Question About The Initiation Ritual

T

The Alchemist

Last night, I met up with the WM of my lodge (whose vouching for me) and the Grandmaster of the district. They set my initiation date for the 17th, along with a few other guys. From the way these guys talked about the initiation, it began to worry me. I won't repeat what was said, but my interpretation of what was said lead me to ask this question --- is the masonic initiation a degrading, humiliating process? I know you all can't tell me too much, but at least let me know that much. From the way they were talking, I couldn't help but think of the college fraternities and the humiliating, degrading things they have their initiates do.

I was thinking that maybe they were over exaggerating just to add some sort of mystery to it. But, I can't help but wonder.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
No it is NOT degrading or humiliating . All these silly jokes and teasing have no place in Freemasonry . Some think it is funny , I find them childish and see no place for them among full grown men .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Last night, I met up with the WM of my lodge (whose vouching for me) and the Grandmaster of the district. They set my initiation date for the 17th, along with a few other guys. From the way these guys talked about the initiation, it began to worry me. I won't repeat what was said, but my interpretation of what was said lead me to ask this question --- is the masonic initiation a degrading, humiliating process? I know you all can't tell me too much, but at least let me know that much. From the way they were talking, I couldn't help but think of the college fraternities and the humiliating, degrading things they have their initiates do.

I was thinking that maybe they were over exaggerating just to add some sort of mystery to it. But, I can't help but wonder.
The initiation process is not humiliating or degrading in any way shape or form. If it were, you wouldn't see so many Freemasons in this country or any other for that matter. It is a lesson for sure, but not one to play with your feelings or to degrade your character. It is a lesson that will build a solid foundation in your life, and help to make you a better man if you take that lesson and learn to work with what it teaches.

No it is NOT degrading or humiliating . All these silly jokes and teasing have no place in Freemasonry . Some think it is funny , I find them childish and see no place for them among full grown men .
I agree completely.

jaya

Friend, from your introduction post you stated that you were joining First Timothy lodge in Atlanta, GA. That lodge is under Jeff Long Grand Lodge & Electa Grand Chapter and is considered clandestine. Your initiation experience might be different from regular masonry. I would urge you to do the research and see if what I am saying is not true. If that is not your Grand Lodge, please correct me. We are trying to to be you the best advice possible. If it is your Grand Lodge, you will not be considered a mason by most of us here.

T

The Alchemist

Friend, from your introduction post you stated that you were joining First Timothy lodge in Atlanta, GA. That lodge is under Jeff Long Grand Lodge & Electa Grand Chapter and is considered clandestine. Your initiation experience might be different from regular masonry. I would urge you to do the research and see if what I am saying is not true. If that is not your Grand Lodge, please correct me. We are trying to to be you the best advice possible. If it is your Grand Lodge, you will not be considered a mason by most of us here.
That's been taken care of. The First Timothy lodge doesn't have it's charter yet, which I knew nothing about. I thought they were legit until one of the senior guys whom I've known for quite some time pulled me to the side and explained it to me. First Timothy was supposed to be receiving it's charter soon, but the senior guy told me the same thing you just did (as much as he could)...he was supposed to be joining FT as well. This same guy introduced me to a legit lodge where he'll be taking over as WM, he introduced me to the Grandmaster of the district and I'll be getting initiated into that lodge on the 17th of December.

That's been taken care of. The First Timothy lodge doesn't have it's charter yet, which I knew nothing about. I thought they were legit until one of the senior guys whom I've known for quite some time pulled me to the side and explained it to me. First Timothy was supposed to be receiving it's charter soon, but the senior guy told me the same thing you just did (as much as he could)...he was supposed to be joining FT as well. This same guy introduced me to a legit lodge where he'll be taking over as WM, he introduced me to the Grandmaster of the district and I'll be getting initiated into that lodge on the 17th of December.

So.... what GL are they currently a Lodge UD???? IF it is not either the GL of GA or the MWPHAGL of GA then you my friend are still being lead down a path of deceit......

Before I we any further, I would contact one of the two GL I mentioned (you can find contact info via the internet) and find out if what you are being told is true...... for all you know, this FT could be getting a charter from the GL of Imgonnastealyourmoneyandrun......

jaya

If it is under the Jeff Long Grand Lodge & Electa Grand Chapter Grand Lodge, the entire Grand Lodge is clandestine.

