Hiram Abiff

G

Gary

No, it's not about quantity at all. It's about quality. But that doesn't mean that a prospective member has to be an esotericist to become a Mason. Quality men come in all stripes, and I maintain that our fraternity has the room for them all.
I think we are dancing around the point that joining the fraternity for social gain, isn't what the purpose is. Joining just so you can be a Shriner or whatever, is not serving the Blue Lodge.

While each man may or may not choose to delve deeper into the Esoterics of our order, the fact remains that even in a literal interpretation of our teachings it's not about being just a good guy in a social circle.

What really sticks in my craw is that these socialites are the ones who wind up dictating how our Lodges function. To beat a dead horse, I'll use Masonic Education for an example. The only thing being taught here in Florida is the GL constitution, rules and regulations. And the occasional smattering of redundant history. ANYTHING outside of the "list" is taboo.

Keep it simple for the socialites. I strongly disagree Brother. Long live Hiram!

Winter

I've been here before
I have to disagree with you Patrick. If a man comes through our doors and is Truly prepared then he would never be here for just a social club.

Why would anyone go through all of the rituals just to hang out with some guys? Wouldn't it be much easier to just fill out an application at the Moose Lodge?

If the process was handled correctly, then no men would ever enter our halls that were not true initiates of the hidden mysteries. A great deal of socialization happens among the men on the same path seeking enlightenment as they become bound to one another as family.

I do not, however, consider a man my Brother who is there for the dinner and cannot distinguish the Level from the Plumb and sees no need to.

Can we put Masonry back in the closet? Just curious! :)

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Then you would exclude the vast majority of those who come to us. I have seen Brothers who come "just to go to the playground" (the Shrine) or, well, there are SO many reasons. You would exclude them? Tell me how we know what is really in a man's heart.

No, it is not. But it is AMONG the reasons for our existence. All of the reasons are valid, for a given definition of valid. In every jurisdiction I have belonged to, the 'qualifications' for becoming a Mason are that a person be of the proper age and not have a felony record (and sometimes I have even seen a felony record overlooked). So ... whether right, wrong, or indifferent, any other qualification a man brings to the Lodge is his own. Not for me to judge.

[Yoda mode]Ah, Padawan, for you the light begins to dawn. Mmmm. :D [/Yoda mode] Maybe I won't have to kill you after all.
From my short term point of view: Freemasons accept all men (& In some jurisdictions women) by their character not by their external manifestations.

To me that means that my relationships should be based upon not the externals of a person, but rather by what they do.
We all push the rock as far as we are able, for some that is leagues, for others one inch, both have value and worth, both contribute. If you have the ability to push the rock but won't that is were your character is truly shines through.

The Starfish Story

By City Year
A young girl was walking along a beach upon which thousands of starfish had been washed up during a terrible storm. When she came to each starfish, she would pick it up, and throw it back into the ocean. People watched her with amusement.

She had been doing this for some time when a man approached her and said, “Little girl, why are you doing this? Look at this beach! You can’t save all these starfish. You can’t begin to make a difference!”

The girl seemed crushed, suddenly deflated. But after a few moments, she bent down, picked up another starfish, and hurled it as far as she could into the ocean. Then she looked up at the man and replied,

“Well, I made a difference to that one!”

The old man looked at the girl inquisitively and thought about what she had done and said. Inspired, he joined the little girl in throwing starfish back into the sea. Soon others joined, and all the starfish were saved. - adapted from the Star Thrower by Loren C. Eiseley

I volunteer for two adaptive ski programs, in one we deal exclusively with people with vision issues (VIs, Visually Impaired, from high partials to totals). In the other we work with people with very other disability under the sun. In one I am on the Ski School, on the other I am a mule (a helper, lifter), I push the rock of these endeavors different amounts, I receive smiles for pay. It is well worth the aches, pains, etc. The rock is moved, it made all the difference in the world to that starfish.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I think we are dancing around the point that joining the fraternity for social gain, isn't what the purpose is. Joining just so you can be a Shriner or whatever, is not serving the Blue Lodge.
Well, that begs the question: What is the purpose, as you see it for the Lodge to exist in the first place? I agree that joining just to be a Shriner does not serve the Blue Lodge, but where is it written that the only valid reason to become a Mason is to serve the Blue Lodge? I joined this fraternity 'looking for light', and I have found more than a glimmer or two along the way. The Blue Lodge will always be my primary focus, because, to be frank, that's where I found the most light. But I've met, sat with, and loved (in a brotherly way, of course. ;) ) many, many Masons, almost all of whom are really there for social reasons. I look at them and I can not say that their presence is somehow diminished because they're not after the same things I am.

While each man may or may not choose to delve deeper into the Esoterics of our order, the fact remains that even in a literal interpretation of our teachings it's not about being just a good guy in a social circle.
Once again, I agree. But, it appears, that many of our members do not agree with that. How can it be that you and I are 'right' and they are 'wrong'?

What really sticks in my craw is that these socialites are the ones who wind up dictating how our Lodges function. To beat a dead horse, I'll use Masonic Education for an example. The only thing being taught here in Florida is the GL constitution, rules and regulations. And the occasional smattering of redundant history. ANYTHING outside of the "list" is taboo.
Yeah, that sort of thing gets to me, too, sometimes. But as is the case with most of the 'mystery schools' I've studied, the real work is in your own heart anyway (or, in the Greek mysteries, in your liver, but I digress). So I, for one, do my own work using what I've learned in the Lodge (and elsewhere). Occasionally, very occasionally, I run into another Brother who 'thinks the way I do'. Then it gets really fun! I still truly enjoy going to Lodge and hanging out with my brethren, though. And every time I hear them parrot back the work, I find something (no matter how small) that hits me differently than it ever did before, increasing my 'light'.

