks upon in his journey of life or "checkered existence on earth".
Nice! Kudos!

Try to stretch it more. If it represented a Threshing-floor, what further might you gather from this representation?

Coach N

FF Sparky

If by the 'Threshing-floor' I'm assuming you don't mean the place where the farmers would winnow their grains, but rather a place of worship. Worship being a time of 'threshing' where we winnow the good from the bad in our lives through our Deity.

CoachN

Builder Builder
If by the 'Threshing-floor' I'm assuming you don't mean the place where the farmers would winnow their grains, but rather a place of worship. Worship being a time of 'threshing' where we winnow the good from the bad in our lives through our Deity.
I was referring to the farmers and their activities.

FF Sparky

The 'Checkered Pavement' we were refering to wasn't used for a 'threshing-floor' for farmers...or am I now confussed?? I found the definition of a threshing floor that was used for winnowing the grains. Usually place up on a hill. they would use cattle to grind up the grain and stalks,then toss this in the air with a wood type fork and the wind would blow the lighter less desirable chaff away and the heavier grain would fall to their feet to be collected for its use.

CoachN

Builder Builder
The 'Checkered Pavement' we were refering to wasn't used for a 'threshing-floor' for farmers...or am I now confussed?? I found the definition of a threshing floor that was used for winnowing the grains. Usually place up on a hill. they would use cattle to grind up the grain and stalks,then toss this in the air with a wood type fork and the wind would blow the lighter less desirable chaff away and the heavier grain would fall to their feet to be collected for its use.
The "Checkered Pavement" is on the exact spot (symbolically) where King David purchased land to place his Altar. That land he purchased was used for a specific purpose by the guy he bought it from.

FF Sparky

"And David said to Ornan, "Give me the site of the threshing floor that I may build on it an altar to The Lord - give it to me at its full price - that the plague may be averted from the people." Then Ornan said to David, "Take it; and let my lord the king do what seems good to him; see, I give the oxen for burnt offerings, and the threshing sledges for the wood, and the wheat for a cereal offering. I give it all." But King David said to Ornan, "No, but I will buy it for the full price; I will not take for The Lord what is yours, nor offer burnt offerings which cost me nothing." So David paid Ornan six hundred shekels of gold by weight for the site." (1 Chronicles 21:22-25 RSV)

I found this after more searching. I don't know the bible well so I don't have the answers, but glad you give me the nudge to look these things up. It is helping me learn alot. One day I will be able to share what I know to others.

CoachN

Builder Builder
...I found this after more searching. I don't know the bible well so I don't have the answers, but glad you give me the nudge to look these things up. It is helping me learn alot. One day I will be able to share what I know to others.
That is my hope. ;)

Winter

I've been here before
Sorry Coach, I'm just not seeing the connection on this one. I understand where you want it to go with the wheat heads = white squares and the chaff = black squares on the mosaic pavement and Masons winnowing what is important from what is not. (i.e. an EA divesting themselves of superfluities) I just don't know that I agree with your symbolism on this one.

Mount Moriah was used for winnowing until it was purchased by David where he built an altar for sacrifice. It wasn't until his son Solomon built The Temple that the mosaic pavement comes in. My point is, once the land was purchased it ceased to be used for the purpose of winnowing and became a place dedicated to sacrifice and offerings to G-d. And most every lecture focuses on the mosaic pavement as a representation of the good and bad in persons life making a whole. It is no coincidence that our altars in our Lodges are placed at the center of these mosaic pavements. Don't get me wrong, there are arguments to be made about sacrifice and divesting.

We already, though, have a working tool in Masonic symbolism that has the symbolic use of divesting ourselves from superfluities, or unnecessary aspects that are distractions, or keep us from positive growth. Basically winnowing.

I am not dismissing your connections out of hand, I just feel there are many more important lessons that can be gleaned from the acquisition of Mount Moriah by David than this one. For instance, a sacrifice that costs one nothing is worthless, and a place of worship acquired unfairly diminishes it.

FF Sparky

That was my first thought Brother Winter. But I didn't know that it was a place for winnowing so I did learn something there. And being that it was a place for winnowing grains and chaff previously, would it not still be considered a place for winnowng the symbolic 'grain and chaff' representing the 'good and bad' in ones life with the help of the Supreme Being at that altar that was placed there?

FF Sparky

a sacrifice that costs one nothing is worthless, and a place of worship acquired unfairly diminishes it.
But this only refers to the purchase of the property from Ornan and the negotiations of the deal. I can agree there is more to learn from this, but the information on winnowing isn't incorrect. Is it?

Winter

I've been here before
But this only refers to the purchase of the property from Ornan and the negotiations of the deal. I can agree there is more to learn from this, but the information on winnowing isn't incorrect. Is it?
No, it doesn't only refer to the purchase, in Torah study these facts are used to apply much more broadly.

My only contention with the connection is what I see as a tenuous connection between the winnowing, place of sacrifice, and the mosaic pavement in Judaism and Masonry.