Question About The Initiation Ritual

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
That is a complicated answer. non-regular Masons (aka members of clandestine lodges and non-regular grand lodges) hold views at are not 'regular' (not in the sense of constipation) female Masons and other varieties. For example: In some states in the USofA, Princehall Masons are considered clandestine, but in most states they are recognized.

It comes down to obeying the laws, rules, edicts of the GL...........................................

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
What exactly would the purpose of a clandestine lodge be? What is the point of it? I see this is an old thread so don't feel obliged to answer, I understand, just reading through here and this is fascinating stuff. John
Clandestine lodges are formed for any number of reasons. They disagree with mainstream lodges on one or more of the Landmarks and form their own "brand" of masonry. Some admit women, atheists, etc. Others are just money-making scams. Still others are formed by people rejected by mainstream lodges. I'll stick with the kind of Masonry that's worked for at least the past 295 years.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
What exactly would the purpose of a clandestine lodge be? What is the point of it? I see this is an old thread so don't feel obliged to answer, I understand, just reading through here and this is fascinating stuff. John
A clandestine lodge would be one that is not recognized by your lodge or grand lodge.
Purpose?
My step-grandfather entered a lodge in Ohio in 1917 that was apparently part of Scottish Rite attempt to exercise control over the blue lodge. When the higher numbers used in the Scottish Rite did not allow the SR to dictate policies to the grand lodges, they attempted to start a competing system of lodges that would supplant the existing system.
After Primm was Raised, he asked about how to visit other lodges, and was informed no other lodge within several hundred miles recognized it. He quit and was not able to raise the money to join a recognized lodge until 1943.

Another situation started in Boston, with African Lodge #457 being formed by the Lodge of the Irish Regiment of Foot in the early days of the American Revolution. When the regiment was moved by the Royal Army, the lodge of several African-American men was left behind, and started meeting independently. Attempts to affiliate with the newly formed Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, and later with the United Grand Lodge of England were rebuffed, allegedly due to racial prejudice, so the lodge continued meeting, declared itself a grand lodge, and began chartering other lodges and grand lodges. It named itself after its first Worshipful Master, a leather worked named Prince Hall.
You wanted to be a Mason, and they did too!

Other clandestine lodges and grand lodges exist, but I wouldn't guess why these men did not just join recognized lodges.
Google: Dr Conrad Murray Freemason [Michael Jackson's last doctor], his garb looks impressive, but only to the non-mason. His collar carries a jewel I've never seen in lodge or grand lodge.

S&F

H

Hank

I was wondering where you had gone Williams.
Someone mentions EIEIO and PUFF you appear!

bcnu

Thanks for the clarification. I understand what they are, just not the purpose. So it looks like it is mostly money. I just didn't get why one would join one if you couldln't go to other lodges. So it is basically mason lite. lol. Thanks again.

jaya

The thing is that many do not know that they are petitioning a clandestine lodge. Many times they do not find out until they try to visit a regular lodge.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
The easiest way to find out if a lodge is clandestine is to search for it on the Grand Lodge web site.

jaya

The easiest way to find out if a lodge is clandestine is to search for it on the Grand Lodge web site.
Do so with caution. If you are new to the craft, or thinking about petitioning, and come across a clandestine Grand Lodge website, then all the lodges would be clandestine. You would not know that the GL was clandestine just looking at the website. Not all grand lodges have websites. The GL of Arkansas no longer has a website. I noticed that today the website domain is scheduled from deletion even. Then there is the issue of a "mainstream" GL and a PHA GL. They will not show the other's lodges, but both are regular. They may or may not have recognition between each other depending on the state.

To be sure if they are clandestine or not, one needs to do some research. Ask about visitation between other lodges and traveling to other states and countries. Do check out the GL website and see if it is on the list found at http://bessel.org/usgls.htm and http://bessel.org/glspha.htm to start with.