Question About The Initiation Ritual

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
In Nebraska, the Grand Custodian has made it a point for the Deputy Custodians and Apprentices to make sure that there is no horseplay or poor taste jokes during the degrees. Especially before and during the Entered Apprentice Degree. And it seems to be working.

FF Sparky

In Nebraska, the Grand Custodian has made it a point for the Deputy Custodians and Apprentices to make sure that there is no horseplay or poor taste jokes during the degrees. Especially before and during the Entered Apprentice Degree. And it seems to be working.
I believe its the JWs job to make sure it isn't joked about, or maybe it was the Stewards, I have to check. I just read about this the other day

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I believe its the JWs job to make sure it isn't joked about, or maybe it was the Stewards, I have to check. I just read about this the other day
I neglected to include that this was to be made a point by the Custodians to the individual Blue Lodges during the Custodian's visits to the lodges for ritual proficiency.

jaya

The WM makes a comment to the effect that there should be no horseplay or talking during the degrees.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
The WM makes a comment to the effect that there should be no horseplay or talking during the degrees.
MW Stewart, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, issued an edict that must be read between the first and second sections of the third degree that tells us that undue roughness, jokes or laughter during the degree will be met with Masonic charges. I think he would have preferred the ancient penalties :)

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Ummm, What's a "Custodian" in Nebraska?
Here in NC [AF&AM], our Board of Custodians governs if the ritual needs to be, or will be, changed. Their changes, of course must be implemented by the Grand Master and approved by the Grand Lodge (assuming they go along with it!).

S&F

thebrianmo

Last night, I met up with the WM of my lodge (whose vouching for me) and the Grandmaster of the district. They set my initiation date for the 17th, along with a few other guys. From the way these guys talked about the initiation, it began to worry me. I won't repeat what was said, but my interpretation of what was said lead me to ask this question --- is the masonic initiation a degrading, humiliating process? I know you all can't tell me too much, but at least let me know that much. From the way they were talking, I couldn't help but think of the college fraternities and the humiliating, degrading things they have their initiates do.

I was thinking that maybe they were over exaggerating just to add some sort of mystery to it. But, I can't help but wonder.
Absolutely not. There is nothing degrading or humiliating about the process at all, so relax and enjoy it all.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
Ummm, What's a "Custodian" in Nebraska?
Here in NC [AF&AM], our Board of Custodians governs if the ritual needs to be, or will be, changed. Their changes, of course must be implemented by the Grand Master and approved by the Grand Lodge (assuming they go along with it!).

S&F
The Grand Custodian is a proficient brother in charge of the ritual work in NE for Grand Lodge. The Deputy Custodians are proficient brothers who have districts (a number of lodges) they are in charge of and work to keep the ritual as close to right as possible. The Appentice Custodians work with the Deputy Custodians to eventually become proficient and custodians themselves.

I know other jurisdictions have the same position only it is known by a different name.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
The Grand Custodian is a proficient brother in charge of the ritual work in NE for Grand Lodge. The Deputy Custodians are proficient brothers who have districts (a number of lodges) they are in charge of and work to keep the ritual as close to right as possible. The Appentice Custodians work with the Deputy Custodians to eventually become proficient and custodians themselves.

I know other jurisdictions have the same position only it is known by a different name.
Sounds like your Grand Custodian is like our (NC-AF&AM) Grand Lecturer,
and your Deputy Custodian is like me, a District Deputy Grand Lecturer.
My district counterpart on the PHA side is an Assistant Grand Lecturer.
Thanks for the explanation.
I wonder what other states call them.

S&F

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
We have District Deputy Grand Masters and District Education Officers. The DDGM are considered representatives for the GM and are give the title of "Right Worshipful". They preside over inspections and other such functions for the Lodges they have under their jurisdiction. The DEO's are in charge of making sure the LEO's are doing the four or so education talks that are required by GL. LEO's are at liberty to do more.

FF Sparky

In NC the Marshall leads processions around the lodge. They are generally only officially appointed on the GL level (AF&AM); but in the PHA lodges, they seem to be an official office.

S&F
Thanks for the info, I know we had a Marshal, but wasn't sure what his job was, but to sit next to the secretary....lol

T

The Alchemist

I may be overly sensitive here, but it still doesn't smell right to me for the following reasons:

Grand Masters do not preside over a district, they preside over a Jurisdiction, as in Georgia.

There are no Grand Lodges at the district level.

You have not contacted either Grand Lodge to verify their claims. I can print up a pretty convincing piece of paper that will say I am the Galactic Emperor on my computer. Complete with business cards :)

Save yourself some aggravation and check these guys out as thoroughly as they are checking you out. There are a lot of bad people trying to take advantage of well-intentioned men by using our good name, as you found out with FT.
I didn't take my information in right that first time. But we're gonna be under: Hiram United Sovereign Grand Lodge.
Then we're supposed to be branching out and starting our own lodge. The new lodge has been issued a temporary disposition charter until the permanent charter is straight.

I didn't take my information in right that first time. But we're gonna be under: Hiram United Sovereign Grand Lodge.
Then we're supposed to be branching out and starting our own lodge. The new lodge has been issued a temporary disposition charter until the permanent charter is straight.
My friend...... if you believe this, I would like to sell you a bridge I own....

Let be blunt here:

1) Grand Lodge of Georgia- legit
2) Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Georgia PHA- legit

Any others are NOT..... if you wish you join HUSGL...knock yourself out...just be aware...you will not be considered a regular mason...

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
My friend...... if you believe this, I would like to sell you a bridge I own....

Let be blunt here:

1) Grand Lodge of Georgia- legit
2) Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Georgia PHA- legit

Any others are NOT..... if you wish you join HUSGL...knock yourself out...just be aware...you will not be considered a regular mason...
Ditto to what Fireman said.

jaya

The Hiram United Sovereign Grand Lodge is another clandestine lodge. Like I said before, one of the greatest privaledges in masonry is to be able to travel to other lodges. Under that Grand lodge, you will NOT be allowed to visit other lodges outside of that grand lodge and will not be recgonized as a mason. This is the second GL that you have tried to join that is bogus. If you join this lodge, you will not be considered a brother among regular masons. It is that simple.