Keep it simple for the socialites. I strongly disagree Brother. Long live Hiram!
Who said, "keep it simple for the socialites"? All I said was that, according to our rules as I understand them, the socialites have as much right to the Lodge as I do.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I have to disagree with you Patrick. If a man comes through our doors and is Truly prepared then he would never be here for just a social club.
I like that way of thinking, Winter, I really do.

Why would anyone go through all of the rituals just to hang out with some guys? Wouldn't it be much easier to just fill out an application at the Moose Lodge?
I dunno. But it appears to be the case. Well, really, I think that most candidates these days ARE seeking light. Then, when they realize that we're not going to serve up a steaming helping of it, but expect them to fill their own plate, they fall back on the social aspect. I certainly could be wrong about this, but who knows? As for the Moose Lodge: they have a bar, too! Actually, I know a lot of Masons (usually older ones) who are also Moose, Elks, Eagles, etc. I kid about being a joiner: these guys have me beat hands down.

If the process was handled correctly, then no men would ever enter our halls that were not true initiates of the hidden mysteries. A great deal of socialization happens among the men on the same path seeking enlightenment as they become bound to one another as family.
The idea that there is a 'correct' method sticks in my craw. I still think that those who come to Masonry then settle into the social element are (and should be) as welcome as anyone else. But that's me. YMMV.

I do not, however, consider a man my Brother who is there for the dinner and cannot distinguish the Level from the Plumb and sees no need to.
All Masons are not your brother?

Can we put Masonry back in the closet? Just curious! :)
Lolol! Prolly not. We can just keep out little portion of it tucked underneath an out of the way carpet.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer

Sounds like time for Revolution. Masons know how to revolt.
...Or, they used to.

S&F

G

Gary

<snip>

Who said, "keep it simple for the socialites"? All I said was that, according to our rules as I understand them, the socialites have as much right to the Lodge as I do.
Who said it? I did.

Again, I'll ask each one of them...Why did you join? and what do you want out of Freemasonry? For those who joined seeking further light, and did not receive it. Who's fault is that?

I respectfully submit that it may well be the fault of the Brother so seeking, AND the fraternity for allowing itself to fall into this mess to begin with.

Give a man a chisel and gavel and tell him to carve. If he has instructions (or at least the ability to receive those instructions) you might get a work of art.

Ask the man who receives no instruction (or never wanted it to begin with) and tell him to carve. You get nothing. Nothing of benefit to the Lodge either.

How do we go back into the closet? Start by getting more particular as to who you admit.

Winter

I've been here before
How do we go back into the closet? Start by getting more particular as to who you admit.
Can't do that! How will we keep the lights on if we don't keep getting new dues paying members? :eek:

[rest of post deleted by author as too inflamatory. :) ]

G

Gary

That seems to be the main concern. But what is really happening is that the fraternity is losing the very foundation that it was built upon.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Who said it? I did.

(snip)
Ask the man who receives no instruction (or never wanted it to begin with) and tell him to carve. You get nothing. Nothing of benefit to the Lodge either.
(snip)
But, you WILL get something.
Worthless rock dust and pebbles.

Maybe it's OK that some join the craft lodge as the entry ticket to the Shrine, they certainly do laudable work there.
What I cannot stand are the lightweights who dumb down Masonry at the lodge level and think Masonic Education is boring.

S&F

Winter

I've been here before
You get very nice stumbling blocks, though! :)

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Who said it? I did.
Ah. Now I know who said that!

Again, I'll ask each one of them...Why did you join? and what do you want out of Freemasonry? For those who joined seeking further light, and did not receive it. Who's fault is that?
I respectfully submit that it may well be the fault of the Brother so seeking, AND the fraternity for allowing itself to fall into this mess to begin with.
We've been "in that mess" for a long time, Brother. Just read about what was going on in Lodge during the 1700's in England: everyone got together, ate way too much, drank themselves silly and then had political fights until they passed out. I sometimes wonder if the esoteric side of Freemasonry is not a more modern invention than we wish to credit it.

Give a man a chisel and gavel and tell him to carve. If he has instructions (or at least the ability to receive those instructions) you might get a work of art.

Unless, of course, he's a natural artist.

Well, that is certainly AN answer.

Bropreston

who`s to say when a brother may or may not truely start his search for masonic light?, we have many " knife and fork" masons in our local lodges these are good men and true but have not YET thought to look deeper, lets hope on day they do. I dont think there is a one size fits all solution to this problem, some brethren hit the ground running and some drift along at their own pace. In our province we have set up lodge "mentors" to help and tutor our newest brethren, this works very well as things are explained and the new brother does not feel isolated in lodge. I agree fully that we should certainly not dumb down or cheapen our rituals to keep/attract members, lets not forget wence we came!
S&F Bropreston

G

Gary

You know...This exactly what speculative Masonry is about. Brothers coming together and debating issues in a civilized manner.

It's this very kind of discussion that makes us better men and improves our beloved fraternity. I sincerely appreciate the different views expressed here.