T

The Alchemist

So.... what GL are they currently a Lodge UD???? IF it is not either the GL of GA or the MWPHAGL of GA then you my friend are still being lead down a path of deceit......

Before I we any further, I would contact one of the two GL I mentioned (you can find contact info via the internet) and find out if what you are being told is true...... for all you know, this FT could be getting a charter from the GL of Imgonnastealyourmoneyandrun......
That's the point I was making...I'm no longer joining the First Timothy lodge. I was introduced to a legit lodge. Me and a few other senior Masons met up with the Grandmaster over the GL in this district. This is entirely different from the people I was dealing with before. He presented paperwork and all to verify that they were legit. So I'll be joining THAT lodge.

That's the point I was making...I'm no longer joining the First Timothy lodge. I was introduced to a legit lodge. Me and a few other senior Masons met up with the Grandmaster over the GL in this district. This is entirely different from the people I was dealing with before. He presented paperwork and all to verify that they were legit. So I'll be joining THAT lodge.

And does "THAT" have a name..... ????? Not trying to be a smart a$$....just trying to be of assistance so you dont get lead down the wrong path....again.

CoachN

Builder Builder

That depends upon what organization you are joining and where.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
That depends upon what organization you are joining and where.
This is true also . I have heard stories , but I will not say who or where as not to offend some . All I can tell you is that nothing humiliating or degrading goes on in my jurisdiction (other than a few old heads who think the jokes are cute ).

jaya

I have heard stories of a PM getting suspended for playing a joke on someone being initiated. It is not to be done here at all.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I may be overly sensitive here, but it still doesn't smell right to me for the following reasons:

Grand Masters do not preside over a district, they preside over a Jurisdiction, as in Georgia.

There are no Grand Lodges at the district level.

You have not contacted either Grand Lodge to verify their claims. I can print up a pretty convincing piece of paper that will say I am the Galactic Emperor on my computer. Complete with business cards :)

Save yourself some aggravation and check these guys out as thoroughly as they are checking you out. There are a lot of bad people trying to take advantage of well-intentioned men by using our good name, as you found out with FT.

Azpir8king

this is simple. Here is the recognized Grand Lodge of GA website>>>>>>. Home
on that site is a link to actual Lodges under their jurisdiction. Is the lodge you are joining on that list? If not, use the page to contact the GL directly for a lodge near you.

Also, the GM of GA's picture is on the page. Is that the guy you are talking to? if not....he needs to be.

I may be overly sensitive here, but it still doesn't smell right to me for the following reasons:

Grand Masters do not preside over a district, they preside over a Jurisdiction, as in Georgia.

There are no Grand Lodges at the district level.

You have not contacted either Grand Lodge to verify their claims. I can print up a pretty convincing piece of paper that will say I am the Galactic Emperor on my computer. Complete with business cards :)

Save yourself some aggravation and check these guys out as thoroughly as they are checking you out. There are a lot of bad people trying to take advantage of well-intentioned men by using our good name, as you found out with FT.
I wanna be one too........:4-ufo:

A+++ on the other info too

jaya

He might be talking about the DDGM. He also might be talking to the MWPHGL of GA. However, since he was talking about joining a clandestine lodge, I would like to know the name of the one he is now talking to.

And no, nothing under the jurisdiction of the GL of GA should be degrading. (Not in a regular lodge.)

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I wanna be one too........:4-ufo:

A+++ on the other info too
I used to work for an investment management firm as a software consultant. I discovered that pretty much everyone who worked there and had contact with customers was a "vice President". As a joke, I printed up a sheet of business cards on my computer with the title "Galactic Emperor". Everyone wanted one. Every once in a while I still get phone calls from old friends there asking for the Emperor :)

i used to work for an investment management firm as a software consultant. I discovered that pretty much everyone who worked there and had contact with customers was a "vice president". As a joke, i printed up a sheet of business cards on my computer with the title "galactic emperor". Everyone wanted one. Every once in a while i still get phone calls from old friends there asking for the emperor :)
nice......